Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you prefer customizable taps for TouchID button?

• Total voters

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 15, 2011
USA
I would love for Apple to give us the ability to customize actions for taps on TouchID button. I hardly use "Reachability" so I would prefer to have the task-switcher come up with double-taps. Other things I can think of is: a single tap to exit to Home-screen; three taps to perform other actions; etc. This would reduce the strain on the button. For people who don't prefer this, they would still have the physical home button to do what they want. And, yes, I know jailbreak will give us this feature but not everyone jailbreaks.

How many of you would prefer this customizability?

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
I've been wanting a single tap to return to the home screen since I got my 6 Plus. Hate how the home button is one of the first things to fail on iPhones.

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
I guess the option wouldn't hurt. I wouldn't turn it on by default, there would be far too many people "accidentally" brushing past their home button and something strange happening.

Reachability is one of my favourite things about the iPhone 6+, by the way.

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
I guess the option wouldn't hurt. I wouldn't turn it on by default, there would be far too many people "accidentally" brushing past their home button and something strange happening.
A lot of people seem to use that as an argument against having a touch-sensitive home button. But don't they realize that Androids and Windows Phones also have touch-sensitive home buttons, and I've never heard a complaint about accidentally pressing them.

I actually find that the touch-sensitive portion of the iPhone 6 home button is very hard to activate accidentally. You need to make contact with the metal ring it seems.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 15, 2011
USA
I think the guy with the "porcupine" option in his poll got it right, you need a troll sink when you create a poll.

LOL!

Reachability is one of my favourite things about the iPhone 6+, by the way.

I can understand your concern but I have yet to "accidentally" brush up against the home button. I guess an option to disable the tap feature would help people who have this issue.

the virtual home tweak is my favorite, and the reason i can't wait to jailbreak.

I might have to jailbreak again just for this. :)

A lot of people seem to use that as an argument against having a touch-sensitive home button. But don't they realize that Androids and Windows Phones also have touch-sensitive home buttons, and I've never heard a complaint about accidentally pressing them.

I actually find that the touch-sensitive portion of the iPhone 6 home button is very hard to activate accidentally. You need to make contact with the metal ring it seems.

I agree!

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
I guess all of China would be happy with a tap-for-homescreen. Literally every single iPhone I've ever seen here has that awful-looking accessibility option enabled.

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
I guess all of China would be happy with a tap-for-homescreen. Literally every single iPhone I've ever seen here has that awful-looking accessibility option enabled.
I had to use that for several months on my 4S when the home button decided to stop working. It magically started working again a year ago. Apparently the failures tend to be the result of foreign contaminants under the button.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
I had to use that for several months on my 4S when the home button decided to stop working. It magically started working again a year ago. Apparently the failures tend to be the result of foreign contaminants under the button.

It happened to my old 5, but I went to a repair shop a couple of days later, and it took no time to get the button sorted out.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Not sure what "strain on the home button" you're talking about - I've never had home button issues. The home button's durability was improved after the iPhone 4 days.

I don't think I'd use these tap options, but I guess they're be good to have for those who do. Though I think it's unlikely Apple will allow that kind of customization.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 15, 2011
USA
Not sure what "strain on the home button" you're talking about - I've never had home button issues. The home button's durability was improved after the iPhone 4 days.

I don't think I'd use these tap options, but I guess they're be good to have for those who do. Though I think it's unlikely Apple will allow that kind of customization.

It may have been improved but I've had home buttons on two iPhones (4S and 5) go bad after about 1.5 years of usage.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Not sure how much flexibility is available there. For example: some click combinations are used for Universal Access. One might reasonably assume that Apple has reserved taps for similar future functionality. Just a thought...

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 15, 2011
USA
Not sure how much flexibility is available there. For example: some click combinations are used for Universal Access. One might reasonably assume that Apple has reserved taps for similar future functionality. Just a thought...

Universal Access?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.