Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
1Password seems to have better developer integration (a lot of apps are getting 1Password support).

However I have LassPass Premium on my all my computers and phones. I think it works great in that sense and with iOS 8 Extensions it's even better.

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2011
Paid for full license yesterday for 1PW. The UI and really everything about the solution sealed the deal for me. The support for all questions up front were handled much faster than I could ever hoped for, too.

Bl0ckHe1d

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2009
Caledonia
Sorry if this sounds dumb, however what is the difference between using 1password and the like compared to OSX Keychain?

Appreciate if anyone can tell me!

infantrytrophy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
Sorry if this sounds dumb, however what is the difference between using 1password and the like compared to OSX Keychain?

Appreciate if anyone can tell me!

Keychain works well, within it's limitations. Its use is limited to Safari, and it is limited to the Apple ecosystem. Its single purpose is to store passwords and recall them conveniently for log-ins. Access to the passwords is open to anyone with access to one of your device's Safari browser.

1PW is a much bigger solution. It manages passwords, of course, but it has much more robust security (256-bit encryption). It's "vault" file is stored locally and syncs (if you allow it to) to other platforms through Dropbox or Wi-Fi, or syncs to other Apple devices through iCloud. It can generate secure, long random passwords (Keychain does this also). It can store other types of data securely - credit cards, ID data, passports, reward program info, driver licenses, secure notes (with attachments) and more. 1PW works with other web browsers (through plug-ins) - Chrome and Firefox. Probably IE, too. 1 PW works across platforms with Android & Windows.

Keychain is simple, easy to use and just works. 1PW can be a simple, just-works-type of thing, or it can do much more if you learn to use its capabilities.

You can use both. For non-sensitive stuff like internet forum passwords, Keychain is fine. For bank accounts, email access passwords and other sensitive accounts, you can benefit from the added security of 1PW

0wls

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2014
One of the things I really love about LastPass is the security check and when something like Heartbleed popped up, you could see if you had an account on any of the affected sites.

Are there features like that with 1password?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
One of the things I really love about LastPass is the security check and when something like Heartbleed popped up, you could see if you had an account on any of the affected sites.

Are there features like that with 1password?

Yes. 1Paassword (via Watchtower feature) keeps tabs on any website account listed in your vault. Should a problem arise with the website, the user is notified instantly.

0wls

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2014
Yes. 1Paassword (via Watchtower feature) keeps tabs on any website account listed in your vault. Should a problem arise with the website, the user is notified instantly.

Thank you so much! I'm going to download the trial now.

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
Lastpass for me. 1password is bleedin' expensive- also I play around with different operating systems etc and lastpass is completely cross platform.

1password is more pretty though, admittedly. Also you have the benefit of controlling your own data rather than entrusting it to someone else's servers (on the plus side, if anything happens to lastpass you can still login offline and view your cached copy)

Bl0ckHe1d

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2009
Caledonia
Thanks guys much appreciated!

Although only one snag, is there a way to achieve the OSX 10.9 (assuming it called 1password4) version? App store and the agilebit only appear to offer the OSX 10.10 version (1password5)?

Not keen to update to 10.10 at this moment in time...

Last edited:

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2011
Lastpass for me. 1password is bleedin' expensive- also I play around with different operating systems etc and lastpass is completely cross platform.

1password is more pretty though, admittedly. Also you have the benefit of controlling your own data rather than entrusting it to someone else's servers (on the plus side, if anything happens to lastpass you can still login offline and view your cached copy)

It's $48 ONE TIME, and that's if you use Win and Mac. You yourself stated that you have the benefit of controlling your own data rather than entrusting it to someone else's servers...kind of a big deal. With 1PWyou have 1PW Anywhere allowing you to access your data anywhere you have an internet connection. Lastpass is $12/year....no brainer to me.

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
It's $48 ONE TIME, and that's if you use Win and Mac. You yourself stated that you have the benefit of controlling your own data rather than entrusting it to someone else's servers...kind of a big deal. With 1PWyou have 1PW Anywhere allowing you to access your data anywhere you have an internet connection. Lastpass is $12/year....no brainer to me.

It was some amount like that one time.... then it was that again when a newer version came out, then it moved to the Mac App Store and they expected us to buy it AGAIN!
I don't trust them not to do a future version as a new, separate app and call it "1password HD" or something.

Well, as soon as you use any of the cloud services, you are once again entrusting your data to someone else's servers. That's just a price you pay for convenience.

However, I did try to be fair to both, rather than being a shill for Agilebits and jumping down the throat of anyone who dares to use something different to me.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Dashlane for me. Updated for iOS 8 with fingerprint login and can be installed on as many macs/pc's and iPhones/iPads as I want.

Just tried to give Dashlane a shot but couldn't get past the initial login/setup screen. Getting an error -1102.

I've used Dashlane since it first came out (so I get all premium features free for life as I was a beta tester), but recently it's been extremely buggy. Their iOS 8 extension doesn't work (keeps saying Master Password is wrong) and customer service never responds to any issues (maybe because I get it for free?)

Just recently switched to 1Password and so far I'm loving it. My only gripe is the high cost of the OS X version - which I don't mind paying, but seeing that the company has released new versions in the past and charged for them has me on the edge. I have the Pro on iOS so I enjoy that… just wish OS X would get something similar without the repeated costs.

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2011
It was some amount like that one time.... then it was that again when a newer version came out, then it moved to the Mac App Store and they expected us to buy it AGAIN!
I don't trust them not to do a future version as a new, separate app and call it "1password HD" or something.

Well, as soon as you use any of the cloud services, you are once again entrusting your data to someone else's servers. That's just a price you pay for convenience.

However, I did try to be fair to both, rather than being a shill for Agilebits and jumping down the throat of anyone who dares to use something different to me.

Jumping down your throat? No. I just did my research. You should dig around a little more. Until a week or so ago I was using Lastpass.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Thanks guys much appreciated!

Although only one snag, is there a way to achieve the OSX 10.9 (assuming it called 1password4) version? App store and the agilebit only appear to offer the OSX 10.10 version (1password5)?

Not keen to update to 10.10 at this moment in time...
You are seeing 1Password 5 in the MAS while running Mavericks? That isn't supposed to be the case.

Send a pm to Kyle (Agilebits rep who posts here). He might be able to help you out.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/20099515/

Last edited:

Basilfawltyone

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2013
Chicago, IL
Tried several of the “safe” apps for Mac with iOS integration. This is by far the best. Simple and intuitive. It is poerful yet easy to understand. Backup is VERy easy to create and is password protected itself. This new version even has a better user interface - both the Mac version and the versions for your iPad and iPhone.

I use the app on a daily basis - normally I enter all my info like credit cards, codes etc. on my computer at home and then use it from my mobile units.

My wife bought it as well (before Familysharing!) and we can send entries between each other encrypted. Great function is that if someone tries to enter OneSafe on your iOS device OneSafe takes a piture and saves it so you can see who did it.

I have tries other apps but find them more PC:ish, OneSafe is made for and works perfect with Mac and is easy to use.

I read that some people had problems earlier this year to sync with iCloud Drive. I encountered the same problem for most of my third party apps. Contacted Lunabees support and got helped in hours. Now with the new version everything works flawless. Think Apple had some problems with iCloud Drive initially but all solved now at least for me.

Highly recommended app - only negative is the default colors inside the app but you can change them manually!

BR3W

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2010
I bought 1Password back during their heartbleed sale but I've never used it. I use keychain and really don't want to maintain two databases due to (last I checked) 1Password couldn't sync with iCloud password information.

Basilfawltyone

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2013
Chicago, IL
I bought 1Password back during their heartbleed sale but I've never used it. I use keychain and really don't want to maintain two databases due to (last I checked) 1Password couldn't sync with iCloud password information.

I recommend OneSafe. It does not interfere with Keychain like other safes do.

It is just a place to store your passwords, documents, pdf etc.

Used it on my MAC and two iOS devices for three month and just perfect.

I prefer to use Apples own Keychain untouched.

BR3W

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2010
1Password does not have any relationship to the iCloud (or local OS X) keychain.
That's the problem. I want to export all my passwords from keychain into 1password. Since I wasn't able to do that my purchase went unused.

Probably requires Apple developing a way to export things to 3rd parties rather than 3rd parties figuring out how to get things out of keychain so I can't be disturbed by the security protections.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.