Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
for me (2013 13" i7 with 8gb ram) mission control specifically seems to be a bit jaggy. Also switching between desktops is not as smooth as it was under mavericks.

Edit: It's not jaggy all the time but only occasionally. Maybe flux is part of the problem, as it has been acting up in the past as well. Runs smooth for the moment.

While flux is calibrating you will experience lag. It goes away after about 20 seconds

robdrj45

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
USA
Installed Yosemite on my 2012 Air this morning. So far, so good...no lag or other issues. Regarding the appearance, I have mixed feelings. I certainly wouldn't say it's terrible, like others have. IMO, the words/buttons are a bit easier to read and the icons appear crisper and more vibrant. I'm not that fond of the translucent window design, though.

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
Yes - very smooth. To be honest I'm surprised by this. I tend to wait until the first patch is released before loading up the latest O/S, but so far so good on my mid 2013 MBA.

And I'm digging the minimalist thing...

copa

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2013
While flux is calibrating you will experience lag. It goes away after about 20 seconds

yeah, it's not flux, it's the transparency.

Disabling it makes everything go back to buttery smooth. Bummer, I hope they can optimise it a bit more. Most people with this MBA configuration (2013 i7, 8gb) don't seems to be having a performance problem as I do.

robdrj45

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
USA
yeah, it's not flux, it's the transparency.

Disabling it makes everything go back to buttery smooth. Bummer, I hope they can optimise it a bit more. Most people with this MBA configuration (2013 i7, 8gb) don't seems to be having a performance problem as I do.

How do you disable transparency? TIA

copa

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2013
How do you disable transparency? TIA

it's in the accessibility settings (not entirely sure that that is what it's called in english), same place where you can configure cursor size etc. Checkbox says "reduce transparency" but as far as I can tell it doesn't reduce it as much as it outright disables the transparency altogether.

Errsomeone

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
Yosemite seems to be running well on my late 2010 13" MBA with 4GB RAM. Though, it is likely still a bit early for a final verdict.

I have not adjusted any settings with respect to transparency as mentioned earlier. All apps seem to work well, or at least as they did previously. However, I am not a very heavy user with the MS Suite and web being where most of my time is spent.

Mavericks seemed to index differently than prior versions and thus took a few moments for spotlight to catch-up on start. Yosemite does not seem to have this delay (at least as of yet).

May not be worth an update for my limited purposes but all seems well so far.

shoehornhands

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2014
I installed Yosemite on the MacBook Air in my sig and for the most part it's running great.

I did have an issue during the installation though. I created a USB installer and did a clean install. After the installation, I noticed in disk utility that my SSD had the same name as the partition (where it usually has the size and model information of the actual SSD it said "Macintosh HD").

I found another thread on the forum called "Caution - Yosemite may screw up partitions" where people were experiencing the same problem. It turns out Yosemite had converted my SSD / partitions to CoreStorage for some odd reason. Luckily it only takes a few short terminal commands to fix the problem (if your recovery partition isn't showing up in the boot manager, you may need to do this to access it).

One other thing is that my graphics are a little jittery in 2 places (that I've noticed so far anyway). When I start up the computer, right when the loading bar finishes and the desktop begins to appear, it's jittery when it loads. The other place is when I go to "about this mac" and switch between tabs (Overview, Displays, Storage, Support and Service tabs) it's a bit jittery when the new tab loads.

Obviously these are very minor issues. Overall, I really like Yosemite. It feels snappier, I get better battery life (at least the estimation has gone up) and I'm really digging the dark menu bar and dock.

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Has anyone seen an increase in memory usage? Mine is fully maxed out and is Swapping occasionally when I'm doing less intensive tasks. I used to run Safari with Netflix going, 7-12 tabs, Mail, Calendar, Messages, Reminders, Coda, Google Drive, DropBox, Mint Quick View, Color Maker, Unclutter and sometimes Evernote and still have about 1GB left of my 8GB of memory.

Now I run the same stuff but use only 3 tabs and not Coda and I am at 16MB of free space and I'm starting to Swap. -_- I cannot for the life of me find any run away memory leaks.

EDIT: Other than that, it runs very smooth.

shoehornhands

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2014
Has anyone seen an increase in memory usage? Mine is fully maxed out and is Swapping occasionally when I'm doing less intensive tasks. I used to run Safari with Netflix going, 7-12 tabs, Mail, Calendar, Messages, Reminders, Coda, Google Drive, DropBox, Mint Quick View, Color Maker, Unclutter and sometimes Evernote and still have about 1GB left of my 8GB of memory.

Now I run the same stuff but use only 3 tabs and not Coda and I am at 16MB of free space and I'm starting to Swap. -_- I cannot for the life of me find any run away memory leaks.

EDIT: Other than that, it runs very smooth.

I wouldn't be surprised if Yosemite is using slightly more memory especially considering this is the very first release. That said, did you try loading up those extra tabs to see how it runs (does the swap increase significantly)? I think OS X tries to make use of all your ram regardless of what you're doing. The OS might just be using that extra ram as a cache for unimportant stuff and you actually have more usable ram than it looks like.

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I wouldn't be surprised if Yosemite is using slightly more memory especially considering this is the very first release. That said, did you try loading up those extra tabs to see how it runs (does the swap increase significantly)? I think OS X tries to make use of all your ram regardless of what you're doing. The OS might just be using that extra ram as a cache for unimportant stuff and you actually have more usable ram than it looks like.
Ya, I've swapped 150MB in 10 minutes of work. So I stopped Netflix. I like to watch TV while I work for background noise.

anglognzls

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2011
Not as smooth as Mavericks for me in my Mid 2013 13" (i7, 8GB, 256GB). Every time i sign in onto my account after every shutdown, i get a spinning wheel and then a loading bar that shows up for about 2-5 seconds before it loads my desktop. I've asked my friend who has the same exact specs and model as me and he said he just sees the spinning wheel, but not the loading bar.

Anyone else getting the loading bar besides me?

jmazzamj

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
Runnig just wonderfully on both Airs in signature, exactly the same setup (cloned drives), just different SSD sizes and brands.

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Runnig just wonderfully on both Airs in signature, exactly the same setup (cloned drives), just different SSD sizes and brands.

By 'just wonderfully' do you mean as smooth and as fast as Mavericks? And do you notice increased speed on Yosemite compared to Mavericks?

John marts

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
Just got my new 11' air base model. Yosemite runs perfectly smooth on it. I don't have anything to compare it to though since it came with mavericks and I immediately upgraded to Yosemite. This is also my first macbook as well.

Reksy

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2013
Horrific lag on my 2013 MBA. It actually makes me hate using my mac :(

Swapping between workspaces is mega choppy now, dont even understand how this got so bad, but, this makes me think I need to give up apple and their forced obsolescence through updates.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
I have not noticed any problems with Yosemite on my MBA mid 2011. Its running nice and smoothly.

copa

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2013
Horrific lag on my 2013 MBA. It actually makes me hate using my mac :(

Swapping between workspaces is mega choppy now, dont even understand how this got so bad, but, this makes me think I need to give up apple and their forced obsolescence through updates.

Hey there. I had the same issues and did a SMC and PRAM reset, now it appears to be working better. It's very subjective right now but to me it feels better. I'll see tomorrow whether it actually holds.

copa

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2013
Does anybody know whether I can do anything about my machine swapping memory? I have an 8gb RAM MBA from 2013 and I'm currently sitting at ~500mb swap, which I can't understand. Guess the PRAM and SMC resets didn't do much good after all. :(

The OS has gone back to being choppy, too. -_-

EsspeN

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2010
Running Yosemite on Macbook Air 11" late 2010 4gbram 128gb SD.
Did a clean install, and im very happy with it.

Havent tried it on battery yet though.. But im very glad I switched and did a clean install =) (the computer might have improved a lot if a did a maverick clean install as well):apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.