Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
USA
I have a 750gb GoFlex Pro (7200RPM) external HD with Firewire/USB for my MBP. My Firewire adaptor stopped working properly, so I've rang Seagate to send me a replacement. No problems on that part.

I was also given the option to replace the HD for $10 (shipping), as it's still under warranty. What's giving me pause is that Seagate said they would send me a recertificated replacement, not a brand-new model. This makes me nervous, because I've heard mixed reviews of Seagate's recertificated drives.

The hard drive, as is, works just fine, but I've had it since 2012, with somewhat heavy use, so it'd be nice to get an almost-free replacement under warranty, but the recertification part makes me nervous. I don't want to replace a perfectly working HD with a potentially bad one, but I'm not sure how much longer my HD will last - they are unpredictable!

What would you recommend? Go ahead with the replacement, or keep the existing HD? I want to 'stretch' the purchase as much as possible.

Thanks!

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Sorry to be that guy, but bump. Can't believe nobody can give suggestions, especially considering most other threads here in this forum has at least one answer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.