Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cheezels

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2014
Hi all,

Just saying hello from a new member and also hoping someone can help me with a weird question :D

I have been trying to transfer some photos from my laptop to my desktop. To do this, I exported from the laptop iPhoto onto a seagate 1TB hdd.

When I import from iPhoto onto my desktop, the number of photos imported doesn't match the number of photos stored on the hdd.

(When I look at the hdd using finder, at the bottom of the window it lists how many items and how much GB available. The number of items doesn't match the import amount. I had reformatted the hdd before only exporting photos to it, so I know there is only photo files on there).

I haven't noticed this before, so is this 'normal' in some way.

Hope the question makes sense! :confused:

cheers

cheezels

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2014
Hi,

Basically, plug hdd in, open iPhoto, navigate to import from hdd (through iPhoto) and then select all. Click import.

For some reason the amount imported doesn't match the amount selected.

Is there some way to just merge both the libraries?

Hope you can help

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hi,

Basically, plug hdd in, open iPhoto, navigate to import from hdd (through iPhoto) and then select all. Click import.

For some reason the amount imported doesn't match the amount selected.

Is there some way to just merge both the libraries?

Hope you can help

I need a bit more info to understand what you did. So you had photos in iPhoto on the laptop and used the export menu in iPhoto to export those photos to an external drive? So you had raw photos in the external and not the iPhoto library file correct?

Then you imported those raw photos into iPhoto on the desktop yes?

If you manually look through iPhoto on the desktop, does it look like the photos are there?

If you look at this section of iPhoto it should show you the total number of photos now in the library. Does that number look correct?

lKXh7Hx.png

Where else is it you are looking that makes you think the numbers are off.

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just trying to understand exactly what you did to try and help. :)

cheezels

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2014
Hi

Many thanks for trying to help me out

The photos are directly exported from iPhoto on the laptop and then imported using iPhoto on the desktop

The number of photos shown in the 'last import' folder in iPhoto doesn't match the number of photos shown in the finder window when viewing the hdd (at the bottom of the finder window it says 1 of etc, as well as space used/remaining)

I'm trying to transfer about 4000 photos so it's a bit impractical to count them. Well, it is for me.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hi

Many thanks for trying to help me out

The photos are directly exported from iPhoto on the laptop and then imported using iPhoto on the desktop

The number of photos shown in the 'last import' folder in iPhoto doesn't match the number of photos shown in the finder window when viewing the hdd (at the bottom of the finder window it says 1 of etc, as well as space used/remaining)

I'm trying to transfer about 4000 photos so it's a bit impractical to count them. Well, it is for me.

What folder are you looking at when seeing this number? The folder the photos were imported from you mean?

You should be able to go to that folder and hit command-a to select all and see a total at the bottom of finder to get an accurate count.

cheezels

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2014
Hi

Yep, the folder the photos were imported from.

(At the bottom of the finder window there are a couple of bits of info. Space used/remaining and how many items there are)

I'm a bit confused as to why all the photos aren't imported even though I select all of them

Thanks for helping

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.