Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mintakax

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2013
I have an 8core nMP with the D700s. I had never planned on doing 4k video, but that changed recently and I have been shooting a lot of 4k aerial videos. I now would like a 4K monitor to properly view them.
I currently have two NEC PA272W-BK 27s and was going to replace one with a 4K monitor, but I'm not sure which one to buy or if I should wait ?

The LG34UM95 ( or 94) seems like the most logical choice, but I have seen some users ( but not all ?) reporting boot issues with TB connections, also it doesn't have the UHD resolution I would need for native viewing (3840x2160)

What are 4K video shooters using these days ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated !!

mintakax

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2013
Ive done quite a bit more research and it seems that the Asus PQ321Q with the right cable and MST enabled will give me UHD at 60Hz.

If anyone reading this has this combo, will they please let me know if its going well ?
Thx

mikeboss

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2009
switzerland
I would advise against LCDisplays using an MST based connection. there are new displays coming to the market: EIZO EV3237 (already available) and the NEC MultiSync® PA322UHD coming in november plus NEC SpectraView® Reference 322 coming in december.

mintakax

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2013
I would advise against LCDisplays using an MST based connection. there are new displays coming to the market: EIZO EV3237 (already available) and the NEC MultiSync® PA322UHD coming in november plus NEC SpectraView® Reference 322 coming in december.

Thank you

the NEC is definitely out of my budget and the EIZO deosnt seem available anywhere that has bulletproof return policies, at least what I can see.
Why don't you recommend LCD using MST ?

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London
There is a version of that one, the LG 34UC87, that is the same curved panel but with a Dell-like adjustable stand and VESA mounts that was on demo at a trade show last month. There are users who complain about build quality and edge bleed on some units, however.

The HP Z27x dreamcolor is one that is popular with pro video users, 10 bit colour, takes a 4k signal either scaled or partial frame, but with a lot of features useful to video production.

Colour graders love that Eizo 277, I can't believe you can't find a good seller as they have a 5 year warranty and a one year pixel perfect warranty and really stand behind that thing.

And that new NEC 4k 32 inch screen is tempting.

mintakax

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2013
There is a version of that one, the LG 34UC87, that is the same curved panel but with a Dell-like adjustable stand and VESA mounts that was on demo at a trade show last month. There are users who complain about build quality and edge bleed on some units, however.

The HP Z27x dreamcolor is one that is popular with pro video users, 10 bit colour, takes a 4k signal either scaled or partial frame, but with a lot of features useful to video production.

Colour graders love that Eizo 277, I can't believe you can't find a good seller as they have a 5 year warranty and a one year pixel perfect warranty and really stand behind that thing.

And that new NEC 4k 32 inch screen is tempting.

Looks like I can get the ev3237 at B&H , but it's not listed among their 4k monitors nor is it listed as macpro compatible. I'd buy it , but I would first like to hear from another nMP user that has one.
I agree the NEC 4K looks awesome. I have always had NEC monitors and really like Spectaview.

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
I do photography, not video, but I'm waiting on this display...
http://www.lg.com/au/it-monitors/lg-31MU97

It should be out soon at around $2000 USD and is SST.

If Apple offered a 4K TB display, this would likely be the panel they would use.

Totally agree. Holding out for that one too. Converting the Australian price to UK comes out at around £1,300 but wonder if that'll be plus VAT in which case it'll be pretty expensive when it comes out.

However, SST and IPS so ticks all the boxes and with so many manufacturers upping their game the prices can only continue to fall. Hopefully Apple's introduction of the 5K iMac will only help us nMP owners get an affordable 4K panel for our machines sometime soon.

mintakax

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2013
Totally agree. Holding out for that one too. Converting the Australian price to UK comes out at around £1,300 but wonder if that'll be plus VAT in which case it'll be pretty expensive when it comes out.

However, SST and IPS so ticks all the boxes and with so many manufacturers upping their game the prices can only continue to fall. Hopefully Apple's introduction of the 5K iMac will only help us nMP owners get an affordable 4K panel for our machines sometime soon.

Is anyone at all worried about LG's quality based on problems with LG34UM95 ? I guess I'll wait and see.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Is anyone at all worried about LG's quality based on problems with LG34UM95 ? I guess I'll wait and see.

LG is hardly without their problems, that's for sure... However, this 4K Cinema product also appears to be targeted towards creative/imaging professionals which may raise the bar somewhat on quality.

At any rate, I would only ever buy an expensive display (from any vendor) via a retailer with a decent return policy.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Anything that says "price upon request" is too much for me !
Hehe-- I'm just a hobbiest, not a pro (at least for now). I do like to be as precise as I can within an already too extravagant budget :)

Then I would stick with your NECs... or pick up an eizo with a calibrator.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
Anything that says "price upon request" is too much for me !
Hehe-- I'm just a hobbiest, not a pro (at least for now). I do like to be as precise as I can within an already too extravagant budget :)

It's around $18,000.

The funny thing is, that panel is quite possibly made by someone other than Sony, so it's probably available somewhere else for a lot less. It may even be from LG (the one I linked above).

Likely made by Sony or Japan Display as it's for a Sony professional display and was in production 2 years ago. You'd be insane to buy one of these though, it's for industry use and is priced accordingly. It was even price competitive when it came out at $32,000 until Sharp changed the game a short while after.

As you said, with this tech I would suggest only going through channels with good warranty/policies. Which is why an Apple 4/5K panel will be popular whatever the price - just maybe not popular enough to warrant Apple making one for a while. Dell are probably the best bet really due to their warranty and ease of return until you get a perfect one. Though we aren't hearing about any major issues with 4K monitors and a lot of professionals are eating these up, gamers are putting the cheaper ones through their paces, and even that Seiki one that came out cheap still seems loved by those who jumped on board.

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London
If you want to properly view your content and how it will look you need a production monitor...
https://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-monitors/cat-videoproduction/product-PVMX300/

This is the most "affordable" production monitor, and these guys are awesome. Not 4K, but you can have a cheap ass asian "4k" display running as a GUI while this thing would give you the ability to properly see your content and deal with colour properly. Its probably a couple of grand, which is a bargain given the quality

http://www.flandersscientific.com/index/cm171.php

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.