Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I'm really hoping this where the bottleneck is occurring. I mean considering how new the card is, I would expect better performance with driver maturity.

I'm getting excited by the results so far though - very promising.

I wish we had some Cinebench 15 CPU and GPU scores to look at :)

Hopefully someone will install Boot Camp Win7/Win8 and run some real benchmarks. I'm hoping for a miracle..

Tysusmed

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2012
Hopefully someone will install Boot Camp Win7/Win8 and run some real benchmarks. I'm hoping for a miracle..

Me too - would be great to see more Win7/8 results.

Hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised and be the proud owner a shiny new 5K display :)

Tysusmed

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2012

Actually Will, mine is supposed to arrive on Friday - I'd throw on Win 8 in BC. What games were looking at benchmarks for?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Actually Will, mine is supposed to arrive on Friday - I'd throw on Win 8 in BC. What games were looking at benchmarks for?

Oh I don't know. :) But thanks for the offer!

Be good to get some benches compared to the 2012/2013 iMacs, in 1440p.

Maybe... Battlefield 4, Bioshock Infinite, 3DMark - the usual suspects?

jji7skyline

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2011
I'd really be interested in some comparison benchmarks at 1440p on both the 780M and the M295X

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
Damn, i dunno how osx compares to windows in this particular test but if its somewhat the same scale, this blows...... my gtx 970 gets around 3000 with the extremeHD test :apple: guess im going hackintosh for now

benchmarks under windows are WAY different if you use Direct X

They are about 50% faster.

Georgio

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2008
Essex, UK
Well, I was the first to say that Apple had made a mistake by going the AMD route for the Rmac GPU, but based on the results so far in OSX and knowing that BootCamp/windows will perform better it looks like the R9x295 might be ok after all.
The performance in OSX is probably throttled in the same way the 780M was hamstrung in non retina Macs.

As these machines start to trickle out doubtless we will see some firm benchmarks in Windows which might be impressive, we will see.

Georgio

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2008
Essex, UK
Just out of curiousity I benchmarked my 27" 2012/i7/680M iMac in Win7 with the Valley test.

Resolution was the stock 1440 x 2550, on Ultra settings and the score came in at 1368 with an average 36fps.

Of course this is in Win7 and not OSX but all my gaming is in windows so it stands to reason that this is the important figure for me.

So what this tells me is that until we get some windows benchmarks with the RMac/R9 295 is that the 680M really is a great GPU that can still compete favourably two years on.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Just out of curiousity I benchmarked my 27" 2012/i7/680M iMac in Win7 with the Valley test.

Resolution was the stock 1440 x 2550, on Ultra settings and the score came in at 1368 with an average 36fps.

Of course this is in Win7 and not OSX but all my gaming is in windows so it stands to reason that this is the important figure for me.

So what this tells me is that until we get some windows benchmarks with the RMac/R9 295 is that the 680M really is a great GPU that can still compete favourably two years on.

If you want to draw any sort of comparisons, then you should stick with a predefine preset, instead of using custom presets. We don't know if you used AA or not, which makes a huge difference.

It's like saying, "My car can get to the local Tesco in 5 minutes. I see that the new BMW M4 can get around Nurburgring in just under 8 minutes. This shows me that my car is quite a good performer".

Georgio

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2008
Essex, UK
If you want to draw any sort of comparisons, then you should stick with a predefine preset, instead of using custom presets. We don't know if you used AA or not, which makes a huge difference.

It's like saying, "My car can get to the local Tesco in 5 minutes. I see that the new BMW M4 can get around Nurburgring in just under 8 minutes. This shows me that my car is quite a good performer".

I used exactly the same settings as Bumfluff did on his RMac; it would be a pointless exercise otherwise.

MacDevMike

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
Discovery Bay, Ca
Oh I don't know. :) But thanks for the offer!

Be good to get some benches compared to the 2012/2013 iMacs, in 1440p.

Maybe... Battlefield 4, Bioshock Infinite, 3DMark - the usual suspects?

I think that at 1440p you won't have any FPS issues with any of these. From a 3DMark standpoint, I would expect Firestrike to come in around 6000-6200. That is around where a D700 (x1) would come in.

If you do most of your gaming in Windows, a base 4 Core Mac Pro with a Dual 700 BTO might be a better choice if you are looking for a Mac with extreme Windows gaming abilities. With XFire, the dual 700's can pull about 11k in Firestrike and likely dominate 1440p gaming in Windows. The Retina iMac seems to me to be a great option for those that do more casual gaming. It will handle 1440p with no sweat, but the general computing on that screen will be amazing.

Georgio

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2008
Essex, UK
As per Steve above, running it in Windows makes it a pointless exercise for comparison purposes :)

Sigh....the whole point of the exercise was to point out that actually the 680M is still a pretty good performer in comparison with the 295 which is supposed to be taking it's mantle.

Now wether that is in OSX or Windows is immaterial; we all know that DirectX is superior to OpenGL for this type of benchmark, the question is how big a difference as I'd imagine quite a few people would be surprised that a stock two year old system outperforms a newly released system.

That is the issue and again it's boils down to the choice of GPU.

It's no wonder people don't bother posting anything tangible on the forums if people like you are just going to nick-pick instead of posting anything remotely useful yourself.

neilhouselander

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2011
Bristol, England
Eve Online

Just read the rest of this thread, benchmarks are useful, but of more use are people who are actually playing games and telling us how they play on the 5k.

I am about to order but play a lot of Eve Online...has anyone any experience running that on the new machine (with 295X).

rick987611

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2008
Just read the rest of this thread, benchmarks are useful, but of more use are people who are actually playing games and telling us how they play on the 5k.

I am about to order but play a lot of Eve Online...has anyone any experience running that on the new machine (with 295X).

5k benchmarks are really worthless. You need a custom PC with dual super high end cards like GTX980s before even thinking about 5k gaming 1440p benchmarks are probably the most useful for true gaming performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.