Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
You obviously don't run VMware! If Apple sold a laptop that could have 64GB or 128GB I would buy it. I do a lot of prototyping work that requires loads of VM's and memory is the main limiting factor for me. I have 64GB in my Mac Pro and that's just about enough for now - I'll, upgrade to 128GB next year because my work will dictate it.

----------

I hit the 16GB limit every day when building prototypes in VMware, and no I haven't given the VM's too much RAM, if anything they don't have enough - ESXi hosts with 2GB, NAS VM's with 512MB. I just need a lot of VM's. Yes I would like to be able to do this on a desktop (and I do with my nMP), but I'm not always at home I need to work at customer sites too, and my work starts before any kit is actually ordered so there's not point asking for 'test servers' as they don't exist at that point.

+1. I find myself running out of RAM on my 64GB nMP sometimes when running so many VMs.

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
I can think of plenty of situations where having more than 16GB of Ram in my Macbook pro would be beneficial whilst editing video and working in After Effects.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
How could any single person actually _know_ what "most people use"? Leave alone _know_ it for even a statistically relevant number of people?

Because statistically many are probably just using them in Starbucks as a web browser when they're hanging with the cool kids. :cool::cool:

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
I can think of plenty of situations where having more than 16GB of Ram in my Macbook pro would be beneficial whilst editing video and working in After Effects.

Which is why power users go Mac Pro. I can make my 2011 MBP with 16Gb ram crawl doing RAW work and layers in photoshop whereas I have to go totally silly to make my Mac Pro 3,1 with 32gb slow down.

The maximum size the Ivy Bridge intel chipset will currently support in a module is 8gb. Even intel don't have a habit for releasing retrospective firmware updates for desktop memory systems. There are similar issues with 4Gb DDR-2 800 desktop sticks not working in Intel boards yet work fine in AMD systems in the past.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
How could any single person actually _know_ what "most people use"? Leave alone _know_ it for even a statistically relevant number of people?
Because most people don't have a job or a hobby that requires any apps that need more than 2gb ram.

----------

Because statistically many are probably just using them in Starbucks as a web browser when they're hanging with the cool kids. :cool::cool:
Statistically most people simply do not have a job or passtime that requires it.

Only a tiny niche market uses more than 4gb ram. The number of people actually utilizing more than 16gb is ridicoulosly small. Unless you are telling me that 50% of the population are graphics designers and video editors.

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
People seem to forget that even the Mac offers a proper multitasking system for years now. While a single app may not need more than 2 or 4 GB Ram, a couple of apps and browser tabs together can easily exceed that amount.

This is especially true for the claimed non-professional and mainstream target group, whose majority probably appreciates the comfort (or call it laziness, if you want) not to close every app and every browser tab immediately after using it.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
People seem to forget that even the Mac offers a proper multitasking system for years now. While a single app may not need more than 2 or 4 GB Ram, a couple of apps and browser tabs together can easily exceed that amount.
Please post proof for that claim!

Here is an impressive multitasking example of a 4gb ram 2011 macbook air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6oaUJPZKNc

You can see: no lag and low memory pressure. We have a 4/256 mba at home and I concure.
This has been discussed on here before and people claiming 4gb is not enough for multitasking have always failed to provide any documented proof.

repentix

macrumors regular
May 26, 2013
The never ending discussion if 4 GB isn't enough. I know that if you have a 4GB Ram Mac/PC running it will of course not use all of the Ram because of safety limitations in the software. I tested this out on my desktop which I upgraded to 8GB of Ram from 2GB's, before it never used all of the Ram after the upgrade it used well over 4GB of Ram running the same programms!

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
For those of you 2 people who really need (or think that they need) 32Gb RAM, you will get it next year or the year after that, once DDR4 becomes available. I am fairly sure that 16GB will be more then enough for me for years and years to come.

For everything else I have a 4TB RAM machine in my basement :p

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
For those of you 2 people who really need (or think that they need) 32Gb RAM, you will get it next year or the year after that, once DDR4 becomes available. I am fairly sure that 16GB will be more then enough for me for years and years to come.

For everything else I have a 4TB RAM machine in my basement :p

I think if you go over to the Mac Pro sub forum you'll find quite a few more than two that have 3 times my 32gb lol. You'll also find tutor who's Hack rigs in the maximising cpu performance thread are great eye candy :D

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
seems so, I read somewhere that that CPU generation is capable of supporting 32GB RAM

It can support 32GB RAM, but not 16GB modules, so you can't fit more then 16GB anyway. And btw, 16GB DDR3 sticks still do not seem to have entered the market and most likely never will.

poematik13

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2014
16GB ram sticks have been developed but probably will never be sold commercially. They'd much rather just have you upgrade to a DDR4 machine

Nanokarbon

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2014
Well, everyone seems to be willing to offer their jack-hat opinion, but no one seems to actually be able to answer your question.

I wrote an exhaustive post, but since this is my first time I've been so outraged at stupidity that I actually joined MacRumors to answer a question I had about my own Macbook, and I didn't realized it would time me out.

So here's the skinny. There is certainly a demand for 32 GB of DDR3 1600 RAM, at least in 4 memory module kits. Probably for that 4K video footage that no one would edit on a Mac, nor the 3D-HD footage that no one would edit on a Mac. So absurd.

The only limitation is the i7-3520M processor. It can address up to 32GB of RAM. So, hypothetically, you could install two 16 GB DDR3 1600 Ram Modules, and it should run fine (http://ark.intel.com/products/64893). The chipset is the HM77 Mobile Express chipset. Here's it's exhaustive data sheet, just incase Intel would decide to develop a mobile processor able to address 32GB and not do the same for the chipset (http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/7-series-chipset-pch-datasheet.html).

There are no limitations in Yosemite OS X. Mac Pros are selling with 64GB of RAM for a pretty penny. There might be a limitation in the EFI BIOS, but why would Apple go to the trouble? The 16GB are already twice the spec limits of 8GB Apple says this MacBook can handle, and we have proof that it works. Apple already "suggests" you to upgrade to a new MacBook above 8GB by manufacture specs. Even Crucial tells me (I have the same MacBook Pro) that my limitation is 8GB, despite evidence that 16GB has been tried and works. Apple would set the EFI BIOS limit at 8GB.

The 4 module kits are selling for around $250 or a little higher. Designed for the Mac mini and iMacs(?) with 4 SO-DIMM slots. So that should give you an idea of the competition in the market and how manufactures would price the hypothetical 16GB memory modules.

Hope that's more helpful that "WHY WOULD YOU NEED THAT MUCH. YOU'RE PRETTY LITTLE HEAD ONLY NEEDS TO BROWSE THE INTERNET. DURRR.":eek:

spoonie1972

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2012
ok, so there's a bunch of 2-chip-combo 32 gb sodimms available now - reasonably priced, all things considered.

DDR3, and the right speed for my 'ol 2012 box.

anyone know if they work?

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
ok, so there's a bunch of 2-chip-combo 32 gb sodimms available now - reasonably priced, all things considered.

We all need you to buy it and try it out and tell us the result. :p

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013

Probably not I don't think the motherboard chipset will do it.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Somebody some time ago posted the detailed specifications and data sheets for the Intel CPUs in these machines. I can't be bothered to dig it up right now, but do a search. It clearly stated the maximum per memory module was 8 GB.

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
There are no Mac laptops that support that much memory. Skylake processors are the first mobile CPUs to support more than 16GB. The Skylake 13" models might, but they have soldered RAM. The easy answer is that if you can upgrade the memory on your Macbook yourself, the processor doesn't support more than 16GB no matter what size you put in it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.