Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
So if somehow devs are able to get the NFC in the iPhone's to work with Google wallet...then all cards are basically tap n pay...right now instead of waiting on companies to get on board with AP.

ivandr

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
So if somehow devs are able to get the NFC in the iPhone's to work with Google wallet...then all cards are basically tap n pay...right now instead of waiting on companies to get on board with AP.

Ok... apparently you don't understand how this whole thing works. Any location that accepts google wallet? Already accepts apple pay.

The technology for both is NFC based contact-less payment... so anywhere you can use google wallet? you can already also use apple pay. There's no waiting for anyone to get onboard... (except for maybe you as I'm guessing you don't have an iPhone 6/6+ as you don't seem to understand it).

:rolleyes:

chopples

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2010
Ok... apparently you don't understand how this whole thing works. Any location that accepts google wallet? Already accepts apple pay.

The technology for both is NFC based contact-less payment... so anywhere you can use google wallet? you can already also use apple pay. There's no waiting for anyone to get onboard... (except for maybe you as I'm guessing you don't have an iPhone 6/6+ as you don't seem to understand it).

:rolleyes:

Sorry mate I don't think you understand how it is working at the moment

Last time I checked there where no banking institutions outside the usa which have cards that currently work with Apple pay.

To even activate Apple pay we need to change the region USA, and only USA cards can be used

It is obvious What the OP meant by "waiting for companies to get on board" he means the banks

Access to NFC via Google wallet would solve this short term for us non Americans but is unlikely to happen (jail broken or not)

Cheers

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010

Last time I checked there where no banking institutions outside the usa which have cards that currently work with Apple pay.

To even activate Apple pay we need to change the region USA, and only USA cards can be used

It is obvious What the OP meant by "waiting for companies to get on board" he means the banks

Access to NFC via Google wallet would solve this short term for us non Americans but is unlikely to happen (jail broken or not)

Cheers
Europeans already complain when the NSA gets all their information. Now they want to give Google who is a known grifter of people's personal information and who is known to feed the information to the US government all their purchasing info.

Last edited:

ivandr

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
Cheers

Yup. US only... but that is simply a factor of where Apple has chosen to release ApplePay. I can take my iPhone and go pay via ApplePay ANYWHERE in the US (OR ABROAD!!) that accepts NFC payment. I can pay in ANY location that accepts google wallet because the technology is exactly the same.

The OP didn't say anything about not having a US based card. Their OP implied that ApplePay was not accepted in the same locations that accept google wallet and that premise is patently false.

chopples

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2010
Yup. US only... but that is simply a factor of where Apple has chosen to release ApplePay. I can take my iPhone and go pay via ApplePay ANYWHERE in the US (OR ABROAD!!) that accepts NFC payment. I can pay in ANY location that accepts google wallet because the technology is exactly the same.

The OP didn't say anything about not having a US based card. Their OP implied that ApplePay was not accepted in the same locations that accept google wallet and that premise is patently false.

That's fair enough mate, I suppose I just read it from the perspective of someone from a country without access to Apple pay and you vice versa

I know your right of course, the point of sale isn't the problem. But when u get to the nitty gritty my mate can go to maccies or wherever with his samsung and pay that way, whilst me, with my 6+ Cannot, essentially I think that what the op was trying to say

Personally I am happy using my card when out and about,I don't partically fancy waving my phone around like a tit when I am getting a Starbucks or whatever. I am just looking forward to its implementation for online shopping. Often I setup a purchase and go running around my house looking for my wallet! :)

Cheers

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008

Cheers

Yes, I mean the banks. For instance, I have several cards attached to my wallet account...only one works with apple pay. If somehow a hack is made that allows me to tap n pay with the cards I have in wallet using my iPhone would be great.

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY

Cheers

What does "Outside the US" mean? :rolleyes:

dan.synergy

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2014
Balmore
Actually, it is certain banks and their processing partners that don't currently support Apple Pay Tokenization; not that Apple Pay doesn't support your bank. Therefore the solution cannot be a jailbreak, which does nothing to that process.

I definitely recommend the OP reads this:
http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...-vs-google-wallet-why-apple-inc-will-win.aspx

If that is TL: DR, here are the most important take-away's related to the OP:

"Privacy was also detailed at length during Apple Pay's introduction, as Apple will not collect any data about Apple Pay transactions."

"Google's inevitable goal with Google Wallet was to collect data on purchase behavior, in order to increase the relevance of targeted product ads. "

"(Apple Pay) Tokenization masks the underlying credit card number and instead uses a randomly generated number. These tokens can be used once, or transaction-specific, which makes them powerful security tools against hackers and criminals"

"Google Wallet does support tokenization, but Google uses a cloud-based tokenization process. That reintroduces other security risks since payment data is being stored on Google's servers as opposed to locally on the device-level.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.