Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Those are the majority of people in the world. Tech savvy people are in the minority.

She might know the difference between 20 and 25mpg, in the same way she might know the difference between 8 and 10 hours of battery life.

Would she understand how an A8X is better than an A8 which is better than an A7. Moreover, would she understand why it is $200 better.

Both your points are valid. Most people are not tech savvy. But I think I am trying to draw the line much lower than tech savviness - maybe at common sense? I don't think you need tech savvy to tell that A8 maybe better than A5. Otherwise Apple could have branded their CPU's with random numbers. Intel does it with Core i3, i5 and i7, BMW does it with their incremental series numbering and so do many other industries.

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
Just sold my Mini 1 hoping to be wowed by the Mini 3.

Instead, it's now coming down between the Air 2 or Mini 2 Refurbished (as cheapest option)

Currently using my iPad 3 as my main tablet, and it's so heavy, bulky, gross, etc.

Get yourself a Mini 2, I think.

Air 2 is nice (it's tempted me a few times), but unless you really want that larger size akin to the iPad 3 then I'd stick to the Mini.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Get yourself a Mini 2, I think.

Air 2 is nice (it's tempted me a few times), but unless you really want that larger size akin to the iPad 3 then I'd stick to the Mini.

Brought a Mini 2 home this afternoon, traded in my Mini 1. It's absolutely worth doing; retina screen is gorgeous and the speed on this thing really shows compared to the original Mini. I thought about the Air or Air 2, but in the end, I didn't want the bigger form factor.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Just sold my Mini 1 hoping to be wowed by the Mini 3.

Instead, it's now coming down between the Air 2 or Mini 2 Refurbished (as cheapest option)

Currently using my iPad 3 as my main tablet, and it's so heavy, bulky, gross, etc.

Why not just get the 6+ and have one device for mobile usage?

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
$50 can feed a starving family of 4 for a year in Papue Guineau. Please, if $50 isn't much to you, go google Papue Guineau family charities.

Do you mean Papua New Guinea?

If you have problem feeding your family you shouldn't be considering buying an iPad.

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Not that many people, and as soon as they move through the old stock it'll disappear like the iPad 2 did when everybody was wondering why it was still around.

New Apple

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2012
Kristinestad
Plenty of people who want to save $50 and don't really bother about having the latest and greatest specs.

i think the iPad Mini (non retina / 1) is a waste of money
whoever wants to spend money on that kind of tablet, should start thinking about ipad mini with retina (2nd, retina 1, last year model)

and of course the 3rd (new one) is waste of money in the opposite way

----------

Why not just get the 6+ and have one device for mobile usage?

i never carry a bag with me in everyday things
a 4s fits nicely in every hole of my pants :D and jacket

for MY real needs, a 4s or 5 it's the most i need outside.

the day i'll be on a train-plane-bed i need a tablet (7-8 inches)

----------

If you have problem feeding your family you shouldn't be considering buying an iPad.

indeed

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I got the first gen Mini for $200. I used it for 30 days (BB Silver Rewards member), returned it for the retina Mini yesterday.

And I'll return that for a lower price within a month I bet.

i97ww4

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2010
i still have my ipad min 1, very light, and battery life is amazing. never produce much heat as mini 2 does.

i mainly use it for wifi hotspot in my car, can't find any better router than this one :D, and can still use it for surfing once a while. It is SLOW.

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
I'm very tech-savvy and I'd be privy to buy the first Mini again (I still have mine, actually) for a casual device. I really loved the weight of it and how it felt in hand. Not to mention the slick black back instead of "Space Gray". It's perfect for reading.

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
Got a mini 1 and it's the worst screen I've even seen. That or I've been spoiled. My ipad 3 is 50x better. It's just a tank/workhorse of an ipad.

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
Got a mini 1 and it's the worst screen I've even seen. That or I've been spoiled. My ipad 3 is 50x better. It's just a tank/workhorse of an ipad.

I bought the Mini 1 when it first came out. I used it for a year then sold it and bought the Mini Retina. I used it for a year and sold it 3 weeks ago to buy the fabulous new Mini 3. Well, we all know how this story ends. I'm now without an iPad....there was no fabulous Mini 3. :eek:

Anyway, the main thing that stand out in my mind about the Mini 1 is that you simply could not read a web page in portrait mode unless you pinched to zoom in. This was not because the screen was too small. Instead, it's because the resolution was so bad (text was fuzzy). So, I always used it in Landscape mode for browsing. Now, when I got the Retina Mini, I could view web pages (un-zoomed) clearly and could comfortably use Safari it in portrait mode. Fantastic resolution on the Retina Mini.

Now, both original and Retina have the same inferior display with regards to gamut (ie only 63%)....so from my experience, having used both, colors were equally bad on both (ie, limited and lackluster).

Last edited:

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
It should not be sold. No one should buy the little ipad 2. The only ipads that should be sold now are mini3 at mini2 prices and air 2. Only reason they are still selling the mini 1 is to sell off the supply they have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.