Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ayezee33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2014
First post, I tried using the search feature but was unsuccessful. I have a MacBook Air and am running one of the current OS (not exactly sure at the moment).

I had Notepad++ ported over and working great....until I updated it.

Here is the issue, I cannot for the life of me figure out a way to have a text editor show my HTML output in the browser (tried many browsers). I have tried inserting the scripts for Text Wrangler, Sublime, and even uninstalled and reinstalled Notepad++.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction so I can get back into web design?

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
First post...
Welcome!

Try TextWrangler it's free and pretty powerful.

Port is an excellent type ( especially non tawny ) of wine, but a poor choice for a workflow. (best attempt at humor).

If the file is on your desktop, just cmd+click it -> open with Safari.

I'd recommend Coda2 if you are 'getting back into web design'.

...running one of the current OS...
Mavericks? Yosemite?

Last edited:

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Here is the issue, I cannot for the life of me figure out a way to have a text editor show my HTML output in the browser (tried many browsers). I have tried inserting the scripts for Text Wrangler, Sublime, and even uninstalled and reinstalled Notepad++.

If you're looking for free options:

Currently, I'm using Netbeans - it can be a bit of a resource hog, but has good HTML5/CSS/Javascript/PHP support and will preview in your browser of choice, and even do a certain amount of live CSS editing.

If you're primarily into HTML5/CSS, Brackets (http://brackets.io) may be worth a look.

olup

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2011
Tons of people use Sublime Text2/3, neither are "free" you get a pop up every now and then asking you to purchase it, but it has tons of options and new on the market is https://atom.io/, which I only tried out shortly.

jakeOSX

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2005
so to throw in a name, i use Espresso by Mac Rabbit.

it is an HTML and CSS editor (includes their previous app CSS edit, which was great) and I have found it fantastic for use.

I do still use TextWrangler in my workflow, it too is invaluable.

Flood123

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Living Stateside
olup is correct. Sublime text 2 is awesome.. Evaluation mode is free. Atom is great too but since i have developed my workflow with sublime, i am pretty happy.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
I use Sublime Text 2 and codekit 2 for my sass compiling.

Haven't switched to sublime text 3 yet because some of the Wordpress function packages don't work on it and I don't enjoy scoping the codex for funsies.

olup

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2011
I used to use Espresso, but now use Chocolat.

How much is it? just went on their website to check and it doesn't even tell you the price. If I recall correctly it once said something like 39 or 49 bucks.

On the other hand seeing a different font other than monospace seems quite tempting

JoelTheSuperior

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2014
I primarily use Atom for web development, but if you're solely working with things like HTML and CSS I'd actually suggest you try Brackets - it's free and is actually a very good editor.

SteveyAppleSeed

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2010
Sublime is the easy choice

Sublime Text 3 with the Emmet plugin is fantastic. Emmet allows short form code writing and expansion. ST3 has code autocomplete to make you happy. Highly extensible and the community is awesome. Seems pretty lightweight.

olup

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2011
Sublime Text 3 with the Emmet plugin is fantastic. Emmet allows short form code writing and expansion. ST3 has code autocomplete to make you happy. Highly extensible and the community is awesome. Seems pretty lightweight.

That also runs in Sublime Text 2, but for some reason SB2 keeps crashing when I install more than two- three packages. Is SB3 more stable in that regard?

Jaduffy

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2014
Personal choice but

As others have mentioned, Sublime text 3 (beta) is an industry standard for power users. Emmet and other packages make it very powerful. If I were coding a basic website, I think coda 2 would be a good choice too. For building apps etc, I prefer sublime text. Be sure and use zsh with oh my zsh installed instead of bash for Terminal too.

in the end, it's just a tool.

jonobin

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
+1 for brackets, very happy with it!

and there are a lot(and growing) extensions to do whatever you want, plus is free and multiplatform :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.