Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
Why even start a thread about this?

Company you prefer starts doing things you dont want. Go buy from another tech company....

Its really not that difficult.

hotpotato123

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009

Company you prefer starts doing things you dont want. Go buy from another tech company....

Your statement is very common, but it's not a one-size-fits-all.

Where there is choice of similar products, if you hate one, you just select a different one. If you hate Asus notebooks, you can choose Lenovo, HP or Samsung. If you hate McDonalds, there's Wendys, Burger King or a multitude of food sources.

In the case of OSX, if you really like OSX, then there's a monopoly here.

Then you could say, "Use Windows, then" .... you get my point?

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
Your statement is very common, but it's not a one-size-fits-all.

Where there is choice of similar products, if you hate one, you just select a different one. If you hate Asus notebooks, you can choose Lenovo, HP or Samsung. If you hate McDonalds, there's Wendys, Burger King or a multitude of food sources.

In the case of OSX, if you really like OSX, then there's a monopoly here.

Then you could say, "Use Windows, then" .... you get my point?

Ubuntu is very similar to OSX and will run on anything- I use both.

You can also build a machine capable of running OS X that isn't apple hardware....

You could, if you can believe this, even use a non apple screen on a mac pro if you really hate glare so much.

The point is its a company, their main interest is to make money, so they'll endeavour to tailor their products to what they think their market wants. If someone doesn't want those products, buy ones that have what you want.

Last edited:

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX
If you "hate" Apple so much, then find an alternative. Vote with your wallet.
You could always just build a Mackintosh machine, and then you can do whatever you want, while "sticking it to the man".
I don't hate companies, I hate what the companies do. And so, no I don't hate Apple.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
OP, you seem to have a long list of issues with apple, some of which I agree with you and some I think are somewhat minor. Even on some, what I thought were big issues, weren't once I tried the newer product for instance matte screens on MBPs.I really hated losing that, but in general now, its really a minor issue.

The Mac mini is a curious move by apple, purposely hamstringing it. I disagree with your complaints about the ram being soldered in because you run VMs that require ram. If that is case, you configure the Mac at purchase time for the needed ram, i.e., upgrade to 16GB. I do think its a bad move by apple to move to a dual core processor on the Mac Mini.

All in all, if you're that agitated and upset about Apple, you should vote with your wallet. Instead of keeping buying stuff from them. Find another platform/product that offers you the configuration/hardware that is more in line with your needs.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010

The problem with this statement is that it is not as simple as it seems. Not much alternatives if you are already in the Apple ecosystem. Software runs on OS X, what are we suppose to do...go to Windows? Yea, right.

Apple understands this and has become what they first fought against in the beginning. It is the trend of the "Baby-Boomer" generation, and it is seen at Apple whose management come from that generation.

It is seen in the trend in most companies that start out small with grand vision and dreams and then as they grow change focus due to money, power etc.

There is "nothing new under the sun.." Why is everyone surprised?

Because people look for something to believe in, and people wanted to believe in Apple, which was idiotic to even think.

A company is in existence to make profits. If they can help humanity a little they may...but remember it is always about the "bottom-line"....wake up people!

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
The problem with this statement is that it is not as simple as it seems. Not much alternatives if you are already in the Apple ecosystem. Software runs on OS X, what are we suppose to do...go to Windows? Yea, right.

Apple understands this and is has become what they first fought against in the beginning. It is the trend of the "Baby-Boomer" generation, and it seem at Apple whose management come from that generation.

It seems the trend in most companies that start out small with grand vision and dreams and then as they grow change focus due to money, power etc.

There is "nothing new under the sun.." Why is everyone surprised?

Because people look for something to believe in, and people wanted to believe in Apple, which was idiotic to even think.

A company is in existence to make profits. If they can help humanity a little they may...but remember it is always about the "bottom-line"....wake up people!

The only real apple ecosystem is the iOS one. OS X is still as open as it always has been if you know how to use it.

You can use the iOS ecosystem with Mac OS X. Millions do.

If your gripe is with OS X then it's easy to switch to another platform/hardware.

If your gripe is with iOS (in this case it isn't) then you can't easily change, that was your choice and maybe you really need to consider how much you're actually sinking into iOS apps.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
OP, I completely agree. My next laptop will probably be one of the 12" Airs that is rumors for early 2015, but rest assured I will be installing Windows on it immediately - and probably deleting OS X off of it. After the embarrassment Apple calls Mail.app, I don't think I ever want to use OS X again for anything even remotely important.

hotpotato123

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
The point is its a company, their main interest is to make money, so they'll endeavour to tailor their products to what they think their market wants. If someone doesn't want those products, buy ones that have what you want.

No, it's not always the ruthless interest to make money.

Some companies BALANCE the interest to make money with the other side of taking responsibility to supply a product that is widely used in the marketplace.

Do you think Microsoft supplies updates for a decade solely because of money - no, it's a responsibility that a OS provider takes because people's livelihoods depend on their products.

When Kodak was the major supplier of film, there were speciality products that had smaller usage. Did Kodak supply those smaller products for money - no, because of responsibility as a major supplier.

Apple has the second most used OS in the marketplace. When you have that responsibility, Tim Cook can say, stuff it, we're here to make money. You people who need certain features such as matte screens, you can go use Windows. We make enough money without you.

It comes down to whether there is a sense of responsibility, or whether it really is about getting the biggest pile of cash in corporate history.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
The only real apple ecosystem is the iOS one. OS X is still as open as it always has been if you know how to use it.

You can use the iOS ecosystem with Mac OS X. Millions do.

If your gripe is with OS X then it's easy to switch to another platform/hardware.

If your gripe is with iOS (in this case it isn't) then you can't easily change, that was your choice and maybe you really need to consider how much you're actually sinking into iOS apps.

No, my gripe is not with OS X, but being strapped to Apple's hardware. Not sure what you mean by "open", please explain. Unless I buy or build a "hackintosh", what options do I have?

I was disappointed about the mac mini, but understand why they removed the quad-core. Heat issues and their push for better profits to upgrade customers to iMacs and mac pro. I get it...it's business, no brainer. But cutting the CPU's power on a system that is two years old....it shows the "true intent" of the company. Again, it is business. I get it...but the rest of the Apple fans STILL..."don't get it".

Last edited:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The lack of antiglare options for their laptops really annoys me, as does their regime of soldering on RAM.

OP - FWIW the 'Save As' option is now just 'Duplicate' which does the exact same thing really, as is a more meaningful name than 'Save As'.

The RAM is soldered on the 2014 model.

While I don't hate Apple for anything, I am in agreement that the anti-glare option and soldered RAM is now how things are. Anti-glare is actually important to me and why I continue to hold onto my 30" ACD and two 20" ACDs. Eventually my machines will need to be replaced and the iMac is probably the next logical move. With that, I'll be stuck with what I consider a mirror in front of my face. It wouldn't be so bad if I get prettied up and I actually want to look at myself all day long. :D

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
1. You are a writer? What apps require you to have more ram on your mba?
2. The ram and hdd are not soldered in on the mac mini
3. Buy an anti-glare foil?
4. A 17" laptop? For writing? ...
5. Mail apps all suck.
6. Use a different calendar app?

I'll agree 110% on 4-6. 17" isn't really portable if you're hauling it everywhere all the time. A 13" is great for a coffee shop, and more than powerful enough to pump Photoshop onto a 20 or 22" monitor when I'm home.

Mail apps all sort of suck - I'm not a heavy emailer, so I don't really see a problem with Mail however the complaints I hear about Mail can be equally applied to like every mail app.

Calendar apps are a dime a dozen. If you're willing to pay for any app you find it in good quality and functionality.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
No, my gripe is not with OS X, but being strapped to Apple's hardware. Not sure what you mean by "open", please explain. Unless I buy or build a "hackintosh", what options do I have?

I was disappointed about the mac mini, but understand why they removed the quad-core. Heat issues and their push for better profits to upgrade customers to iMacs and mac pro. I get it...it's business, no brainer. But cutting the CPU's power on a system that is two years old....it shows the "true intent" of the company. Again, it is business. I get it...but the rest of the Apple fans STILL..."don't get it".

Open meaning you don't have to just install apple certified software on it. It's not an "ecosystem" as was being claimed. Unlike iOS which is unless you jail break.

To be honest apart from the laptops I wouldn't buy any of apples "sealed" products that aren't easily upgradable by the user. I've got a MacBook Pro, and an old style Mac Pro. I wouldn't spend money on an iMac or a Mac mini.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Open meaning you don't have to just install apple certified software on it. It's not an "ecosystem" as was being claimed. Unlike iOS which is unless you jail break.

To be honest apart from the laptops I wouldn't buy any of apples "sealed" products that aren't easily upgradable by the user. I've got a MacBook Pro, and an old style Mac Pro. I wouldn't spend money on an iMac or a Mac mini.

Question: With your old Mac Pro. How will you upgrade the hardware? Are companies STILL providing drivers for newer hardware? As time goes by, will company's provide drivers for updated CPU's, video cards etc.?

Since the new Mac Pro's came out (which is barely upgradeable outside of Apple's "ecosystem" of using their hardware) is their hardware still out there with drivers supporting newer OS X's?

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
Question: With your old Mac Pro. How will you upgrade the hardware? Are companies STILL providing drivers for newer hardware? As time goes by, will company's provide drivers for updated CPU's, video cards etc.?

Since the new Mac Pro's came out (which is barely upgradeable outside of Apple's "ecosystem" of using their hardware) is their hardware still out there with drivers supporting newer OS X's?

I don't understand your question? I've had it since 2008, I installed Yosemite, which works fine, it's had ram upgrades and hard drive upgrades and I expect it will last me another 2 years, at which point I'll strip it and fiddle with it, and I'll buy a new one. 8 years is good innings for a computer

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
When buying a new one, are you referring to the new mac pro's? If so, I am unsure if anyone makes replaceable hardware for it. I may be wrong, but not sure.

What I mean is eventually if you have an old mac pro, the hardware will need upgrading, but I am unsure if manufacturer's are still making hardware for it.

I guess my question is how long will the old mac pros last without needing upgrading with the new OS X's and upgraded Final Cut X's etc.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
When buying a new one, are you referring to the new mac pro's? If so, I am unsure if anyone makes replaceable hardware for it. I may be wrong, but not sure.

What I mean is eventually if you have an old mac pro, the hardware will need upgrading, but I am unsure if manufacturer's are still making hardware for it.

I guess my question is how long will the old mac pros last without needing upgrading with the new OS X's and upgraded Final Cut X's etc.

I have no idea, mines the 2008 model and its getting a little slow, but no where near my work computer which is just painful.

Im pretty sure I could replace the internals though, although I might have to stop running osx, the ram, hard drives, dvd drives etc are a doddle, and I've done them all before..... I've never looked into replacing the motherboard.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
No, it's not always the ruthless interest to make money.

Fanboi-ism, or naivety, I just can't tell?

Some companies BALANCE the interest to make money with the other side of taking responsibility to supply a product that is widely used in the marketplace.

Do you think Microsoft supplies updates for a decade solely because of money - no, it's a responsibility that a OS provider takes because people's livelihoods depend on their products.[/quote]

Microsft supplies you with free updates to keep you tied into their operating systems and for software manufacturers to keep making software for their OS's. If manufacturers stop making software for their OS's, the stop buying the OS, in order to achieve a monopoly on the market

When Kodak was the major supplier of film, there were speciality products that had smaller usage. Did Kodak supply those smaller products for money - no, because of responsibility as a major supplier.

Kodak was the first manufacturer to bring photography to a mass market, you bought the film, and sent it back to them to process, when they sent the images to you, they sent another film too...... why, because it wanted people to keep buying their box brownie cameras, and to keep people using their processing service, in order to achieve a monopoly on the market.

Apple has the second most used OS in the marketplace. When you have that responsibility, Tim Cook can say, stuff it, we're here to make money. You people who need certain features such as matte screens, you can go use Windows. We make enough money without you.

It comes down to whether there is a sense of responsibility, or whether it really is about getting the biggest pile of cash in corporate history.

No company has a sense of responsibility to you, they have a sense of responsibility to themselves to make you think they have a sense of responsibility to you, its in their interests to keep you buying their products, not because of the goodness of their hearts.

The reason why microsoft gives away computers to poor kids, because it sets a precedent of kids learning to use microsoft products, so when their older and either running businesses or applying for jobs, they will use microsoft systems..... Microsoft doesn't give out stuff because its nice, it gives out stuff to ensure its longetivety, and to look good to the public.

Lylyluvda916

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
Hate them? No but I am starting to see how software limitations are wearing Apple down.

I'm not taking so much as as to letting unauthorized apps in the market but rather their limitations in the apps or products they do have. My main example would be iCloud Drive. I want to sign up for the service but it doesn't support movies. Yes I'm aware that purchased movies are available in the cloud but if I'm ever going to be paying for a service such as iCloud Drive, I would like to upload whatever files I have.

Oli20

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2014
Mitten
I don't hate them, I think sometimes like a lot of people I expect to much. I have to admit the one thing that bugs me is that they have seemed to, for now, abandoned the :apple: TV. I probably use that more than anything else. While the ones I have work okay I just feel cheated somehow that we aren't making as much progress as I would like.

That being said I don't see another product that is equivalent to the Apple TV at this time so I guess they aren't in a hurry, but even if they would give us AC WiFi that would be a huge help.

hotpotato123

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
With a thread like this, there can be a surface-level analysis where you think the OP had a rant, and you respond urging the OP to take a more even-handed view.

I'll try to summarise.

In the past, Apple did in a sense deserve the sort of rock star treatment it got from its Apple fanboys. But, even when that has evaporated, people can forget and get into a habit of fanboyism, when those accolades are no longer warranted.

I think Apple is slowly transitioning to become a company where customers should treat Apple on the merits of its products, and no longer give it the adoration that is reserved for special things in life.

I am guilty of being a fanboy longer than most of you have used Apple products. My first brush with Apple products was in Steve's first incarnation, before his second coming.

Tim Cook, in a recent interview said that when he became CEO, it struck him that Apple users would keep on buying Apple products even if there was a cause for complaint.

What I am now arguing is that that should cease.

Apple has grown into a company that has cashed in those chips. It (Tim Cook) has realised that Apple customers will continue to buy, and so he has abused that trust.

In about 7 years time, Apple will be a like a litany of companies that are just another company. Seven years is a massive time frame in the tech industry. It's enough time for a titan to lose its gloss.

If you review the replies in this post, many people have urged me to have a more sane view of Apple, not to expect much from them, and to dump Apple if their products do not meet my needs. And ... I agree. I agree. I agree, because Apple should no longer be treated as special, because Apple no longer treats its customers as special.

If you happen to need certain products, and those are not mainstream, then Apple will dump you, so you should not hesitate to dump Apple.

I am arguing that the iconoclastic aura that Apple once had must cease. Indirectly, most of you have been urging me to such a viewpoint, to stop being a fanboy. So we are, after all, on the same page. We each agree that it is now time to treat Apple just as any the company.

We need to stop treating Apple as special.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
OP, I completely agree. My next laptop will probably be one of the 12" Airs that is rumors for early 2015, but rest assured I will be installing Windows on it immediately - and probably deleting OS X off of it. After the embarrassment Apple calls Mail.app, I don't think I ever want to use OS X again for anything even remotely important.

In which case, why even bother with an Apple Mac?

OS X is what makes a Mac. The hardware is largely generic internal parts, selected and installed in an Apple designed box. You could get a lot more bang for your buck by looking elsewhere if you intend to use a different OS.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
In which case, why even bother with an Apple Mac?

OS X is what makes a Mac. The hardware is largely generic internal parts, selected and installed in an Apple designed box. You could get a lot more bang for your buck by looking elsewhere if you intend to use a different OS.

Performance wise yes, but it's hard to find a laptop as well constructed as a unibody MBP, and buying used can result in some good deals. I don't regret buying a MBP even if I could have found a faster Windows laptop for the money. That said, I'm really thinking about looking at used ThinkPads when it comes time to replace this one.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
I hate Apple for deleting the tools I need for my trade.
Ditto. Although others claim my scanner manufacturer did break that, my opinion is that nothing forbade Apple to release their Rosetta as open-source if they really didn't want to invest resources in it any longer.

I hate Apple for deleting the matte or anti-glare screen. They kept it at least for the 15" MacBook Pro - but the removed any mention of it from their advertising material, and then had the temerity to say no one wanted anti-glare screens, and deleted the last remaining 15" option.

With a pile of cash so disgustingly large, can't Apple just offer an anti-glare option for one lousing model?
I, too, deeply regret not having bought the antiglare 15" when I had the money for it, as I thought the 13" would meet my needs. It does, but often I find the screen too small.

What about offering the 17" screen for those professionals who need it?

Why can't Apple settle for less cash and meet the needs of professionals and business people?

So by forcing me off the iMac because of a lack of matte screen, the option was for me to use the Mac Mini with 3rd party matte screen - but now Apple solders in the RAM and hard drive, and removes the quad core option - so if I use an external matte screen, I have to settle for a really dumbed down Mac Mini.

For all the years I've used Macs, I have always updated the RAM and even hard drives.

I hate Apple for removing features from software we need -- and only when there's a public outcry of re-inserting the features. But what if people need certain features, but there were not enough numbers to force Apple's hand?

[…]Sure they can argue they needed to make the Air thinner, but that argument does not apply to soldering in the RAM in the Mac Mini. The Mini does not need to be thinner.
Because typically people don't send any feedback to the company when they find what they want? Sure thing you could use the link in my signature to send them feedback, as I just did saying I finally wouldn't be buying a Mini to replace my dad's computer, but instead would settle on a hackintosh.
Removing the "save as" in Lion.
Agreed. "Duplicate" makes sense when using the Finder and you want a copy of the file, not so much when you just want to make sure your work is saved. "Duplicating" a file you're already editing? Wait, am I going to duplicate the edited file? Where is my original one? I guess you get the point.

Removing the ability in Calendar to stipulate the time to postpone the item. Who is the idiot at Apple who forced us to postpone an item only around 15 minutes. Why remove the ability to postpone it for a range of selected time periods. Sure, because of the outcry, they brought it back in Mavericks, but I didn't upgrade to Mavericks because Apple totally stuffed up Apple Mail for IMAP, at least in the initial dot iterations, and I so reply on IMAP that I can't take the risk. If you read reports by Mail app designers, it's the inner workings of Mavericks Mail that are the reason for them messing with IMAP. It worked beautifully in Mountain Lion, and then they stuffer it up in Mavericks.
Have you beta-tested Yosemite? Because I haven't seen major problems with its Mail version, except that the spam filter is still junk.

Look, people, a company like Apple does not get the largest stash of cash in corporate history by thinking first of the customer's needs. They do so by thinking of every strategy to make money. I don't begrudge them that since most corporations are ruthless. But I think it means my former love for Apple has been misplaced. I should just see Apple computers as a tool, that should be dumped if something better comes along, and feel no sadness when Apple gets consigned to the scrapheap of history like every company that had its day.

I hate Apple now because many years ago, I feel in love with a company that did do the above, but somehow the company soured into a Wall Street profit-pleaser, and no longer cares about the people who bought into the dream of thinking different.
In an ideal and fictive market where competition rules, then corporations would be forced to cater to customer's needs in order to stay afloat. But the computer industry isn't such a market. While Apple under Steve did "think outside the box", under Tim it all went back into it.

3. Buy an anti-glare foil?
4. A 17" laptop? For writing? ...
Hmm, apparently you never used one of these anti-glare foils. They tend to heavily distort the image, and add unwanted moiré to the picture. Putting it at manufacturing time is always the best. And what's so special about wanting a 17" to write? Reading a document on one side, typing on the other?

Agreed. Said that, I would like if Apple would stop dumbing down the Macs. And if Apple provided a decent iWork suite, adding new features, instead of removing features and redesigning its interface every year.
Ditto. Even if I'm not too found of adding new features when current ones are not stabilized.

4. It also somewhat defeats the purpose of a laptop
What if he doesn't move every hour?
5. Email has become increasingly disfinctional in general over the last decade or so
Would you care to elaborate? I don't quite get your point.
6. Google calendar?
Handing over so much of your personal data to a NSA contractor. Brilliant.

More constructive answer: I'd opt for a Baïkal install on a shared server, but then again iCal doesn't always play nice with those, and developers of the server probably won't be trying to troubleshoot an error stemming from a client.

In case you haven't noticed, there's no real competition in the tech market. Either buy a PC and still pay the Windows tax, or buy a Mac ecosystem and settle with dumbed-down software.

Ubuntu is very similar to OSX and will run on anything- I use both.
Many important software simply don't run on Ubuntu. If you have an iPhone, you're stuck. If you need FileMaker compatibility, stuck. Android? Stuck. And Ubuntu also suffers from the same kind of commodification as OS X.

You can also build a machine capable of running OS X that isn't apple hardware....
On a laptop? Good luck with that.

I perfectly understand the OP's point, that iOS-ification of OS X and commodification of hardware has done more bad than good to it. There's no point in attempting to merge two fundamentally different usage models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.