Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Allthings-I

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014
Try these guys
http://www.x-sim.me/index.php?menu=home

8 hours precisely and $35 later and my device is free

I understand that you said you have evidence and that you spent money to free your device but Verizon iPhones are 100% Factory Unlocked -- I can confirm this also long with 100's of other members on this thread....

The report you have will say "False" thats normal, Verizon cannot lock the devices by law due to their agreement with FCC -- however they can have Apple report the devices as Locked...these phones otherwise would just have a the activation policy as "Retail Unlocked".

I think you can understand when you ask store reps (Apple or Verizon) they will never confirm to you that the Verizon iPhone is unlocked by default....its part of the Verizon agreement with Apple and we all know that every carrier likes to "lock" its devices so that customers don't flee to competitors.

Knowing their device is locked, customers will think twice about the possible extra cost to switch over...

----------

It's funny, my Verizon iPad can produce ATT LTE with the ATT sim. But if I put the same ATT sim inside my Verizon iPhone 5S, I only get 4G. No LTE even though I'm in the coverage area. Are the ATT iPad sims lock to prevent LTE on other devices?

You mentioned iPad, but dint mention what model?

iPad Air / Retina Mini = Universal, they support CDMA+GSM(3G/4G)+LTE on all USA networks without exception...something I have personally tested with both of those models.

Verizon iPhone 5S = 100% AT&T + T-Mobile LTE -- I am using it at the moment.

Why it doesn't work for you, be beyond me.

goldengopher

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2013
Thanks so much for providing all of this information. I have a question in response to this.

In order to get the iPhone 6, I will be selling my iPhone 5. I plan on doing so through Amazon, as I've had good experience there in the past.

I have a Verizon iPhone 5 that was sold to me on contract.
On Amazon, there are two separate product listings, and I don't know which I should be selling under. Should I be selling it as "iPhone 5 Verizon" or "iPhone 5 Factory Unlocked".

Factory Unlocked phones are going for a significant premium over just "Verizon", and my understanding is that would be appropriate to list under based on this thread. I don't want to mislead the buyer or provide someone with something that's not what they paid for, so I want to make sure.

Thanks!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Thanks so much for providing all of this information. I have a question in response to this.

In order to get the iPhone 6, I will be selling my iPhone 5. I plan on doing so through Amazon, as I've had good experience there in the past.

On Amazon, there are two separate product listings, and I don't know which I should be selling under. Should I be selling it as "iPhone 5 Verizon" or "iPhone 5 Factory Unlocked".

Factory Unlocked phones are going for a significant premium over just "Verizon", and my understanding is that would be appropriate to list under based on this thread. I don't want to mislead the buyer or provide someone with something that's not what they paid for, so I want to make sure.

Thanks!
Interesting that those would go more than Verizon somehow given that Verizon is factory unlocked with the addition of Verizon support as well, as in it's certainly not worse and in a way better.

Allthings-I

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014

Thanks!

I would list it as Verizon and then in the title mention UNLOCKED -- mainly because the iPhone 5 from Verizon Only Supports 3G/4G on all other USA networks unlike iPhone 5C/5S which support 3G/4G + LTE on all other USA networks (they won't work on Sprint -- no phone purchased elsewhere besides from sprint will work on Sprint).

Hope that helps.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC

Thanks!

Interesting that those would go more than Verizon somehow given that Verizon is factory unlocked with the addition of Verizon support as well, as in it's certainly not worse and in a way better.

the verizon iphone 5 model doesn't get any t-mobile lte and only a limited spectrum of "4g" bandwidth. if i were selling an iphone 5, i'd list it as a verizon model.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
the verizon iphone 5 model doesn't get any t-mobile lte and only a limited spectrum of "4g" bandwidth. if i were selling an iphone 5, i'd list it as a verizon model.
You are completely right. I somehow was in the mindset of 5S/5C and not 5 when I replied to that post. Yes, in the case of 5 there's a difference.

questionmark32

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
So the only way to buy a Verizon phone off contract is to buy it at the Verizon store? The unlocked phones at the Apple Store won't work on Verizon, correct?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
So the only way to buy a Verizon phone off contract is to buy it at the Verizon store? The unlocked phones at the Apple Store won't work on Verizon, correct?
No, you can buy a Verizon device only iPhone at the Apple Store. You'd have to go to a retail location, though. Can't buy them online.

rwbmke

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2008
ATT Next upgrade or full price T-Mobile unlocked?

Edit: Sorry, didn't mean to post in this thread.

Hoping someone can steer me in the right direction or provide me with some pros/cons of each option. My contract with ATT isn't up until 10/3 but I'd like to be able to pre-order iPhone 6 on 9/12. I am eligible to upgrade on ATT Next plan (and would probably pay off the phone as soon as possible) or purchase full price T-Mobile from Apple online store (assuming it comes unlocked). If I purchase T-Mobile unlocked can I put my current ATT sim in and start using right away (even though my contract isn't up until 10/3)? I'd also consider switching to T-Mobile if their service is decent in my area.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Does the matrix in the OP also apply to the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus phones?

I can't speak to all the permutations in the OPs matrix, but post #6 is still accurate.

My Verizon iPhone 6 in the past 24 hours has been successfully tested with AT&T and T-Mobile SIM cards, in addition to Verizon (obviously).

FWIW, my Verizon iPhone 5S was used for a year on the AT&T network, and also worked with GSM/LTE SIM cards in four Caribbean countries. The iPhone 6 covers additional LTE bands over and above what the 5S supported.

If I was in the market for a new unlocked phone, I'd definitely get an off-contract (aka: "month-to-month") Verizon iPhone 6. And I would stay far, far away from the Sprint iPhones.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
I can't speak to all the permutations in the OPs matrix, but post #6 is still accurate.

My Verizon iPhone 6 in the past 24 hours has been successfully tested with AT&T and T-Mobile SIM cards, in addition to Verizon (obviously).

FWIW, my Verizon iPhone 5S was used for a year on the AT&T network, and also worked with GSM/LTE SIM cards in four Caribbean countries. The iPhone 6 covers additional LTE bands over and above what the 5S supported.

If I was in the market for a new unlocked phone, I'd definitely get an off-contract (aka: "month-to-month") Verizon iPhone 6. And I would stay far, far away from the Sprint iPhones.

Thanks. My buddy has Sprint (still on iPhone 4!) and I told him that when selling, Sprint phones are locked to Sprint. Wasn't sure if still true for the 6/6+.

mikeasmel

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2007
Verizon iphone 5 on other networks

So if I am reading this thread correctly, my Verizon iPhone 5 (Model ND097LL/A) will not work "perfectly" on Tmobile's fastest network? Will it work on any other U.S. carrier's network at full capacity/speed (Sprint)?

I have currently have 2 iPhone 5s and 1 iPhone 5c and want to get a new iPhone for one more more family member...amazingly, Tmobile is the best network in my hometown (just north of New York City), and Verizon service is terrible here. However, everywhere else in the U.S. Verizon is generally better service. The problem is that current 3 iPhones may not work well on other carriers and I'd need new iPhones for everyone (though I don't need or want new ones).

help?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So if I am reading this thread correctly, my Verizon iPhone 5 (Model ND097LL/A) will not work "perfectly" on Tmobile's fastest network? Will it work on any other U.S. carrier's network at full capacity/speed (Sprint)?

I have currently have 2 iPhone 5s and 1 iPhone 5c and want to get a new iPhone for one more more family member...amazingly, Tmobile is the best network in my hometown (just north of New York City), and Verizon service is terrible here. However, everywhere else in the U.S. Verizon is generally better service. The problem is that current 3 iPhones may not work well on other carriers and I'd need new iPhones for everyone (though I don't need or want new ones).

help?
The Verizon 5 doesn't fully support everything, like LTE on various other carriers, and even some faster "4G" on some carriers like T-Mobile. This doesn't apply to 5s or 5c (or the new 6 or 6 Plus) phones as those can work just fine on other (GSM) carriers.

Sprint and Verizon both only allow their own phones on their network, so a Verizon one can work on other GSM carriers (like AT&T, T-Mobile, etc.) but won't work on Sprint.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Checking for a buddy who is thinking of switching from Sprint to T-Mobile, I thought his iPhone 5s from Sprint would not work on T-Mobile, but the FAQ on the bottom of the T-Mobile site says otherwise:

http://www.t-mobile.com/bring-your-own-phone.html

Has anyone here actually had success with this?
I believe the key part there is that piece about it being compatible once it is unlocked. Getting it unlocked from Sprint is the hard part.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Checking for a buddy who is thinking of switching from Sprint to T-Mobile, I thought his iPhone 5s from Sprint would not work on T-Mobile, but the FAQ on the bottom of the T-Mobile site says otherwise:

http://www.t-mobile.com/bring-your-own-phone.html

Has anyone here actually had success with this?

Can my Sprint iPhone 5 work on T-Mobile’s network?

Yes, the Sprint iPhone 5 is compatible with T-Mobile’s nationwide 4G LTE network once you have unlocked your phone.

Sprint phones are locked, and Sprint is notorious for refusing to unlock them. I would caution him not to get his hopes up.

Allthings-I

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014
Does the matrix in the OP also apply to the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus phones?

All applies to the Verizon iPhone 6/6+

We have 4 of them:

1 - Verizon 6+
2 - T-Mobile "Contract Free"
1 - AT&T

All purchased from Apple Store at full retail prices.

cryztal6

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2014
Hello. My friend has recently started using his Verizon iPhone 5c on T-mobile. Since he is having a signal issue from inside of a building I was wondering if there is anything he can try. Does he need to do something like for example, turn off CDMA roaming?

He does get LTE in other locations.

Thanks!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hello. My friend has recently started using his Verizon iPhone 5c on T-mobile. Since he is having a signal issue from inside of a building I was wondering if there is anything he can try. Does he need to do something like for example, turn off CDMA roaming?

Thanks!
Are there others with T-Mobile that aren't having similar issues where you friend is? It sounds like more or less some typical signal penetration issues that T-Mobile tends to have.

Allthings-I

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014

Thanks!

T-Mobile has poor indoor coverage and this is a known fact. Tell your friend to turn on WiFi Calling and connect to a WiFi network if available to continue receiving calls and texts while indoors. There is nothing he needs to do, the moment you insert a GSM SIM into the Verizon 5C/5S/6/6+ the CDMA portion gets turned off. Lastly this is a issue of T-Mobile and has nothing to do with Apple's iPhone.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch

Is this an issue with voice, data, or both?

Keitha5030

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2014
So an unlocked Sprint is actually better then than unlocked Verizon? Can somebody who got Sprint confirm if they can put in any sim and works out of the box right away?

NO!!! A Sprint 5C is the A1456 model and nowhere close to being "any-SIM" compatible. As with other sprint phones I'm sure their 5C can be "flashed" to other networks, however im almost positive certain features (LTE, MMS,?) become inoperable. Sprint phones in general (yes even iPhones) are subpar! However that should change January 1, 2015 when the new consumer right to unlock bill goes into effect! For now the unlocked version of the 5C is the A1532 and that is your best bet if you want headache-less freedom to use your 5C on whichever network you choose! Hope this helps

----------

Is this an issue with voice, data, or both?

I would assume all CDMA functions should be switched off considering T-mobile uses a GSM network

Allthings-I

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014
NO!!! A Sprint 5C is the A1456 model and nowhere close to being "any-SIM" compatible. As with other sprint phones I'm sure their 5C can be "flashed" to other networks, however im almost positive certain features (LTE, MMS,?) become inoperable. Sprint phones in general (yes even iPhones) are subpar! However that should change January 1, 2015 when the new consumer right to unlock bill goes into effect! For now the unlocked version of the 5C is the A1532 and that is your best bet if you want headache-less freedom to use your 5C on whichever network you choose! Hope this helps

----------

I would assume all CDMA functions should be switched off considering T-mobile uses a GSM network

Sprint iPhone 5C/5S/6/6+ are perfectly capable phones along with majority of the Sprint phones from the past year, however Sprint's numbed unlock policy makes it impossible to unlock the devices or even when unlocked, makes them impossible to be used on any US networks. Its not the phones its Sprint that cripples the devices.

Anyone trying right now to get or even unlock a Sprint phone is wasting their time and energy because the success = virtually impossible.

As for their next year unlock policy...guess what Sprint made it clear that any device sold before the date they start unlocking them...will not be eligible for unlock.

cmpxmag

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2014
Help

So the Sprint Iphone 5c I recently bought off ebay is useless unless I want to use it with Sprint?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.