Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jruzz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2014
HELP! My hard drives keeps ejecting...

- My HDs are LaCie and G-tech since these are good hard drives and they are both ejecting I dont think they are the problem
- It keeps ejecting in both of my old iMac and new iMac (3 weeks old) so I think its not the computer.
- Ive tried it in both mavericks and yosemite and still same
- both connected via USB

What could be the reason for this? You think this is a power failure? Or is it the files inside the hard drives making this issue? Note: They are main and time machine drives so they both have same files.

Hope someone can help.
thanks!

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
HELP! My hard drives keeps ejecting...

- My HDs are LaCie and G-tech since these are good hard drives and they are both ejecting I dont think they are the problem
- It keeps ejecting in both of my old iMac and new iMac (3 weeks old) so I think its not the computer.
- Ive tried it in both mavericks and yosemite and still same
- both connected via USB

What could be the reason for this? You think this is a power failure? Or is it the files inside the hard drives making this issue? Note: They are main and time machine drives so they both have same files.

Hope someone can help.
thanks!

I have a lacie drive with the same problem. Every few days I log in and I see the improper ejection message. It happens randomly and it happens a lot. It happened so much I ended up disconnecting the drive. if you ever figure out why id love to hear about it.

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
This problem with random ejections seems to have started way back when 10.8.5 was released and it's never been fixed :/

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
Unfortunately, the solution is to not use USB 3 if you need reliable I/O. This is not an OSX issue, its an issue in WinWorld as well.

I just received my 5th USB 3 enclosure. Haven't put a drive in it yet (the USPS appears to have lost it). Hoping this one will at least mount reliably, or show up in DU so I can mount it. The other 4 were either borrowed or returned.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
About 2 months ago my LaCie 2Big 6TB suddenly started the eject problem. Both drives tested just fine. LaCie replaced the set under warranty and I have not had the problem since with Mavericks or Yosemite.

Jruzz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2014
Its all good now guys. Its not the problem of HD or the computer. Its actually the OS. I don't know that exact thing but I fresh installed my OS and my drives are properly working now.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.