Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PBS11

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
Great no printer now

downloaded Yosemite now my Kodak printer won't work! Great Apple - NOT

AlexJaye

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
Texas
Why would you need to use a script? You know this setting

has existed for over a decade right? It also exist in Yosemite, it's just turned off by default and there's a new sfx if you turn it on. Furthermore you have ALWAYS been able to shift-click the volume buttons to temporarily mute the effect.

Oh. Lol. That would've been helpful to know. Either way, I ended those sounds ASAP.

quaffa

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2011
Manchester, UK
Impressions so far:

it's now the ugliest UI I have the displeasure of having to use; previously this dubious distinction was OpenSuSE's KDE, but now that is markedly prettier than OSX; Ubuntu, Windows etc are miles ahead, although Microsoft also worked hard at uglifying their own, since version 8.

I'm really glad I didn't pay money for this.

Overall: not recommended, particularly if you liked the remnants of the aqua interface, which now are fully gone.

I completely agree with symphara about sheer ugliness of Yosemite. If this had been the Mac OS when I was first thinking of buying my Mac in late 2010... well, I wouldn't have a Mac now.

My installation, on a late-2010 MacBook Pro went without a hitch, and I noticed no bugs in it at all. It was just the look of the thing that irked me; it looks like it was designed by someone still at primary school. I have a big 24" Apple Cinema Display, and yet I still found some of the system fonts on it very hard to read. Ugh!

I'm not fully sure what extra functionality Yosemite has over Mavericks, (I don't think I noticed even one that was any use), but why don't Apple at least give one the opportunity, when they release new OSs, for users to have them look the same as what they know and love? That way, we'd have the new features they include AND have the look we like. (Even 'they who shall not be named' from Redmond used to allow one to have 'classic' view to their new OSs.)

I had Yosemite installed for just two and a half days before I found myself unable to face it any longer, so I did a complete restore (Command +R restart procedure) using Time Machine to take my Mac back to how it looked before I installed this mess.

I now have a beautiful elegant operating system on my Mac again. Phew!

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
Agree 100% , t's the worst OS i've ever used even uglier than windoze.

A massive step backwards and Ive and his team should be ashamed for producing something so awful.

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
I completely agree with symphara about sheer ugliness of Yosemite. If this had been the Mac OS when I was first thinking of buying my Mac in late 2010... well, I wouldn't have a Mac now.

My installation, on a late-2010 MacBook Pro went without a hitch, and I noticed no bugs in it at all. It was just the look of the thing that irked me; it looks like it was designed by someone still at primary school. I have a big 24" Apple Cinema Display, and yet I still found some of the system fonts on it very hard to read. Ugh!

I'm not fully sure what extra functionality Yosemite has over Mavericks, (I don't think I noticed even one that was any use), but why don't Apple at least give one the opportunity, when they release new OSs, for users to have them look the same as what they know and love? That way, we'd have the new features they include AND have the look we like. (Even 'they who shall not be named' from Redmond used to allow one to have 'classic' view to their new OSs.)

I had Yosemite installed for just two and a half days before I found myself unable to face it any longer, so I did a complete restore (Command +R restart procedure) using Time Machine to take my Mac back to how it looked before I installed this mess.

I now have a beautiful elegant operating system on my Mac again. Phew!

Couldn't agree more. You and I went about the exact same time with it before reverting back to the older look. Sadly they probably won't offer a 'classic' look. Fingers crossed though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Moto G

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2014
Agree 100% , t's the worst OS i've ever used even uglier than windoze.

A massive step backwards and Ive and his team should be ashamed for producing something so awful.

Isn't "windoze" what rebellious, adolescent Unix geeks refer to it as? Could we not just stop being so utterly daft?

kellyjdrummer

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2013
Ringgold, GA.
Please clarify the tone of your comment:

#1 "I have certainly considered it so"

OR

#2 "I have certainly considered it, so..."

#1. I agree with you.

I have no deficiency with understanding of, or the use of, punctuation.

I was going to ask you about "Could we not just stop being so utterly daft?"

It uses a double negative.

Moto G

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2014
#1. I agree with you.

I have no deficiency with understanding of, or the use of, punctuation.

I was going to ask you about "Could we not just stop being so utterly daft?"

It uses a double negative.

Ah! thank you for the dis-ambiguation :)

Nope, there's no double negative there; that's proper English, typed by a proper English man from Englandshire, England. "Could we not" means "couldn't we", which, in English, means the same thing as "Could we?" :)

Yes, the British are weird... I admit that, Kelly :)

PS: I like your YouTube channel :)

kellyjdrummer

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2013
Ringgold, GA.
Ah! thank you for the dis-ambiguation :)

Nope, there's no double negative there; that's proper English, typed by a proper English man from Englandshire, England. "Could we not" means "couldn't we", which, in English, means the same thing as "Could we?" :)

Yes, the British are weird... I admit that, Kelly :)

Not a problem.

I need to cancel my account here. Seriously.

Moto G

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2014
Not a problem.

I need to cancel my account here. Seriously.

Not on my account, I hope? Don't blame you either way... this place is too stupid in SO many ways... it's like a giant stupid magnet which attracts stupid, and aggregates it all into one giant heap of fail and stupidity.

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
Not on my account, I hope? Don't blame you either way... this place is too stupid in SO many ways... it's like a giant stupid magnet which attracts stupid, and aggregates it all into one giant heap of fail and stupidity.

whateverrrrrrr... :rolleyes:

i'm not here to argue with a pedantic troll , i'm here to complain about an awful os update

2 posters seem to agree with my sentiments despite my spelling , anyway back on topic

the worst bit is safari and the back forward buttons
, i use a tv as a monitor and they are just perma-greyed out , impossible to tell which way is left or right

has this os been tested on anything 'normal' apart from some 5k screens outside mr ive's lab ?

it really worries me the way apple are going now

Last edited:

Moto G

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2014
whateverrrrrrr... :rolleyes:

i'm not here to argue with a pedantic troll , i'm here to complain about an awful os update

2 posters seem to agree with my sentiments despite my spelling , anyway back on topic

the worst bit is safari and the back forward buttons
, i use a tv as a monitor and they are just perma-greyed out , impossible to tell which way is left or right

has this os been tested on anything 'normal' apart from some 5k screens outside mr ive's lab ?

it really worries me the way apple are going now

Have a lovely day.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Tried Yosemite at an Apple store. I didn't care for it. I'll wait with Mavericks until they make it less hideous looking. And at least for the .2 or perhaps even the .3 version.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
Just installed the final version of Yosemite. Still the 802.1X tab is empty, and I get errors connecting to such networks. Now I got proof this OS ships unfinished.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.