Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Staggeredsix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
So, a lot of folks on here hate on modders. Apple engineering can be improved. Note I am not including a photo of the hacked up bottom case of my MBP Early 2011. Its a rough draft and another bottom case has been sent out for laser cuts.

Here some good stuff for you.

First SS is with vents and system managed fans.
Second SS is no vents and system managed fan.
Third is vents and sensor managed fans.

See the differences? OMG BUT THE AIRFLOW OVER DA MOTHERBAORD! See the drops there too? Yeah. Us modders? We win.

Attachments

• Vents:System Managed Fan.png
    Vents:System Managed Fan.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 448
  • No Vents, System Managed Fan.png
    No Vents, System Managed Fan.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 289
  • Vents:Sensor Managed Fan.png
    Vents:Sensor Managed Fan.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 284

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I wonder how long it will take until your fans are clogged with dust :p

case2001

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2010
Macbook Pro Mod Haters

I think that's impressive. 20% drop good work. As far as modding, it's your machine. Do with it what you will. Think Different! Ignore the haters. I would love to see the pictures of the bottom case even without the laser cutting.

Last edited:

Crugga

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2010
I dont think people are haters, just if people are anything like me they just dont like the idea of fiddling with their 3rd largest financial investment after house and car.
Apple buyers dont tend to be over bothered with benchmarks but more about real world use. No doubting they are the best computers on the market straight out of the box which is what most people want.

Do what you please though, what someone else does with their own computer is their business and I certainly have no opinion providing you dont touch mine ;)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Who cares what other people think of what you did to your machine.

Enjoy it and you want to mod it, go for it.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
So, a lot of folks on here hate on modders. Apple engineering can be improved. Note I am not including a photo of the hacked up bottom case of my MBP Early 2011. Its a rough draft and another bottom case has been sent out for laser cuts.

Here some good stuff for you.

First SS is with vents and system managed fans.
Second SS is no vents and system managed fan.
Third is vents and sensor managed fans.

See the differences? OMG BUT THE AIRFLOW OVER DA MOTHERBAORD! See the drops there too? Yeah. Us modders? We win.

lol i thought these were screenshots of minecraft

ha1o2surfer

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
I wonder how long it will take until your fans are clogged with dust :p

lol this is a funny comment. Fans are supposed to get airflow meaning they will, by nature suck in dust. I guess Apple reduced airflow so much that you don't have to worry about dust hehe

----------

I think that's impressive. 20% drop good work. As far as modding, it's your machine. Do with it what you will. Think Different! Ignore the haters. I would love to see the pictures of the bottom case even without the laser cutting.

I agree :)

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011

I didn't even know there was a competition! I'm so out of touch these days :(

Personally, I couldn't be bothered to take such extreme measures, but one can't ignore the results. If you're happy with them, and with the actions that you took to get them, then it shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks.

GraniteTheWolf

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2013
Wisconsin
I did something that had basically the same results. MASSIVE temperature drops and this is all I did:
IMG_0219_zps93063dff.jpg

Cant even tell its a modded bottom case when its on the system either :)

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
lol this is a funny comment. Fans are supposed to get airflow meaning they will, by nature suck in dust. I guess Apple reduced airflow so much that you don't have to worry about dust hehe

You can design the airflow in a way that dust accumulation is severely reduced.

At any rate, I agree that standard airflow of unibody MacsBook Pro's is lacking, thats why Apple improved it with the retina model. If it works for OP, glad for them :p

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
You get massive temp drops by re pasting the CPU & GPU and shining the die plates to mirrors; the two tiny parts of the 2011 that need cooling more than anything else to get that heat out of the chips as efficiently as possible.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
I don't get the fuss about temperatures. The machine is designed to run up to a certain level and when that level is breached it shuts down to prevent damage.

I am an I.T professional and the only machine I have ever forced to shut down was in about 1998 when my gaming habits was just too much for my Pentium II 400MHz CPU & Voodoo II graphics card to cope with. I blame the crappy heatsink and a case that allowed little room for the machine to breath.

I've owned dozens of different notebooks and I've not modded any of them, nor have I ever installed crappy third party utilities to tell me the temperature. Purely because I couldn't give a ****. I have better things to be doing.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
I don't get the fuss about temperatures. The machine is designed to run up to a certain level and when that level is breached it shuts down to prevent damage.

I am an I.T professional and the only machine I have ever forced to shut down was in about 1998 when my gaming habits was just too much for my Pentium II 400MHz CPU & Voodoo II graphics card to cope with. I blame the crappy heatsink and a case that allowed little room for the machine to breath.

I've owned dozens of different notebooks and I've not modded any of them, nor have I ever installed crappy third party utilities to tell me the temperature. Purely because I couldn't give a ****. I have better things to be doing.

I'm also an it pro and having had to refer well over a dozen of these 2011's off to get the GPU reballed and repasted and profiled the plates to a lot to stop the GPU failing on working 15-17 2011's. Apple have only decently pasted one machine ever - the Mac Pro 2008 with upgraded harpertown CPU. Every Macintosh runs cooler on idle with a bit of thermal TLC and co-incidentally after the work seem to go on and on, and on.

The voodoo II card was my very first foray into using better and far less thermal paste funnily enough, even with that rubbish heat sink on top!

Last edited:

ha1o2surfer

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013

The shutting down part isn't even the issue. It's the fact that throttling takes place and hurts the performance you thought you were paying. If you don't notice then you can live with it.

GraniteTheWolf

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2013
Wisconsin
I'm having trouble understanding what I'm seeing here. What did you do?

Its quite clear. I opened up the vents directly in front of the heatsink exhaust(s) This alone gave me about a 15*C drop from maximum on my i5 15" macbook pro. Used Guild Wars 2 as the benchmark to throttle the gpu and cpu.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.