Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Love the phone but hate the new location of the power button.....
Agreed, if they moved it more to the middle of the side, or something then maybe I'd not hate it as much.

For me and my IP6+, I'm constantly hitting the volume buttons and the power button as I try to turn off the display.

I had a Nokia Lumia Icon and the power button is on the side, but the volume buttons on the same side so there's no risk of hitting it by accident. I like that implementation better then one apple did.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
The position of the power button is most annoying especially for those who use the volume button to take photos. I sometimes hit the power button by accident (on both the 6 and Plus) when I try to snap a shot. Ugh :confused:

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Finally got to try the 6 and 6+.

First reaction is that they're both fine. Not spectacular, not terrible. I preferred the 6 - the 6+ seemed just too big, though I certainly understand why others would like it.

I found myself wishing that the 6 were made more like the 5 - I like how the 5 feels in my hand more than the 6. So a 6 it will be when upgrade time rolls around. And I'll probably bite the bullet and get the 64 GB model.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
I am primarily an android user but I have to say that in my opinion,the IPhone 6 is currently the best looking phone out On the market. I keep taking it out of my case once a day just to admire the design and enjoy the feel in hand, such a gorgeous phone. I have the 6 Gold and I may be the only one who thinks the antenna bands look very nice and add some character to the iPhone, I can't imagine if it was just fully gold or fully silver, it'll be just boring. Here are my pros and cons of the iPhone 6:

Pros:

- Beautiful design, thin and light

- Fantastic display even for a sub 1080P

- nice clicky buttons

- Touch ID works better than ever

- battery life is a noticeable improvement over the 5S.

- IOS 8 is flat out more refined than android, it is seemless and a joy to use. Love it!

- I LOVE the new keyboard

- Speaker is very very nice, not HTC M8 standard but second in line. Very nice, loud and crisp.

- very ergonomic, all the buttons are exactly were they are supposed to be.

- The camera is OUTSTANDING!! All I do is point and shoot and the pics come out so nice.

- front facing camera is also nice despite the lower megapixel count.

- Excellent call quality

- Excellent performance

Cons:

- Phone is VERY slippery, you absolutely need a case.

- Although IOS is very refined and all it is still and probably will always be very locked down in comparison to android.

- Lack of notification light. This is kinda of a big deal to me. When I watch movies on my computer I put the headphones in and I miss a lot of notifications. An LED notification light would be awesome.

- Although the device is thin and battery life is decent i wish apple would have made it a little bit thicker and include a larger battery capacity for better battery life. Right now it's good, but just good enough, nothing spectacular.

- I wish we could charge the phone while it is off.

Overall the iPhone 6 is a win. I have been waiting for a bigger iPhone for years and now that it is finally here I'm very satisfied. I like switching back and forth between android, IOS and even windows phone, I just enjoy trying different things. Right now it's all about the iPhone until the next big thing (No pun intended).

I'm confused, I thought you could charge the phone while it was off.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK

You certainly can with my 5S - so would assume all iphones.

Yes, you can charge the iPhone 6 when it is switched off. Not sure why the person you have quoted thinks you can't! Imagine if that would have been the case, and the phone battery would have died and phone switched itself off. How would then be possible to charge it? :)

skanska

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
I can't seem to find a way to turn off the volume button to stop it stopping video recording I'm always hitting one of the volume buttons when recording and unfortunately I don't see I have done it is their a way to disable it.

stasha

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2014
Montréal
Too sexy My gold ip6+

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    684.3 KB · Views: 248

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleFanatic10 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMcCoy View Post
You certainly can with my 5S - so would assume all iphones.

Yes, you can charge the iPhone 6 when it is switched off. Not sure why the person you have quoted thinks you can't! Imagine if that would have been the case, and the phone battery would have died and phone switched itself off. How would then be possible to charge it? :)

Bad cable.

stasha

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2014
Montréal
I knew it was big, but not as big as a sports car! :eek::eek::eek:

Lol, its because the other day a troll said that iphone looks like an old crysler while other phone looks modern like a porsche, you see on my photo that the iphone is shiny like a porsche;)

btkadams

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2012
2 weeks in and still loving the iphone 6 plus, for those who are still waiting for theirs. i use it one-handed as much as i did on my 5. i used the 5 with two hands a lot too though, so maybe that made the transition to this easier.

and there is no sign of any bend either, with it being kept in my pocket a lot (even while sitting down). i'm thinking the bend thing may be a factory defect. i haven't babied the phone (already made a tiny chip from a drop on the antenna part lol).

Gmcube

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
Got my 6. Quick first impressions coming from a 4 on ios 5.1

Wow this thing is big. I couldn't imagine going with a plus, this is already pushing the limits of being too big for one handed use. I can do it, its just awkward. I mainly worry about hitting the home button and having it flip out of my hand just from the way it's balanced. I kinda wish it were heavier, but I'll adjust.

The camera is good in day light, but low light is disappointing. There's a lack of contrast in a lot of situations. Granted I'm spoiled by my DSLR, I was just hoping for something better. And I think with sofware updates they might be able to adress it to an extent. The focusing the best I've seen in a camera so far. The flash looks terrible in my tests, but no surprise there. The white balance looks like it will often need to be shifted to something more yellow, at least in mid to lower light.

This is my first time using siri. I can definitely see this speeding up common tasks. If only I could use it without sounding like an idiot around other people, haha.

Touch id works great, I've yet to have it fail on me.

I think a lot of apps could stand to keep reachability in mind more than they are. that pull down feature works okay, but its not ideal. They need to start trying to put buttons on the middle or bottom when possible.

Last edited:

kioko91

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2014
Love my 6. Had it since launch day. Size was never an issue for me coming from the larger variety of android phones. It was he jump back to iOS that scared me more as my last idevice was the iPhone 4.

I notice some people dislike the placement of the volume/power button. The Galaxy phones have the exact same layout, so any Samsung user will likely find comfort here. My last phone prior was an HTC M8 and it had the power button on top. Now the phone had a 5" screen and large bezels with front facing speakers that made the phone literally as tall as a note 3. I'm a 5' tall woman with small hands so the power button on the side is a sigh of relief for me.

However, strangely enough I've been considering swapping to a plus when availability exists. I miss the larger screen size of my old note sometimes and the battery and OIS are big draws for me. I just don't know if my tiny hands can handle it!

skanska

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
I can't seem to find a way to turn off the volume button to stop it stopping video recording I'm always hitting one of the volume buttons when recording and unfortunately I don't see I have done it is their a way to disable it.

No one know how to disable this feature.

TigerMSTR

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2014
Um, so I finally have put the thing down after pretty much being my constant companion since 9/26 and used my DSLR to take some shots before it starts looking worn or something:

iPhone 6+ Gold 128 GB:

The screen, the absurd battery life, the camera, I could go on but....

When I first saw the gold iP6 I absolutely hated it since it made the antenna bands more obvious. Now I'm thinking it's the best color of the bunch.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
When I first saw the gold iP6 I absolutely hated it since it made the antenna bands more obvious. Now I'm thinking it's the best color of the bunch.

Yeah, I kind of regret getting a black. It's just so.... black. It doesn't yell "look at me, I'm a giant gold phone!", it just sits there. It seems like they even made the TouchID button darker.

Oh well, nothing to be done about it now. I hope it will look sexy when my red case arrives :D

TigerMSTR

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2014
Yeah, I kind of regret getting a black. It's just so.... black. It doesn't yell "look at me, I'm a giant gold phone!", it just sits there. It seems like they even made the TouchID button darker.

Oh well, nothing to be done about it now. I hope it will look sexy when my red case arrives :D

I'm in the same situation. Oh well. If I get the 6s or 7 it will be gold for sure.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

I find the black bezel to be less distracting then the white one especially for videos and such.

darkarw

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2014
No one know how to disable this feature.

I know this isn't what you are asking, but maybe if you rotate the phone 180 degrees and put the volume buttons on top it may help you hit them less accidentially. As far as the feature I don't believe it can be turned off.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
I have the iPhone 6 SG 128GB model. I came from an iPhone 5. I am loving the iPhone so far. At first I was totally naked with the iPhone 6, however decided to get the red :apple: leather case. I have kept it without any screen protector though as I love the glass feeling of it as it is.

This iPhone is absolutely amazing, I got used to the big screen in 1 day. At first I thought I wouldn't get used to it. However I was wrong. The camera is amazing with the pics its taking, especially coming from my iPhone 5. Touch ID is a so easy to use and works every time.

Battery life has been really good, and surfing the internet on LTE has been great too. I do baby my iPhone a lot though, as its the first iPhone I ever bought with full price off contract. I do keep it in a dedicated pocket and this time I have Apple Care plus so its all good. Overall very happy with it.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.