Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
Just got a new Apple TV (from Costco if that matters). Is there any reason why I should use wifi connection over the wired connection? My Apple TV sits right next to my router so cabling is none issue for me.

Thanks

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Just got a new Apple TV (from Costco if that matters). Is there any reason why I should use wifi connection over the wired connection? My Apple TV sits right next to my router so cabling is none issue for me.

Thanks
Wired is better. The only thing I have really noticed that favors wireless is sometimes updates work better of wifi. I have no explanation for it, but I have seen on these forums of people having slow or stalled update downloads over ethernet but solved by switching to wireless.

As an example of my own experience recently, I was trying to update my iPhone (wired to my MBP and through iTunes) to iOS8 and it was telling me it was going to be 8 hours or more to download. Tried wirelessly and it was done in 20 minutes. I think similar things might be going on with aTV updates, but who knows?

Go wired if you can and if you have an update issue try wifi.

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
Your wifi should be way faster than your internet connection, so technical issues aside (as mentioned by mic j), you shouldn't notice a difference in speed when streaming content from any of the apps (iTunes Movies, Netflix, etc.)

:)

mlody

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
Thanks all for the info. I went with the hard wired connection as it made more sense. My router is not the newest one (wndr3700v2), and I had an empty port available so it was none issue. My Wi-Fi is already congested so that is one less device that I do not need to worry about :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.