Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
So, anyone that has been playing... any thoughts? I can't quite put my finger on it why it feels like DLC missions to me, but that's my take. Granted I'm only L10 and have a long way to go. Hoping it opens up more soon. Don't want to spoil any story for anyone.

Game seems to run fine for the most part. Some early hiccups on the framerate for the first 30-60 seconds of gameplay once I load, but after that it's smooth. I have everything cranked with vsync on. Did have all audio cut out once today while a friend and I were playing, but reloading the game fixed that.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
Mavericks has an improved OpenGL stack, so for games it's much better. Yosemite does offer improvements in games that Use OpenGL 4.

In Hitman Absolution my minimum framerate more than doubled on 10.10.

sorry if im being thick do you mean that mavericks is better than yosemite or mavericks is better than the older systems?

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
sorry if im being thick do you mean that mavericks is better than yosemite or mavericks is better than the older systems?

Mountain Lion and Lion have OpenGL 3.2

Mavericks has OpenGL 4.1
Yosemite better polished 4.1 and better drivers.

If a game is designed to use features from 3.3+ it cannot run on somthing like ML that only has 3.2.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Mountain Lion and Lion have OpenGL 3.2

Mavericks has OpenGL 4.1
Yosemite better polished 4.1 and better drivers.

If a game is designed to use features from 3.3+ it cannot run on somthing like ML that only has 3.2.

Have you observed better performance in Yosemite from slightly older games? I'm most curious about Deus Ex: Human Revolution and other titles that were released for Lion/Mountain Lion.

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Have you observed better performance in Yosemite from slightly older games? I'm most curious about Deus Ex: Human Revolution and other titles that were released for Lion/Mountain Lion.

Nothing sadly, as the game needs to be using the OpenGL 4.0 stack at least. Which means only newer games, and Deus Ex lists 10.8 as a requirement so it should be using OGL 3.2

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
I believe you should buy this game if you want better games on Mac.

Aspyr has always impressed me with their dedication to multiple platforms. Buying this game for Mac and voicing support for the Mac version helps Aspyr get funding and funding is CRUCIAL to this business.

The reason iOS has more games than Android is because people speak with their wallets. If we do the same, Mac can have as many games as PC does and more even.

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
I believe you should buy this game if you want better games on Mac.

Aspyr has always impressed me with their dedication to multiple platforms. Buying this game for Mac and voicing support for the Mac version helps Aspyr get funding and funding is CRUCIAL to this business.

The reason iOS has more games than Android is because people speak with their wallets. If we do the same, Mac can have as many games as PC does and more even.

Not only that, it's the first Mac AAA game to launch the same day as Windows. :D

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Not only that, it's the first Mac AAA game to launch the same day as Windows. :D
…apart from all Blizzard games since 2000, Dragon Age 2, The Sims 3, Spore, The Settlers 7, The Elder Scrolls Online and probably a couple of others (ignoring expansions with same day releases such as Civ V Brave New World or XCOM: Enemy Within).

:p

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
…apart from all Blizzard games since 2000, Dragon Age 2, The Sims 3, Spore, The Settlers 7, The Elder Scrolls Online and probably a couple of others (ignoring expansions with same day releases such as Civ V Brave New World or XCOM: Enemy Within).

:p

Oh snap! Haha. Besides Blizz games, I never realized the others did as well.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Finished playthrough 1 the other night, started TVHM with a friend last night. Game seems kind of short -- at least the main quest missions. And it still feels like a big DLC to me, but we're going back to knock out more side quests and grind for loot still.

Have had a few lockups during the game, and the "character stuck in slow motion running" bug is annoying, but appears to be cross-platform so hopefully that will get addressed soon.

I hadn't played a FPS in a while on a computer so mouse/keyboard was getting ugly for me. Wound up hooking up a wired Xbox 360 controller and it works great.

xSinghx

Suspended
Oct 2, 2012
Think of Borderlands this way: If Diablo were a first-person shooter.

That being said, and despite my having put several hundred hours into Diablo II, I just can not get into Borderlands or the second game. Co-op was kind of fun for a while, but I got bored of it after about 6 hours. I tried taking on the sequel solo for a bit, but when the first boss kept kicking my you-know-what, I said screw it. Didn't help that the game ran like garbage on OS X.

It's stuff like this that really makes me wish you could remove games from your Steam library all together.

I kind of agree with you a bit. I still haven't made it through the first Borderlands and had a very slow start on the second.

I think the game's shine comes late - probably once you've gotten up to level 25-35 and have a couple of gold weapons. The main story for BL2 is also not it's strongest feature. The strength story wise is in the side quests and DLC. That's where the humor and interest works well. Who can't enjoy listening to Mr. Torgue?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM7hLzhAdD8

Edit: (For those that have the pre sequel MAS version) Have there been any problems with the multiplayer?

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Does the grinder play any strategic role for you in the game, or is it just a toy?

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
How To Display FPS in Borderlands 2 (& Pre-Sequel?)

I found a neat trick to enable you to see the FPS you're running in Borderlands 2, but I wonder if anyone's had time to see if it works in the Pre-Sequel?

In the Finder, click on the Go menu and then press and hold the option key. This will add the Library to the list of things you can open from that menu. Click on Library, and then it will open this normally-invisible Library folder.

From there, go to ~/Library/Application Support/Borderlands 2/WillowGame/Config. In that folder, you'll want to open the WillowInput.ini in Text Edit. Find the [Engine.Console] section and edit the following line right under it:

Change ConsoleKey=Undefine to ConsoleKey=Tilde

Save and quit Text Edit.

Open Borderlands 2, and hit the tilde ~ key. This should bring up a single line console in the middle of the screen.

Type this into that line to see your running FPS:

stat FPS

It will show your running FPS in the top righthand corner.

Also, it will only work until you quit the game. You have to invoke the console by hitting ~ each time you want to see the FPS

I researched these from a combination of PC and Mac resources, and have tested it myself. It has no adverse effect on gameplay. But, if you want to get back to the pre-altered game, just single click on the UNEDITED WillowInput.ini file (BEFORE you change it) and duplicate it, and drag it to your Mac's desktop. Drag it back to replace the edited one if needed.

I use the method to track adjustments to the graphics settings to see what - if anything - they change in the performance of the game.

I'm running a late 2012 21.5" iMac 2.9Ghz i5, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 650M 512MB (I realize that my video ram is my bottleneck for high texture settings, before anyone says anything. :)

I could be wrong, but the game seems capped at 60FPS, because at lowest res at lowest settings, that's about where it hovers (56-60FPS). Running it at 1080p and everything on & maxed, it runs about 28-32FPS.

Thoughts? I'm just tickled to be able to know what that performance is in this game, because I'm a numbers guy. :) But I'm also curious to see if the Pre-Sequel runs smoother on same hardware.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Does the grinder play any strategic role for you in the game, or is it just a toy?

I've played with it using known recipes, even to produce Legendary items. However the produced item level is an average of the ingredients. So since Legendaries aren't abundant while leveling -- I have a L40 Claptrap and L34 Wilhelm -- I am just avoiding it now until I'm capped.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
I've played with it using known recipes, even to produce Legendary items. However the produced item level is an average of the ingredients. So since Legendaries aren't abundant while leveling -- I have a L40 Claptrap and L34 Wilhelm -- I am just avoiding it now until I'm capped.

Have you tried my trick for displaying your FPS while playing?

sparkplug37

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2010
I found a neat trick to enable you to see the FPS you're running in Borderlands 2, but I wonder if anyone's had time to see if it works in the Pre-Sequel?

Just tried this and it does work on the Pre-Sequel steam version. The key mapping seemed to be slightly different as I needed to use the key '§' not '~' even though I set the config to Tilde.

As for FPS, my average seems to be (MacPro 2013 16GB hex + D700 running @ 2560 x 1600 with everything set to max):

Borderlands 2: 45-63 fps
Pre-Sequel: 60fps

Pity I can't make use of the second GPU under the mac.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Just tried this and it does work on the Pre-Sequel steam version. The key mapping seemed to be slightly different as I needed to use the key '§' not '~' even though I set the config to Tilde.

As for FPS, my average seems to be (MacPro 2013 16GB hex + D700 running @ 2560 x 1600 with everything set to max):

Borderlands 2: 45-63 fps
Pre-Sequel: 60fps

Pity I can't make use of the second GPU under the mac.

Pity the games are capped at 60fps. Or do you have yours set for unlimited?

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Have you tried my trick for displaying your FPS while playing?

Not yet, but will be next time I play. I have everything cranked and it seems to run well but I'm interested in benchmarking at various detail levels.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
It works! Thanks for the tip! iMac with i7 and 780 getting around 40s at 2560x1440 with everything else cranked, but will probably go down a few steps on resolution to experiment.

Edit: Well apparently 40s is outside. Around 70s inside.

Last edited:

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Oh snap! Haha. Besides Blizz games, I never realized the others did as well.

Aside from the expansions, the others don't really count because they are WINE wrappers. Blizzard games don't really count either because they develop the Mac and PC versions in-house together during development.

Same-day ports are still a rarity, but hopefully it's something Aspyr and Feral can continue to do more of.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.