Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

fluffy

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2003
I dislike many of the changes they made to input, especially in the Japanese romaji mode. I liked using the Romaji mode because it makes it really easy to switch between English and Japanese (by providing useful shortcuts for that), but now in Romaji, the \ key becomes ¥ for some weird reason, and they also screwed up the way that accents work (for example, alt-e e to get é doesn't work in that layout, even though Japanese text borrows plenty of words from languages where accents are a thing).

Also I didn't like having the US flag in the corner of my screen all the time but that's a minor gripe. :)

I think the main thing that bugs me is that there's no longer a way to pin the dock to the corner of the screen. You used to be able to do that with a hidden preference (which was exposed by TinkerTool and documented on many sites) but now that preference is ignored, and you can only keep the dock centered on the screen, which is irritating because it means that things keep on moving around and stuff. Oh well.

On the whole, and ignoring the occasional massive performance problems I have on my Mac mini (which seem to come and go and I can't figure out why), Yosemite's a pretty good upgrade. I just wish I could figure out why my mini is performing like crap now, although I suppose it won't matter when my new Mac Pro arrives in a few days...

blablabla23

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2014
I'm not sure when exactly this was introduced, but I just noticed you can now close tabs on your iOS device from Yosemite and vice versa:

this has been pointed out before. It is a new feature but only works if your device is on iOS 8 / Yosemite, i.e. iOS 7 and pre-Yosemite tabs still show but cannot be closed remotely.

zoff

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2010
....and they also screwed up the way that accents
work (for example, alt-e e to get é doesn't work in that layout...

Hold down the key you want to accent and an iOS like pop-up will give you accent choices.

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
Continuity suddenly started working as of today. Didn't Apple claim we needed iOS 8.1 for that? Well, my iPhone 5s is still on iOS 8.0.2. It was definitely an audio call. All Dutch numbers starting with (0)20 are Amsterdam (and surrounding area) landlines so it couldn't have been an iPhone with FaceTime.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-20 at 13.32.25.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-20 at 13.32.25.png
    138.1 KB · Views: 145

oMc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2010
Finland & France
Continuity suddenly started working as of today. Didn't Apple claim we needed iOS 8.1 for that? Well, my iPhone 5s is still on iOS 8.0.2. It was definitely an audio call. All Dutch numbers starting with (0)20 are Amsterdam (and surrounding area) landlines so it couldn't have been an iPhone with FaceTime.

iOS 8.1 is only required for SMS relay, phone calls are working since several weeks for most Yosemite beta users.

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
iOS 8.1 is only required for SMS relay, phone calls are working since several weeks for most Yosemite beta users.
I've been running OS X Yosemite since Public Beta 1 and this is the first time a phone call triggered something on my iMac. No settings / preferences were changed.

sticko

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2010
I found that yosemite sluggish when connected to external monitor..even using top of the line macbook pro with dedicated graphic card

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
I found that yosemite sluggish when connected to external monitor..even using top of the line macbook pro with dedicated graphic card

It is definitely slower on external monitors. The strange thing is that when I use it as a second display (not clamshell mode) the laptop screen is perfectly smooth while my other monitor has choppy animations, even on low resolutions like 1024x768!

Is it connected by HDMI, like mine is?

sticko

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2010
It is definitely slower on external monitors. The strange thing is that when I use it as a second display (not clamshell mode) the laptop screen is perfectly smooth while my other monitor has choppy animations, even on low resolutions like 1024x768!

Is it connected by HDMI, like mine is?

Mine using DVI

leventozler

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2009

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
Try creating an override for your monitor.

http://www.ireckon.net/2013/03/forc...ix-the-picture-quality-of-an-external-monitor

OS X detects most external monitors as TV.

Now that you mention it, the computer IS detecting it as a TV...I will try the override when I get home from school and report back afterwards.

EDIT: It worked...I don't have any more choppy animations, and the text looks a LOT better. Now I've gotta reboot to fix the stupid bug where I hover over things and they stick...that is on the FINAL RELEASE!

Last edited:

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
For Phone calls- Do your minutes get deducted if you answer or make calls from the laptop?

Ditto for SMS.
Of course. You're making a regular phone call in the end. Same goes for text messaging. Unless you have an unlimited plan like me.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
I just enabled screensavers for the first time and I must say the blurred out login screen with the screensaver moving in the background is amazing. :cool:

Erastopic

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2014
Norway
I don't know if Apple did this as an easter egg but all the pillars on the new Numbers icon represent the gradients from iTunes, iBooks, FaceTime and the App Store. Kinda neat.

PS. Sorry for those horrible arrows, kinda hesitated on Photoshop :eek:

Attachments

• Edit.png
    Edit.png
    135.8 KB · Views: 120

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Sorry for those horrible arrows, kinda hesitated on Photoshop :eek:

Just so you know, Preview.app in Yosemite has a wonderful new feature that uses AI to recognize hand-drawn arrows and automatically turn them into editable Bézier curves :)

Attachments

• preview.png
    preview.png
    30 KB · Views: 1,551

Erastopic

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2014
Norway
Just so you know, Preview.app in Yosemite has a wonderful new feature that uses AI to recognize hand-drawn arrows and automatically turn them into editable Bézier curves :)

Oh I know mister, I'm not on my Mac right now, I got this screenshot sent from my friend who told me. I.. Or the company I work for use Windows computers.

My Mac is idle down stairs. ;)

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
I never used a lock screen or screensaver prior to 10.10. I thought the login screen was just gray in mavericks and not a blurred version of whatever is behind it?

In mavericks, the lock screen just sort of darkened the screensaver or background and had a password window in the middle of the screen. The log in screen actually WAS gray and boring.

Attachments

• Notifications-on-Mavericks-OS-X.jpg
    Notifications-on-Mavericks-OS-X.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 241
  • a-mavericks-login-620x420.jpg
    a-mavericks-login-620x420.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 174

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
I never used a lock screen or screensaver prior to 10.10. I thought the login screen was just gray in mavericks and not a blurred version of whatever is behind it?
Flurry always sort of blurred out. At least it looked that way. :p

EDIT: You're absolutely right. It only darkens the background.

orioncrystalice

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2014
Does anyone who used the betas still experience the loading bar when booting up on 14A389? Are those who did a clean upgrade seeing it as well? Wondering if it's normal or another tiny "why is this still here".

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
not sure if its on here, but now that the maximize is gone, double tapping along any unoccupied space on the top bar of safari will maximize/ minimize it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.