Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saberz

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2012
Strike 2 :mad: Don't know how or what people are telling the rep to get their 10gb plan x2. But I tried again and still no go! I even explained that AT&T is doing this for others. She tried to tell me that, that isn't even an option in the system and tried to tell me that these people are either on 15 going to 30 or 20 going to 40! She didn't quite understand what I was saying. I gave up!

Same. Was told that 20gb isn't an option but for $4 more I could get the 30gb plan (I have a 20% discount). Don't want to spend more money than I currently am.

I think they are wise to this now

Koobs

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
It sucks because you have to lie to someone ("I am going to leave AT&T if you don't.."). A lot of people don't feel comfortable lying to another human being.

Don't look at it as lying. Look at it as being overcharged for 10gb of data.

surf2snow1

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
It sucks because you have to lie to someone ("I am going to leave AT&T if you don't.."). A lot of people don't feel comfortable lying to another human being.

While this is true, they should think of it as "getting what you should for your money". Cell and cable companies are charging WAY too much for data in this country.

ZhenyaF

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
Brooklyn, NY

You dont have to tell them you're planning to leave. I mentioned that Sprint has that offer and asked if AT&T can match it

tekkt0r

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2014
Same. Was told that 20gb isn't an option but for $4 more I could get the 30gb plan (I have a 20% discount). Don't want to spend more money than I currently am.

are you guys speaking to customer retention? they're the ones w/ the power to do this, not regular customer service.

bigchief

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
I got my 20GB last night and I verified it by going to myAT&T app right after talking to the agents. I didn't get a text until today and that was just a survey.

Now for those who criticized me about telling them I found out about the upgrade for the same amount of money on MacRumors, PAY ATTENTION. Both agents I talked to were tickled about it and said they were fans of MacRumors too. They asked the question and I was honest with them. I told them I think I deserve the same thing as a long time customer with AT&T as much as a new customer with Sprint. They agreed.

I now have 20GB family share plan for $100 + 4 iPhones at $15 a piece and I get a 18% fan discount for being a member of (HOG) Harley Owner's Group). :)

So, if you currently have the 10GB family share plan you need to make the call, and you don't have to lie to them about anything.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas

Well, you have to contact the retention dept in order to have the 20gb option. Speaking with customer service dept will only provide the option for the 30gb plan.. I had to be transferred to the retention dept after the customer service representative couldn't help me.

HXGuyAZ

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
I love this forum! :D

Just got off the phone with the retention department now, easy as cake to get the upgrade to 20GB. Basically just said "Hi, I'm calling because I saw Sprint has a 20GB plan for $100 and I was wondering if you guys could match that plan?" She asked me to confirm my account details and said sure, it will be effective today. Totally awesome! :cool:

rotlex

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2003
PA

Why would you lie? Called this AM. Simply stated I had heard that ATT would match the Sprint deal regarding 20GB of data. A very nice rep told me absolutely. Done in under 5 minutes. Never once did I mention leaving ATT.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I got my 20GB last night and I verified it by going to myAT&T app right after talking to the agents. I didn't get a text until today and that was just a survey.

Now for those who criticized me about telling them I found out about the upgrade for the same amount of money on MacRumors, PAY ATTENTION. Both agents I talked to were tickled about it and said they were fans of MacRumors too. They asked the question and I was honest with them. I told them I think I deserve the same thing as a long time customer with AT&T as much as a new customer with Sprint. They agreed.

I now have 20GB family share plan for $100 + 4 iPhones at $15 a piece and I get a 18% fan discount for being a member of (HOG) Harley Owner's Group). :)

So, if you currently have the 10GB family share plan you need to make the call, and you don't have to lie to them about anything.

Well, I didn't necessarily mention MacRumors... I just told AT&T about a friend of mine who had received success in getting their plan matched.

Although MacRumors is where I got the information from, didn't feel it was necessary to provide that information. The process was rather simple when i was transferred over to the retention dept. I think the confusion comes from speaking to the wrong people... but given the appropriate dept the process is rather simple.

ctbaz

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2014
They changed mine but it took the threat of changing carriers for them to do it.

bigchief

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
Well, I didn't necessarily mention MacRumors... I just told AT&T about a friend of mine who had received success in getting their plan matched.

Although MacRumors is where I got the information from, didn't feel it was necessary to provide that information. The process was rather simple when i was transferred over to the retention dept. I think the confusion comes from speaking to the wrong people... but given the appropriate dept the process is rather simple.

If you're AT&T what difference does it make where the customer found out about it? Damn! I mean what are they gong to do sue McRumors.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
Anyone have any success with a Premier account? I called and they insisted the double data was only on the 15GB plan. I even had him talk to a manager with no luck.

I did. The key is to get retentions - the people you talk to before you cancel your service.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
Called last night and asked if they can match Sprint's offerings. He said sure and had no issues. 15 minute call, about half on hold.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011

You don't have to lie. Almost everyone here is getting it with little effort (once you get through to retentions).

All I ever say is "I'm thinking about switching." Which may or may not be true at the start of the call but it most certainly is true by the end of the call depending on how they handle it. Give me what I want (within reason), I'm loyal. Give me a hard time or lie to me, then YES, I am thinking about switching at that point.

First off, this whole thing with doubling 15GB and above but NOT the 10GB is a scam and not really fair IMO. So yes, I feel entitled to having my data doubled also. I don't want to be "forced" into a more expensive plan.

My call last night was probably one of the best customer service experiences I've ever had with a phone rep - I did not have to argue and fight for what I wanted. And AT&T is giving me data I'll probably NEVER use anyway - the most we've ever used in a month is about 6GB. So they give me something I'll probably never use and continue to collect my $150 a month indefinitely. It's a win-win.

superlawyer15

Suspended
Sep 15, 2014
I called and used the long iPhone ship times as a primer, then transitioned into the 20gb of data.

Got it changed with no resistance from the rep, said change was effective immediately and reflected as such on my online account.

Slicktype

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
Would they double a 30gb plan to 60gb ? Or this is only good for going from 10 to 20gb ?
Thanks

mdawid

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
Okay - was able to finally get on board the 20gb train :) It took some finessing! I asked the CSR for the Retention Dept right away. He was reluctant to just transfer me and wanted to resolve my problem - after explaining what I was looking to do using all the "key words," he wanted to, of course, sell me on the 30gb deal. I said "No thanks, not looking to spend more per month." What he needed to hear from me before transferring me on over was "I was thinking of cancelling my service with AT&T" <- very important here. Of course, during the transfer, I was disconnected. I was then like, forget it. However, someone did call me back and then transferred me to the retention dept. I spoke to a really nice individual who was more than happy to help me out and not lose me as a customer. It wasn't an easy process and I kind of feel dirty about it! But, then again, having been on the Unlimited plan which was anything but....I guess it will all even out in the long-run. Today's day and age, it's all about choices and chasing after those deals.

Devlonc

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
I didn't threaten to switch, i just asked if they could match the plan. No lying required

jpcarro

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2009
On your nine
You don't have to lie. Almost everyone here is getting it with little effort (once you get through to retentions).

All I ever say is "I'm thinking about switching." Which may or may not be true at the start of the call but it most certainly is true by the end of the call depending on how they handle it. Give me what I want (within reason), I'm loyal. Give me a hard time or lie to me, then YES, I am thinking about switching at that point.

First off, this whole thing with doubling 15GB and above but NOT the 10GB is a scam and not really fair IMO. So yes, I feel entitled to having my data doubled also, I don't want to be "forced" into a more expensive plan. And AT&T is giving me data I'll probably NEVER use anyway - the most we've ever used in a month is about 6GB. So they give me something I'll probably never use and continue to collect my $150 a month indefinitely. It's a win-win.

I agree...no need to lie. I just asked if they would match the Sprint 20GB promotion and, after a short time to retrieve my account info, she said "yes".

I too was annoyed with the public promotion to double data for 15GB and above. Obviously trying to force us 10GB'ers to upgrade to 15GB and pay more. Maybe they had enough peeps complaining, so they started this "secret" promotion for the initiated.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
You dont have to tell them you're planning to leave.

As many others have shown by example, it's very easy to figure a way to do this while stating the truth.

In my case I stated that if I couldn't get the double-data on the 10GB plan I'd need to consider alternate carriers as I expected my data needs to go up and didn't want to pay more than my current bill.

There's absolutely nothing untrue in what I said above. Who doesn't consider alternate carriers periodically?

(FWIW, I wasn't aware of the Sprint promo when I called yesterday, just that they were giving the double data promo to 10GB mobile share customers if you asked. Otherwise it'd have been even easier)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.