Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nhamp07

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2011
Capital One sent me a letter a week or so ago saying they are sending me new cards because I shopped at HD.

I cant set up apple pay on my primary card that we use always until my new ones come in bc I have already been assigned new account numbers, but the cards are not activated yet.

nhamp07

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2011

yes, I know. Stupid timing really.

Called them and they said it was mailed on the 13th. So any day now. Not that big of a deal.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
Capital One fail. Chase, walk into any branch and walk out with a new card in 5 mins. Win.

Chase has a little more than 5,000 branches in the USA. Only about half of those offer cards on the spot. On top of that (correct me if i'm wrong), it's only for Chase debit cards. Credit cards still have to be mailed.

Judging from this map, this is far from accessible for most people :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chase_(bank)#mediaviewer/File:JPMorgan_Chase_footprint_2010-03.png

infantrytrophy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
It would be good to look at the bigger picture.

I would like to see Apple's system thrive, because it is more secure than the current system (not a big hurdle), and because it will forever prevent the wireless carriers' ability to profit from or have any control over our transactions.

Apple's timing to introduce it's Apple Pay system is perfect. Our point-of-sale payment system is terribly insecure, as we have seen from the breaches of the Target, Home Depot and Kmart systems. There is no way that our ID and credit/debit card information can be maintained securely in these large, interconnected data systems.

The real advantages of the Apple Pay system are the security features, Apple's scale and marketing clout, and its reputation.

The security is accomplished by the creation of tokenized payment information packets that are transmitted through the system, instead of the customer's ID and credit/debit card info. You need 2 factors to authenticate the payment - something you have (the device) and either something you know (PIN #) or something that is specific to you (fingerprint).

Getting consumers and merchants to adopt this is important. Other systems have failed. Google, to its credit, tried to do this with it's Google Wallet system. This failed to gain widespread adoption for a number of reasons, among which are the lack of hardware standardization and Google's inability to counter the wireless carrier's egregious tactics. It has been widely reported that Verizon, using its near-monopoly status (and presumably the other carriers), effectively blocked the NFC portion of the Google Wallet system, for self-serving reasons - it wanted to promote its own competing system. Verizon was a partner with a few banks in the unfortunately-named ISIS system, later rebranded as "Softcard" after the name ISIS became toxic. It was doomed to failure, requiring a costly and bulky hardware add-on to smartphones, and adding costs to the payment system. Why on earth would Verizon feel justified to milk fees for customers' purchases? Where is the value added? Plus, who would trust Verizon with his bank or credit card account information? I would not let Verizon, with its sordid anti-customer reputation, anywhere near my bank or credit card information.

Enter Apple. Apple is wisely partnering with established banks, and it has the market clout to thwart Verizon's (and the other carriers') tactics. Apple can simply tell the carriers that it will jolly well put an NFC-based payment system in its iPhones. Period. Verizon told Google, "No, you can't put NFC capability in your phones if you want them on our system." Verizon can't do that to Apple, and Apple has tight control over its hardware and software. Apple has done this type of thing before. An example is the lack of carrier bloatware on its phones -- Apple simply would not allow Verizon's (or ATT's, or Sprint's) bloatware. Another example - Apple's iMessage feature has almost completely eliminated the carriers' ability to make outrageous charges for SMS text messages. Just the thought of this makes me livid - why should the carriers have control over features that the hardware manufacturers place in the phones?

Go, Apple. I'm going to use the system and will encourage merchants to adopt it. My bank's credit card (USAA) will join this system on Nov 8th, and I'm happy to wait.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
OP..you might want to check with your Capital One. Over here we can walk in and get a new card the same day. They cut the cards and let you pick your pin. You walk out with a new card in 15 mins.

Gincoma

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
Capital One fail. Chase, walk into any branch and walk out with a new card in 5 mins. Win.

Its a temporary Visa card and when you get the permanent card in the mail the 3 digit code on back is different so therefore you can't even store the temp card permanently either...your point is invalid also....I work at Wells Fargo and offer the same temp cards as Chase or any other major bank

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
Its a temporary Visa card and when you get the permanent card in the mail the 3 digit code on back is different so therefore you can't even store the temp card permanently either...your point is invalid also.... I work at Wells Fargo and offer the same temp cards as Chase or any other major bank

Better educate yourself more about your industry then...

Depending on the branch you can walk into a Chase > ask for a personal banker > say you lost your card and need a new one > set up the new card and pin right there (I've done this twice before).

No "temporary visa / card in the mail" stuff like you are talking about.

Gincoma

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
Better educate yourself more about your industry then...

Depending on the branch you can walk into a Chase > ask for a personal banker > say you lost your card and need a new one > set up the new card and pin right there (I've done this twice before).

No "temporary visa / card in the mail" stuff like you are talking about.

Haha Chase doesnt imprint your name on the card in the branch, so therefore when you come in and say you lost your card they will issue you a permanent card on the system sometimes giving you a temp card to get you by until the perm card shows up. edumacate yo self

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
There is also the 100% safe solution, use cash.

Ok why would you use a bank that doesn't have any branches local?

infantrytrophy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013

Cash?? What's that? :)

I'm very happy using my bank (USAA) with no branches at all, much less local branches. Great customer service, no fees, no minimum balance, deposit checks using scanner or smartphone, great billpay service ... the list goes on. If I need that old relic of the past (cash), I can go to any ATM and the fee is rebated to my checking account. "Compromised" credit cards are replaced with a phone call and sent overnight or 2-day UPS. Can't say enough good things about USAA.

Seriously, the only reason I can think of to use a local bricks-and-mortar bank is to get a bank officer's signature guarantee to do something exotic such as sign a form to transfer assets in a qualified retirement plan to a Rollover IRA. Can't think of another reason that I need. Maybe buy a US Savings Bond? Seriously??

Local bank branches are so yesterday!.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Cash?? What's that? :)

I'm very happy using my bank (USAA) with no branches at all, much less local branches. Great customer service, no fees, no minimum balance, deposit checks using scanner or smartphone, great billpay service ... the list goes on. If I need that old relic of the past (cash), I can go to any ATM and the fee is rebated to my checking account. "Compromised" credit cards are replaced with a phone call and sent overnight or 2-day UPS. Can't say enough good things about USAA.

Seriously, the only reason I can think of to use a local bricks-and-mortar bank is to get a bank officer's signature guarantee to do something exotic such as sign a form to transfer assets in a qualified retirement plan to a Rollover IRA. Can't think of another reason that I need. Maybe buy a US Savings Bond? Seriously??

Local bank branches are so yesterday!.

I have USAA and having no ability to deposit cash is horrendous. And they want me to Western Union my deposits?? Or worse use another bank account to deposit into another bank account?

I'll only now use them for my credit card.

----------

For the absent minded cash is the worst idea. Especially with change. Now full $20s is fine but add $1s and $5s etc.

infantrytrophy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
I have USAA and having no ability to deposit cash is horrendous. And they want me to Western Union my deposits?? Or worse use another bank account to deposit into another bank account?

I'll only now use them for my credit card.

Good point; I forgot about those who need to deposit cash.

I would argue that using "another" (local) bank simply to deposit cash to transfer to USAA bank is a viable option. Why? Security, good service, simplicity.

Explanation: I'm retired, so it's important to keep track of spending. This is easy to do if you funnel ALL of your spending through one account - paying all bills and making payments through one account means that you can monitor spending 24/7 by simply looking at that one account. And that institution needs to be trustworthy (customer-friendly) because your bank account will be linked to investment accounts for transfer transactions.

Security is critical. We are in a period of turmoil in the security arena. I was an identity theft victim a while back; someone used my ID (name, SSN, birthdate, address -- apparently obtained from one of the now-famous data breaches) to open a brokerage account in NY and began trading foreign currency derivatives. Long story short, USAA helped me detect this and was helpful in resolving this and instructing me in preventing future problems (security freezes, etc.).

These days, you really need trusted, consumer-friendly institutions to handle your financial transactions, especially when transferring funds from one institution to another. My votes go to USAA (banking) and Vanguard (investments). I'm thinking that Apple's payment system will offer good security - certainly better than the current magnetic swipe credit/debit cards.

So that's why I say it is worthwhile to have another small-balance local account, if you need one, so that USAA can be your "main" transaction account.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Wellfargo will overnight new cards to you.

So does Fifth/Third for certain accounts (definitely not the online only/most basic account). My buddy lost his primary card and didn't care at all - got it sent overnight for the next day.

There's definitely some perks to brick and mortar banks over online. I use Chase for my checking and credit cards, but I only use online banks for my savings accounts, as they offer much better interest rates (which are still terrible, but it's something).

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Doesn't it take like 3 days to get new cards? You've lived you're whole life without Apple Pay. You can survive a few more days.

Stop your silly face with that logic! There is no place for reasonable responses here!

OP: If it wasn't HD, it could be any other major retailer. Hackers hack, it is what they do.

infantrytrophy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
OP: If it wasn't HD, it could be any other major retailer. Hackers hack, it is what they do.

Yes, good point. We need to change our payments system in a fundamental way to try to stay ahead of the hackers. It's pretty obvious that all of the systems are going to get hacked. Now we need to change the systems to neutralize the data being hacked.

It appears to me that Apple's system is pretty good, using "tokens" instead of actual customer ID and credit card numbers to transmit through the system. Plus there's the fingerprint ID feature to add security. These features are not unique to Apple, but Apple has the marketing clout and the trustworthy reputation to achieve a critical mass and eventually succeed in the marketplace.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.