Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jomo25

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
No. I reject that categorically. Apple has been working on this privately for a long time. They had all of the big banks lined up behind them. I can forgive them the foibles at individual points-of-sale, but the failures at Wells Fargo and Chase should be an embarrassment to everyone involved.

Apple has always made a big noise about stuff that "just works." Live by the sword, die by it.

Well, I have added successfully 4 credit cards, AmEx, Citi, BofA, CapOne. And I can say that I have used it for 4 transactions, the first being yesterday at 3PM.

Each has worked flawlessly. They just worked.

Only card I haven't been able to add that I want to is my debit card through a Credit Union. I contacted them and they say they are working on adding it, but probably won't be until early next year.

Sorry for your experience.

SeVeN

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
San Jose
Anyone know if target uses nfc? I asked an employee and she didn't even know what Apple pay was, even though she told me she has a six plus. Wth

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
You don't have to launch anything. Your phone can be on standby. As soon as it's placed near NFC Payment Terminal the phone will wake up. Now if you want to pay with your default payment card, just put your finger on the Touch ID as you holding up your phone close to the NFC. Otherwise holding up just your phone near NFC will wake your phone with the default card card shown, but since you don't have your finger on Touch ID, it won't authorize payment. Then you can select the card you want to use and put your finger on Touch ID to proceed. That's it.

I feel this is gonna be a point of confusion using these terminals... Users will constantly be asking, "how do i do this", since i'm sure people would hold their phone up and wonder why the traction is not going through.

Similarly,, u just hold your phone with Android for NFC,,,, the only difference is u also use TouchID as well..... Thus.... it's gonna be a rocky start.

It IS kind of funny that u must place your finger over the TochID as you moving it over the terminal... :D for those with NFC. (I guess there is no other way BUT to use TouchID in this case.)

aka... want if u want to use a pin instead but also use your phone ? Can u not do this ? unless u have an iPhone 5s >

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Please show me where it says that ApplePay or iOS 8.1 are a Beta.

I was being hyperbolic to make my point. Anyone who frequents tech gadget sites knows, or should know, that any 1.0 tech product or service is essentially a Beta. This is even more so for something all new like Apple Pay which relies on a network of businesses the lead company doesn't own or control. (The greater the # of cogs and wheels in the machine the higher the chance for something to go wrong). So, yes, Apple Pay is not a de jure Beta, but it is a de facto one.

My point to you is that, based on your comments in this thread, you seem to be a Type A personality and without the requisite low key temperament needed to cope with the holes, gliches, and SNAFUs that are bound to occur in a roll out such as Apple Pay. You are better off going about your errands, meals, entertainment, swiping your CCs as usual until the network is more fully built out and significant bugs squashed. That is all.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Anyone know if target uses nfc? I asked an employee and she didn't even know what Apple pay was, even though she told me she has a six plus. Wth

The point with Apple Pay is that it works if they have NFC terminals. The company and their employees don't even need to know what Apple Pay is, it will still work.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
You don't have to launch anything. Your phone can be on standby. As soon as it's placed near NFC Payment Terminal the phone will wake up. Now if you want to pay with your default payment card, just put your finger on the Touch ID as you holding up your phone close to the NFC. Otherwise holding up just your phone near NFC will wake your phone with the default card card shown, but since you don't have your finger on Touch ID, it won't authorize payment. Then you can select the card you want to use and put your finger on Touch ID to proceed. That's it.

That's a beautiful thing. Talk about making it as simple as possible. Gotta applaud Apple for that. Most companies would require you to wake up your phone, launch the payment app, then authorize.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
That's a beautiful thing. Talk about making it as simple as possible. Gotta applaud Apple for that. Most companies would require you to wake up your phone, launch the payment app, then authorize.

On the contrary, easy for everyone to use, since no user wants to "figure out how to use something" when Apple just tells us.

Can't get more easier than that..

Maybe too easy..

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
I was being hyperbolic to make my point. Anyone who frequents tech gadget sites knows, or should know, that any 1.0 tech product or service is essentially a Beta. This is even more so for something all new like Apple Pay which relies on a network of businesses the lead company doesn't own or control. (The greater the # of cogs and wheels in the machine the higher the chance for something to go wrong). So, yes, Apple Pay is not a de jure Beta, but it is a de facto one.

My point to you is that, based on your comments in this thread, you seem to be a Type A personality and without the requisite low key temperament needed to cope with the holes, gliches, and SNAFUs that are bound to occur in a roll out such as Apple Pay. You are better off going about your errands, meals, entertainment, swiping your CCs as usual until the network is more fully built out and significant bugs squashed. That is all.

Thanks for the Ad Hominem. And for not actually linking to whatever comments you're referencing so that anyone could actually see what the hell you're talking about.

I am quite willing to participate patiently in beta programs. My expectations when doing so are suitably reduced. But when a partner makes very loud, public noises about how proud they are to support this new product, but then it turns out that they don't fully support it (Chase), I don't think it's unreasonable to call them out for it.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Thanks for the Ad Hominem. And for not actually linking to whatever comments you're referencing so that anyone could actually see what the hell you're talking about.

I am quite willing to participate patiently in beta programs. My expectations when doing so are suitably reduced. But when a partner makes very loud, public noises about how proud they are to support this new product, but then it turns out that they don't fully support it (Chase), I don't think it's unreasonable to call them out for it.

Sorry. Not meant to be an Ad Hominem or judgmental. Type A and Type B personality are regarded psychological theory. Everyone is a "type," and one isn't better than the other. Each has good and bad sides. I myself am a hybrid (with a little of both the good and bad of each).

Again, your comments here reflect a demand on your part that Apple Pay be 100% right out of the gate. That's unreasonable. Nothing created by humans is 100% right out of the gate. If you expect perfection then, as said, it's best not to wade in "early adopter" areas and wait for it to mature and build out.

Last edited:

Redenkeew

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
NYC
I feel this is gonna be a point of confusion using these terminals... Users will constantly be asking, "how do i do this", since i'm sure people would hold their phone up and wonder why the traction is not going through.

Similarly,, u just hold your phone with Android for NFC,,,, the only difference is u also use TouchID as well..... Thus.... it's gonna be a rocky start.

It IS kind of funny that u must place your finger over the TochID as you moving it over the terminal... :D for those with NFC. (I guess there is no other way BUT to use TouchID in this case.)

aka... want if u want to use a pin instead but also use your phone ? Can u not do this ? unless u have an iPhone 5s >

It's natural to ask "How do I do this?" the first time you do everything, not with just Apple Pay. Heck I had that moment the first time I use a cotton candy machine :)

Touch ID is an essential step of Apple Pay's security. I doubt they would let you set up Apple Pay without configuring Touch ID. Anyone has tried this?

SeVeN

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
San Jose
The point with Apple Pay is that it works if they have NFC terminals. The company and their employees don't even need to know what Apple Pay is, it will still work.

So, it works at target? I didn't see the nfc symbol but it did say verafone*

Last edited:

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I'm just assuming at Chevron you have to go inside, right? Wish you could do it at pump.

The Chevron in my small Texas town disappoints inside too. I went inside and attempted to pay with my phone but here was no NFC terminal. The clerk had no clue, but clerks usually don't. I still tried my phone close to the swipe and pay device connected to the cash register but the phone didn't wake. I wonder if Chevron is behind the times deploying terminals or what the story is.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
HEB Tesas ?

I stopped in my local Heb yesterday and after initiating payment via swiping my card, I noticed the new type of terminal that Walgreens uses has recently been installed. I will try to use Apple Pay there next time I need a grocery item. Does anyone know if they have started accepting :apple: Pay recently?

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
So what's the difference between the normal contactless terminals and the retailers Apple are helping with Apple Pay?

Edit: sorry to bring a new thread back to life. I'm in the UK and with Barclays and they've only recently starting supporting it.

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
So what's the difference between the normal contactless terminals and the retailers Apple are helping with Apple Pay?

Edit: sorry to bring a new thread back to life. I'm in the UK and with Barclays and they've only recently starting supporting it.
In the UK a lot of them will not have the £30 contactless limit. Also I think store that have signed up to Apple pay have enabled it in all of their stores.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.