Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaronlclark

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2014
Read this thread again ,Everything is here.

Regards

okay so the latest is that I've been able to get ZH to run...but launching via terminal instead of having a 'Zero Hour_bin' and 'Zero Hour' launcher.

i'll keep cracking away at the code to see if I can resolve the issue I'm having.

Salty76

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2014
Installing C&C Generals Deluxe Edition

Hi There

I have never installed C&C before on my Mac.

After installation it says that PowerPC applications are no longer supported.

I have read all the other forums but nothing seems to match my specific problem.

Seeing as this is the first time C&C is installed on my Mac (running Mavericks 10.9.3) is there a way I can get this to run and work???

Thanks in advance.

aaronlclark

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2014
Hi Salty.

This message is appearing because the game was developed before the switchover to Intel chips.

Quite simply, all you have to do is search for a patch for C&C Generals and Zero Hour. It's a all-in-one updated and will update Generals to 1.04 and Zero Hour to 1.02.

Hope this helps,
Aaron

Salty76

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2014
Cheers Aaron

I have searched for patches but it is a bit overwhelming.

Is there one you can recommend that will work???

Cheers

----------

Cheers Aaron

Cheers

AaoIi

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2014
Hello guys , I've found another way to get Zero Hour work . i used "Crossover app" and install the windows version . it works great over Mavericks ... this patch didn't work for me , regards .

aaronlclark

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2014
Cheers Aaron

Cheers

----------

http://commandandconquer.filefront....tYWMxLjAuNF9lbi5kbWd8fHwwMjA5MzQ3MzM1ODg2MTQ=

----------

Hello guys , I've found another way to get Zero Hour work . i used "Crossover app" and install the windows version . it works great over Mavericks ... this patch didn't work for me , regards .

Crossover should work, but there will be performance drawbacks due to it not being native.

johnathonjohn

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2014
Anyone know if the game still works after updating to OS X Yosemite? (Even if it's just the beta that is out right now)

levanid

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2013
I want to personally say thank you very much shafez

I confirm, everything works great with your help on Mac OS 10.9.4

Last edited:

collegitdept

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2009
Hi,

My Mac Mini cannot load or start Zero Hour:

It's an Core i5 with Mac OS X 10.9.4 installed.

I've always had the Intel patch installed and Zero Hour is version 1.0.2

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-13 at 1.06.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-13 at 1.06.01 AM.png
    238.3 KB · Views: 473

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
I have such fond memories of this game. I played the Windows version back in high school. Even better were all of the incredible mods available for it. Loved it!

mammal

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2002
Norway, Oslo
THANKS TO TPG!

OK HERE IS THE SOLUTION, i wrote it down for beginners:

1) Copy the file "OpenTransport", that you can find it in the folder "/System/Library/PrivateFrameWork/OpenTransport.framework/Versions/A/", of a previous OS X version (e.g. Lion, Mountain Lion) into "Zero Hour.app/contents/MacOs/".

2) Rename the file "Zero Hour" that you find in "Zero Hour.app/contents/MacOs/" in "Zero Hour_bin"

3) Open TexEdit, create a new txt-File, copy this Code in it and save it as "Zero Hour" (no file extension)

#!/usr/bin/env python

def main():
import os
path = os.path.dirname(os.path.realpath(__file__))
command='DYLD_FORCE_FLAT_NAMESPACE=1 DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES="{0}/OpenTransport" "{0}/Zero Hour_bin"'.format(path)
import subprocess
subprocess.call(command, shell=True)

if __name__ == '__main__':
main()

4) Make the file "Zero Hour" you just saved an executable by going to terminal and typing "chmod +x Zero\ Hour)"

5) Copy the executable file "Zero Hour" into "Zero Hour.app/contents/MacOs/"

6) Now just double-click on the file "Zero Hour.app" an the game starts.

Thanks again to TPG!

Just correcting for some spelling errors:
Adding a "s" to framework
1) /System/Library/PrivateFrameWorks/OpenTransport.framework/Versions/A/

and taking away a ")" from the chmod command.

4) Make the file "Zero Hour" you just saved an executable by going to terminal and typing "chmod +x Zero\ Hour"

Still, I get an error in the script, looking like this:

import os
^
IndentationError: expected an indented block
logout

imrodmartin

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2014
Still works on Yosemite

Just thought I'd update in case anyone is wondering.

If you got it working on Mavericks, it will still work on Yosemite.
:)

Guardian667

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2014
How to make executable

Maybe this issue sounds a bit stupid (none had troubles like me before):

I followed the instructions and created a new file using TextEdit with the title "Zero Hour". It is actually a RTF file. I placed it on my desktop. When I open terminal and paste the command "chmod +x Zero\ Hour" into it and hit return, it replies "no such file or directory".
I tried several ways to solve this issue (e.g. using the "cd Desktop" command or Renaming the file into a 1-word name), but the rest was always the same.

Do you have any hints for me how to get finally executable?

Thanks

Guardian667

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2014
Fixed one problem, another one occurred

OK, I found out that the issue I had was because of the wrong file format (rtf) and the file suffix. Since changed both it is no problem wo create the executable file.
But I still don't get it working. I renamed the origin Zero Hour file in the package (as suggested) and I copied the framework and the new created executable into the package. When I try to run the app by double clicking its icon, the error -10810 occurred. When I try to run the executable file directly (as suggested), terminal is opened and says the following:

.../Applications/Spiele/Command\ \&\ Conquer\ Generäle/Stunde\ Null/Stunde\ Null.app/Contents/MacOS/Zero\ Hour ; exit;
logout

I thought that it could be a result of my German version, so I renamed all English names (Zero Hour, Zero Hour_bin...) into the German names. I also changed this in the script. The result was similar: When double licking the icon nothing happened (no error report) and when running the script terminal told me the following:

.../Applications/Spiele/Command\ \&\ Conquer\ Generäle/Stunde\ Null/Stunde\ Null.app/Contents/MacOS/Stunde\ Null ; exit;
/Applications/Spiele/Command & Conquer Generäle/Stunde Null/Stunde Null.app/Contents/MacOS/Stunde Null: line 1: /Users/timopassler/Documents/Zero: No such file or directory
logout

Do you have any idea why could be the reason for that?

Thanks for your help!

Armin9

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2014
I (regretfully) upgraded to Yosemite

Hello,

I upgraded to Yosemite and now ZH nor GameRanger no longer work. All I want to do is play ZH!

I have been reading the threads you guys have posted and see that there are some solutions, however, I am not Mac savvy and do not know how to do change files around to get ZH working again. If someone can give me simple step by step details I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you!

imrodmartin

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2014
Broken again

With the latest Yosemite update, I'm getting the following:

dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _gliCreateContextWithShared
Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Resources/GLEngine.bundle/GLEngine
Expected in: flat namespace

dyld: Symbol not found: _gliCreateContextWithShared
Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Resources/GLEngine.bundle/GLEngine
Expected in: flat namespace

Trace/BPT trap: 5

I have replaced the OpenTransport file in the Zero Hour package (contents/MacOS/) and deleted all the .ini files in the user data.

anyone get it to work lately?

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
Our team is playing a LAN battle right now :)

I'm proud to say that this thread was a major motivator for us re-acquiring the rights to C&C and doing the work to bring it back to the Mac.

Looks pretty awesome on 5K as well :apple:

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Our team is playing a LAN battle right now :)

I'm proud to say that this thread was a major motivator for us re-acquiring the rights to C&C and doing the work to bring it back to the Mac.

Looks pretty awesome on 5K as well :apple:

Thank you Blair and everyone at Aspyr! I was so excited when I got an email about this today. Yay! If there is any chance we can get more C&C goodness that would be awesome, like C&C 3 and a real port of Red Alert 3. Heck, do C&C 2 and Red Alert 2 also!

I know, I am a wee bit demanding but i demand nicely! :D

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
Thank you Blair and everyone at Aspyr! I was so excited when I got an email about this today. Yay! If there is any chance we can get more C&C goodness that would be awesome, like C&C 3 and a real port of Red Alert 3. Heck, do C&C 2 and Red Alert 2 also!

I know, I am a wee bit demanding but i demand nicely! :D

You always do Dirty, and your support is most welcome. You guys are the best. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.