Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HRKrisell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2014
Okay. I'm peeved. :mad:

I bought my MacBook Pro 13" late 2011 model from Best Buy in Little Rock mid-June. It's been three months and I've started to notice the hinge making some clicking noises. Thinking this was odd, I took it in to my local Apple Store and they acted as if I was crazy. The guy ran a diagnostics test on it and everything and while there are no "internal" issues, I'm peeved because no normal hinge - or at least no one else's hinge on any other Mac I've seen - makes this noise. It's not SUPER loud, but it happens every time I open it and my parents assume i'm over reacting, but I hear it most because I'm on it all day long at college.

Should I take it in, yet again? Or just live with this ridiculous issue?

Thanks!

Darby67

macrumors 6502
You will probably get more response in the MacBook Pro forum.

Is it currently covered by Apple Care? If not I would suggest potentially taking it to a an Apple Certified repair place, you would likely get more help there than at the Apple Store.

yangchewren

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
Okay. I'm peeved. :mad:

I bought my MacBook Pro 13" late 2011 model from Best Buy in Little Rock mid-June. It's been three months and I've started to notice the hinge making some clicking noises. Thinking this was odd, I took it in to my local Apple Store and they acted as if I was crazy. The guy ran a diagnostics test on it and everything and while there are no "internal" issues, I'm peeved because no normal hinge - or at least no one else's hinge on any other Mac I've seen - makes this noise. It's not SUPER loud, but it happens every time I open it and my parents assume i'm over reacting, but I hear it most because I'm on it all day long at college.

Should I take it in, yet again? Or just live with this ridiculous issue?

Thanks!

I had a 2011 air with a clicky hinge which was eventually repaired due to the clicky hinge being stiff. Of course this required generally nice service centre front desk staff and equally pleasant technicians. The greatest pity was that the clicky hinged screen was likely to have been disposed since MBA screens are attached to their hinges.

You should look to get it repaired. The clickyness has something to do with the hinge having something trapped in its assembly and would get stiffer the more times you open it. Can you still open your laptop without its base lifting off?

HRKrisell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2014
I'm not sure what you mean by base lifting up, but I know that with like simple tasks such as typing, my screen seems to just shake! I don't understand it and I love Apple, but this issue is making me so mad at them.

And I know that the hinge has a spring in it - thats essentially what the hinge is - but the technician at the store told me its natural for it to make noise, but maybe on a crappy Dell or Toshiba, but not a $1300 MB. It just makes me worry that something is going to break.

And I fear that I may have worn out the hinge by opening and closing it so many times, but I just don't see how thats likely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.