Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psymac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Last mini owned was a 2009 Core2Duo that I eventually upgraded to 4GB ram and a 64GB SSD. So, I anticipate the 2014 2.3Ghz 8GB model I just ordered to be a vastly significant upgrade.

Later, I will most likely add either a SSD HD or PCIe flash drive. Maybe I won't get the five years of use I got out of the 2009 all things considered, but perhaps three years before wanting/needing to upgrade.

Given the amazing resell value, and the daily workhorse the mini proved to be, I'm always impressed with the incredible value Macs offer. Considering limited trouble shooting and downtime, nothing compares to the TCO of Mac.

I also understand that Mac was a closed system on purpose from the very beginning, upgradability has always been sort of schizophrenic for Apple, so my expectations are not high in this regard.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
The TCO of the new ones will be higher. You need to max out ram right away.
For example, the second model, which is not much better than the 2011 Radeon model, costs you 1100 bucks with SSD and 16GB.

I bought the 2011 for 550, added 16GB for 150, 200 for SSD and cable, which totals 900 and has more storage (I left the HD). If I like, I can easily swap the 2 drives for 2x1TB SSD when price has come down and enjoy 1GB/s R/W in RAID 0.

Advice: try to pick up the 2012 Quad 2.3 while you still can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.