Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
Once again, I install a new OS and get my iTunes library sorted out and it tells me my phone is synced with another computer, would you like to erase and sync :rolleyes:

When are Apple ever going to let people sync their phones legitimately outside of a specific iTunes installation that is no longer present?

Really, how many years has this been happening for this issue not to be raised?

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
I'm sure as soon as Hollywood decides to ditch DRM, they'll get right on that.

BTW, have upgraded every generation since the PowePC days and haven't had the issue you speak of. Not saying it's not possible, but perhaps there is some elusive explanation if you've seen this before.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
It's happened with a clean install of iTunes. I don't really see what the issue is here though? Why should I be limited to syncing with just one computer I own anyway? :mad:

sodapop1

Suspended
Sep 7, 2014
Once again, I install a new OS and get my iTunes library sorted out and it tells me my phone is synced with another computer, would you like to erase and sync :rolleyes:

When are Apple ever going to let people sync their phones legitimately outside of a specific iTunes installation that is no longer present?

Really, how many years has this been happening for this issue not to be raised?
Maybe you're just doing it wrong. I've never had that problem

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
It's happened with a clean install of iTunes. I don't really see what the issue is here though? Why should I be limited to syncing with just one computer I own anyway? :mad:

To keep people from syncing their movies off to other people's computers. It does sound like you are creating the problem. Maybe if you explain what you're trying to do, and how you are doing it, then people can help sort out that part.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I had that issue a few times throughout the years. I think it has everything to do with the library databases and less to do with iTunes itself. Why else would it want to sync back purchases when you plug it in to sync otherwise?

I'm sure they've thought about fixing this, but it would be something that would affect the user experience even more because they'd have to compare the two databases, and then sync. iTunes already has issues whether you're doing it manually or not, and because people now have libraries that are more than 1TB in size, it probably would make it worse.

DRM has very little to do with it.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
To keep people from syncing their movies off to other people's computers. It does sound like you are creating the problem. Maybe if you explain what you're trying to do, and how you are doing it, then people can help sort out that part.

All I did was attempt to sync my phone to a new instll of OS X and nothing more.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
Isn't it so, that when you correctly migrate your iTunes library to new computer, this problem does not arise?

That would help if I had an iTunes library to backup from, except I like to also archive my music outside of iTunes in case it corrupts itself.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
That would help if I had an iTunes library to backup from, except I like to also archive my music outside of iTunes in case it corrupts itself.
You are mixing up iTunes Library (which is just a database containing your info, media catalogue and references to actual media file locations) and the Media Folder.
If you'd migrate just a database without media, you still would get correct data on your iTunes account, purchases, synced devices and library catalogue. Just all links to actual media files would be broken and you wouldn't be able to play back anything from local media folder. You still could download everything from your iTunes Cloud, though.

Last edited:

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2006
San Jose, California
This post gave me a concern about doing a fresh install of iTunes...

I've been contemplating doing a clean install of the new Yosemite on my 2009 iMac that is currently on Mavericks and has never had a new clean install... I've got an iPad and iPhone syncing with this one iTunes library...

My concern is if I do this and just backed up the iTunes folder wherever my music, videos, and podcasts all live, do I need to back up anything else too so I can put iTunes back in place on the new clean Yosemite install? What's the best way to go about starting over fresh but getting the data and device sync info, etc back?

Any help would be appreciated... I didn't mean to hijack the thread here by any means, but I think this is sorta related since we're talking about clean iTunes and syncing an existing device to it...

Cheers! :)

DavoteK

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012
Why would you want to sync it to multiple computers? Kind of defeats the point a bit.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Why would you want to sync it to multiple computers? Kind of defeats the point a bit.

What, using a music library on multiple computers defeats the point, or copying music from one device to another is an unreasonable expectation?

'Library' connotes that's where all your music will be stored. Your sole program used to organise everything you listen to. I'd argue that if you can't sync it to multiple computers, it kind of defeats the point a bit.

For all the self-satisfied smug crap Apple give about everything being perfectly merged, futuristic and seamless, iTunes is a 5.25" floppy disk.

DavoteK

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012
'Library' connotes that's where all your music will be stored. Your sole program used to organise everything you listen to. I'd argue that if you can't sync it to multiple computers, it kind of defeats the point a bit

iTunes is the Library. I think you're missing the point of that, hence defeating the point in your previous ramblings.

Your library is the focal point for all your media. Devices like an iPhone, iPad etc are just extensions of that library.

So, what you need to establish is either a better way of storing your stuff instead of having a clusterf*** on multiple computers, or instead of trying to plug in to your friends computers for some free stuff, copy the actual files so you have them in your library. Or buy an Android handset, because they are awesome apparently.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
My concern is if I do this and just backed up the iTunes folder wherever my music, videos, and podcasts all live, do I need to back up anything else too so I can put iTunes back in place on the new clean Yosemite install?
As long as all of your music, videos, and podcasts really live in your iTunes folder, you can just backup that folder and put it back in place on your new clean Yosemite install and be good to go.

What's the best way to go about starting over fresh but getting the data and device sync info, etc back?
The info that identifies your iTunes library to your device (when you sync) is in a file in the iTunes folder, so as long as you move the whole iTunes folder back to your new install, your phone should never know that anything changed.

----------

For all the self-satisfied smug crap Apple give about everything being perfectly merged, futuristic and seamless, iTunes is a 5.25" floppy disk.
iTunes Match is Apple's futuristic and seamless answer to the "plug a cable in to sync your music" thing that everyone's been doing since the 90s.

Smellmet

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2012
Goole, UK
I've transferred my library between multiple PCs and macs. As long as your itunes advanced preferences are set to 'keep itunes media organised' you'll be fine.

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2006
San Jose, California
As long as all of your music, videos, and podcasts really live in your iTunes folder, you can just backup that folder and put it back in place on your new clean Yosemite install and be good to go.

The info that identifies your iTunes library to your device (when you sync) is in a file in the iTunes folder, so as long as you move the whole iTunes folder back to your new install, your phone should never know that anything changed.

I've transferred my library between multiple PCs and macs. As long as your itunes advanced preferences are set to 'keep itunes media organised' you'll be fine.

Thank you, both of you! Much appreciated. :cool:

Billywiz1307

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2009
Knutsford, UK
I have an iMac and a Macbook Pro. I have different libraries on both computers that are not synced at all with each other. eg I have PDF's and books on my macbook whilst I have mp4 video files and some other PDF's on my imac.

My iPad can only be synced with either the macbook or the iMac. If my iPad contains music and PDF's and photos that I want to keep, I cannot connect it to say the Macbook without it wanting to delete the existing content of the iPad. I don't want that, why does it have to be synced with any PC?

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
I have an iMac and a Macbook Pro. I have different libraries on both computers that are not synced at all with each other. eg I have PDF's and books on my macbook whilst I have mp4 video files and some other PDF's on my imac.
I do a Master/Slave type setup where one of my Macs has a big HD with the library for all these different content types, and everything ends up on that. I xfer subsets of that lib to all my other Macs as needed, but never sync mobile devices to anything but the master Mac.
It's a bit of work, but at least I know I can always get a copy of anything I want over to any device, mobile or otherwise. It also simplifies backup strategy. Obviously, I'm not a Cloud fan for this sort of stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.