Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Anyone have horrendous luck on iOS 8 on the first generation iPad mini? I can't even start a new post on MacRumors from the iPad without the thing completely locking up, and I have to close out of Safari and reopen it again.

What should I try from here? Thinking about doing a restore, but before I do, I want to know if anyone else is having the same troubles on iOS 8 and their first generation iPad minis.

I have the 16GB iPad mini on Sprint.

If only iOS 7 on iPad had continuity and SMS forwarding.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
Thread needs moved, but at any rate yes. iOS 8 is horrible on the original mini. I can start typing a web address and have it finished before it even starts showing up on screen. I'm can't wait for my Air 2.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
If you check the iPad forum, you'll see that 8.x on a Mini 1 is something of a mixed bag, with some users saying they didn't see a huge difference over 7.x, and others reporting things like yours. Since the Mini 1 basically has the same specs as an iPad 2 and those aren't doing too well on 8 either, it's probably not a great upgrade for those devices.

That said, since you can't go back down to 7.x, try a clean install (don't restore from backup, you can always do that later). Download only the bare minimum of apps, don't sync anything over immediately, and see if the device runs any better. If it does, you may have to pick & choose what to put back onto it.

If it doesn't, Mini 2's have dropped in price, and Mini 2 refurbs are a terrific deal right now. (That's what I opted to do; my Mini 1 was already having issues on 7.1.2, so no way was I taking it up to 8.)

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.