Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avital

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2014
Hi!

Today i got a new Iphone 5s. I was really happy with it, and i wanted some protection. Im not that afraid of dropping the phone, since im very careful, but i want it to be in perfect condition like out of the box for several months.

So, even if i dont like cases, i decided to get one. I didnt know what case to get, but i finally bought the Apple leather case from Apple store.

I got home and opened the package. Then omg...
The case is SO tight, im afraid it damaged my phone with scratches and scuffs when i put it on. Even if the inside of the case is covered in soft material, the frames are still pretty hard leather. You need to really push it down in place, and im afraid this has causes some serious scratches on the frame and corners of the phone. Especially the thin glossy line is likely to get some beating when pushing the side of the phone in the case.

It sure doesnt just snap in like nothing, there is a bit of resistant, and how bad will this harm the glossy nice edges on my phone, and even the frame?
I felt like that kind of strain isnt really good.

And when/if i decide to remove the case, it will be yet another abuse on the phone. I guess if i take the case off, i can see how much damage it actually made, but im too afraid facing it right now.

Have you guys had your apple leather case on and off just to tell me how bad the phone will suffer? I mean if you take a real good look at it?

Jazper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
If you're worried by a cheap $1 back screen protector on ebay/amazon but usually Apple's cases have been great because of the lining compared to hard plastic cases which do often scratch the back of people's phones.

If you're really unhappy just return it, they have a 14 days return policy.

avital

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2014
I know i can take it off (even if its hard) and return the case.

But i wonder if the tight fit along with the hard leather frames really will scratch the phone putting it in and out, or if its only my OCD making me feeling bad.

Thats why im asking if there is anyone here, who have had the leather case on their 5s on and off, and can tell how visible scratches, scuffs, wear, this may cause. I understand that the back of the phone will be OK, but the sides, corners, and the thin shiny part on the frame is another thing.

nwmtnbiker

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2011
Fidalgo Island
I didn't have any problems with my 5s and the leather apple case or any other case causing scratches. As for the iP5 that was a whole other story that coating flaked off like crazy:apple:

I prefer a tight case that fits very very snug. If you have a loose case that'll allow debris to get between the case and the phone...

xfusejc

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2006
The leather case was the best protection from scratches for me, from all the cases I owned (which were about a dozen). The tight fit all but guarantees that for the most part, no dart will get in there that will scratch things up, and I never really had a problem with the edges while using the case.

Lukewarmwinner

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
I do agree that the case is very tight. I wanted to give mine some conditioner but didn't wanted the hassle of taking it out of the case. So now I'm likely just gonna rub the conditioner in with the iPhone in it.. Wonder how it'll come off though

avital

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2014
So you mean that the pressure it makes when putting the case on (or off) rubbing against the sides and corners of the phone (and the fragible shiny line) wont cause any wear and tear on the phone then?

jdmar2004

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2010
I had an apple leather case on my 5 and my wife has had her 5s in the apple leather case for some time now. I dropped mine all the time and even though the leather took a real beating, the edges didn't show any kind of scuffs. Leather isn't hard enough to scuff the aluminum. If you take it out and it has any kind of marks then it's probably bc dirt or sand got in there.

Sheldonsmith

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
I have had an Apple leather case on my 6+, and although it starts tight, it does loosen up after a while. I put a little Coach leather moisturizer on the outside and now the leather is a little more supple and that case slides on/off pretty easily.

-Sheldon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.