Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With OS X Yosemite, Apple has included a number of Continuity features that improve the integration between iOS and Mac devices. OS X Yosemite includes a feature called Instant Hotspot which allows users to more easily use their iPhone's wireless cellular data connection from their Mac or iPad.

instanthotspot.jpg

With Instant Hotspot, there is no longer a need to enter a password to connect as security is handled through a common iCloud account. An iPhone can even be in sleep mode and allow your Mac to initiate Instant Hotspot, with no additional settings needing to be enabled aside from Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

Before you Start

You need iOS 8.1 and OS X Yosemite in order to use Instant Hotspot. You also need to ensure that your data plan with your wireless carrier allows for internet hotspot capabilities. In the United States, AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile, allow phones to be used as hotspots with select data plans. Sprint offers mobile hotspot capabilities with a monthly add-on plan.

Also, make sure both your Mac and iPhone are logged into the same iCloud account, and check that your Mac supports Instant Hotspot. This can be done by clicking the  symbol in the top left-hand side of the Menu bar, navigating to About This Mac, clicking on System Report and clicking on the Bluetooth listing. You should see information about whether your system is compatible with Instant Hotspot and Handoff.

instanthotspot1.jpg

After you ensure that you have a compatible Mac and data plan, follow the instructions below to turn on Instant Hotspot:

Steps

1. Turn on Wi-Fi on your iPhone (Settings -> Wi-Fi) and Mac (Menu Bar ->
wifi.png
-> Turn Wi-Fi On.

2. Turn on Bluetooth on your iPhone (Settings -> Bluetooth) and Mac (Menu Bar -> Apple -> System Preferences -> Bluetooth -> Turn Bluetooth On).

wifi.jpg

3. On your Mac, click the Wi-Fi symbol
wifi.png
in the menu bar. A new "Personal Hotspot" heading now appears near the top, and will be followed by the name of your iPhone. On the right side of your iPhone's name, signal strength, network type, and available battery life are displayed. Click on your device's name to begin using it as an Instant Hotspot for your Mac.

personalhotspot5.jpg

4. You may now begin using the Internet on your Mac with your iPhone acting as an Instant Hotspot. On the Mac, the Instant Hotspot connection between both devices is represented by a special icon that shows a link over the traditional Wi-Fi symbol. On the iPhone, the connection is represented by a blinking blue bar that shows that a Personal Hotspot is active.

When a tethered Mac or iPad switches to a Wi-Fi connection or is no longer connected to an iPhone, Instant Hotspot automatically turns off. This feature is designed to save battery on the iPhone, because tethering can use a significant amount of battery life.

Troubleshooting

While we had few issues with Instant Hotspot, several members of our forum have had more inconsistent results. Several people have had to try logging out and back into iCloud on their devices, turning Wi-Fi off and then back on, or even rebooting their devices. These steps may help if you are having trouble turning using Instant Hotspot.

Article Link: How to Use 'Instant Hotspot' On a Mac with OS X Yosemite

Last edited:

rolsskk

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2008
Well this is just stupid and pointless if I have to pay extra just to use this feature with my carrier. If it eats up my bandwidth, so be it because that is my decision, but it should not cost extra to use it.

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
It just works

Tested extensively with iPhone 6, iPad Air Cellular (both iOS 8.1) and MacBook Pro Retina (2012, Yosemite). Tried all combinations. Both hotspots showing up on the Mac:

persoenliche-hotspotsmbpr-ip6-ipdairkl.png

Single hotspots are showing up on iPhone and iPad. Works pretty well. You can instantly choose from three providers (ISPs) on your Mac (kind of Apple SIM). When there should be hiccups: Turn off/on bluetooth (on iDevices; works mostly). Turn off/on WLAN. Doesn't work (naturally) when airplane mode is active or when mobile data is switched off.

Last edited:

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I've used my iPhone to get my iMac online a couple of times when my DSL was out so this will make thing way easier in the future... just can't do much or I'll be paying excess charges.

michelg1970

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2011
The Hague - The Netherlands
iPhone 6 Plus on iOS 8.1
rMBP Late 2013 on OS X 10.10

Both handoff enabled, both logged into same iCloud account, both have bluetooth and wifi on.

Did all the resets I have found on this forum and on the internet, logged out and in into iCloud on both devices, turned off and on wifi etc, in all various sequences.

- SMS Relay is working (now)
- Calls from rMBP are working
- Continuity (picking up safari e.g. on the other device) is working

BUT, WHY ON EARTH CAN'T I GET Instant Hotspot working?

My rMBP sees my iPhone in the wifi network list but every single time I get the message:

" Failed to enable Personal Hotspot on "Michel's iPhone 6 Plus" Check to see if the tethering device is turned on and in range of your computer "

Could anyone be so kind to tell me what I am missing???

PS Tried from my iPad Air to my iPhone and it worked immediately. rMBP not though...

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
how to run out of cellular bandwidth on a mac with OS X Yosemite

It can be frustrating. For the rare times I use the hotspot feature on my phone to check something on my MBAir, I just open iTunes and BOOM, it syncs everything and my data is all consumed in a matter of minutes.

Shouldn't those things, somehow, not be automated while using a mobile hotspot? That would be great.

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2013
seriously, needing to pay the carrier to allow hot spots is something totally unheard of in europe...

I don´t understand why the carrier would charge extra for data used in safari on your mac vs. data used in safari on your phone.

It´s the same data.

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012
Well this is just stupid and pointless if I have to pay extra just to use this feature with my carrier. If it eats up my bandwidth, so be it because that is my decision, but it should not cost extra to use it.

A lot of carriers don't charge for tethering, vote with your wallet...

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
I think a necessary step is missing from this guide.

On iPhone: Settings > Personal Hotspot > On

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Verizon –> iPhone 6 Plus –> 2011 MacBook Air worked great for me! I just changed my plan to "More Everything" which apparently now includes mobile hotspot with no additional charges, so it's something I will definitely use. Was stranded at a hotel a few months ago with unusable wifi, now that won't happen again. Connection seemed about as responsive as my home wifi.

Just have to keep an eye on those data caps. Would be nice if there was an option to automatically warn or shut down the hotspot when your data gets to x% of your plan limit.

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
not live in sovjet USA where you get shafted by the cell carriers...

seriously, needing to pay the carrier to allow hot spots is something totally unheard of in europe...

Welcome to 'Merica, the land of liberals, infinite taxes, and idiocracy. If I have a 4GB data plan, then I should not have to pay extra to use it for a hotspot.

EDIT: After trying what was stated in the above article, I got it to work when trying the "Troubleshooting" tips. I first connected to the same WiFi network, turned on Bluetooth, then I signed out of iCloud on both my iPhone and my MBP. Then I restarted each device, and then signed back into iCloud and it "just work[ed]." If you click on the WiFi icon in the menu bar and don't see it at first, wait a few seconds and it will appear (If everything else is done correctly).

Screen Shot 2014-10-23 at 06.50.44.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.