Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tamagnocchi

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
I wouldn't be surprised if only the cellular (5,4) version has the 2gb ram.

We know that the celluar version has 2gb ram, but what about the wifi only version?

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I wouldn't be surprised if only the cellular (5,4) version has the 2gb ram.

We know that the celluar version has 2gb ram, but what about the wifi only version?

They'll be identical, no way no how will they differ (other than cellular components and gps).

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Yeay! 2GB confirmed! This is really a BIG surprise. The first iPad I am gonna own is better than I ever imagined.

Infinite Jest

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Harrisonburg, Va
iPad Air 2 has 2 GB RAM and a three core A8x processor

Yeay! 2GB confirmed! This is really a BIG surprise. The first iPad I am gonna own is better than I ever imagined.

Who knows, maybe by 2030 there will be 4 GB of RAM and an email app that lets you attach documents intuitively. What will Apple think of next??? *he said sarcastically, still pissed that the Mini 3 was thrown out with the bath water*

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Who knows, maybe by 2030 there will be 4 GB of RAM and an email app that lets you attach documents intuitively. What will Apple think of next??? *he said sarcastically, still pissed that the Mini 3 was thrown out with the bath water*

I think Apple tried to keep Mini as 2nd tier tablet as they intended with the first Mini. Last year was the odd one so they are fixing their mistake this time.

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 10, 2010
I think Apple tried to keep Mini as 2nd tier tablet as they intended with the first Mini. Last year was the odd one so they are fixing their mistake this time.

I agree with your statement. However it's puzzling why Apple didn't bother to at least throw in an A8 processor.

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
I agree with your statement. However it's puzzling why Apple didn't bother to at least throw in an A8 processor.

And I agree with you. Though we understand that Apple wants to ax down Mini spec, adding only touch ID as improvement is just too mean for customer. To me, at least improve the camera or the display. Processor improvement may not be so noticeable for general public (macrumors forumers are not within the range of my 'general public')

Gatchers

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2013
I'm in the UK, and my order was delivered an hour or so ago - 2 Air 2s, 128Gb, Gold and Silver. As is known now, they are definitely 2Gb/3 core, and possibly one of the nicest pieces of technology I've ever held.

I'm not just here to gloat, I just hadn't seen anyone post in this thread who had one yet.

ConvertedToMac

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2009
I'm in the UK, and my order was delivered an hour or so ago - 2 Air 2s, 128Gb, Gold and Silver. As is known now, they are definitely 2Gb/3 core, and possibly one of the nicest pieces of technology I've ever held.

I'm not just here to gloat, I just hadn't seen anyone post in this thread who had one yet.

Great stuff. Mine was delivered a few hours ago. Still installing apps from my Air backup! I need to delete many of them...

It's a beautiful machine. But after I took the case off my Air for the first time in a year I realised that's a beautiful machine too!

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 10, 2010

You can gloat. Just a little bit though. ;)

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Despite the pleasant greatness of 3-core A8X and 2GB RAM, The Verge's review of Air 2 leaves me with doubts again. With all these processing power of the hardware, the software does not really keep up. iOS seems to favor iPhone more. Although that's not a bad thing from Apple's perspective (iPhone is their flagship hardware and most profitable segment), it leaves iPad owner sore.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I've just tried out Inifinite Flight with all the settings maxed out. It runs visibly smooth as silk whereas you could notice the lower framerate on the first Air. There is still a skip to the scenery every second but I suspect that is due to the game not being optimised for the A8X & 2GB RAM.

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 10, 2010
Despite the pleasant greatness of 3-core A8X and 2GB RAM, The Verge's review of Air 2 leaves me with doubts again. With all these processing power of the hardware, the software does not really keep up. iOS seems to favor iPhone more. Although that's not a bad thing from Apple's perspective (iPhone is their flagship hardware and most profitable segment), it leaves iPad owner sore.

I think the The Verge was saying this is really cool hardware now come on and do something cool with it. It's a valid thing to say but I'll willing to give it some time. I didn't keep the original Air because I felt like it was maxed out at the release. I was worried it would have a limited lifetime. The iPad Air 2 has power to spare and I think we'll see exciting things come to it in the upcoming years. It's kind of like buying a new game console on launch day.

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2007
Just ran geekbench on mine

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
And I agree with you. Though we understand that Apple wants to ax down Mini spec, adding only touch ID as improvement is just too mean for customer. To me, at least improve the camera or the display. Processor improvement may not be so noticeable for general public (macrumors forumers are not within the range of my 'general public')

EDIT: Nvm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.