Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
it doesn't really need one although it would be nice. I think it would be cool if on the ipad and u swipe up control center, it had the calculator button and when u press it a little 4 inch calculator pops up in the corner of the screen so you could use it while looking at the webpage or whatever else your using.

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio
While MaxiCalc quite good, I often use calculator for scientific function. What I really want is an advanced scientific calculator like this, with natural equation input (like VPAM in Casio Calculators)

Well okay that may be going to be expensive but I would gladly pay for this app. Do you have suggestion in mind?

Like this?

http://education.ti.com/en/us/products/apps/ti-nspire-cas-app-for-ipad/tabs/overview

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
It should have a calculator, but it should be an overlay. For example, if you could access it from control center, and have it overlay so that you can still see the app you're using. It's not nearly as useful if you have to leave the app you're in in order to use it, as you might need to reference the numbers from the original app.

Why a 10 megapixel camera on the front for Facetime/Skype isn't ideal--and screw the camera in the back--is beyond me.

You want a 10 MP camera for Facetime/Skype?

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
Not sure what you mean by this?

I used the iPad last night to research mortgage rates and view homes that I was interested in purchasing because I'd rather do this on an iPad than a tiny iPhone.

I needed to use my iPhone's calculator to determine my mortgage payments and tax which is pretty ridiculous that I couldn't just do it on the iPad without downloading a calculator app.

How can they expect the iPad to replace textbooks if you can't do simple math on it for math class?

While I agree with you about the calculator app, for this specific use case, you could have opened up Numbers and created a new Mortgage calculator from an excellent default template included in the app. I did the exact same thing 3 years ago with my iPad 2 - didn't actually have to calculate anything myself manually, just enter the total price and down payment and you're good to go, even calculates post tax, you just input the rate - no work required on your part :)

For what it is worth, I use an app called Calculator Pro for iPad on my rMini. It is basically a clone of the native iPhone app for iPad.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
There is a new version of the app available for free. I think this is the best calculator in the store. Many have poor graphics on todays iPads.

Indeed! I saw that last week and replaced it with the new version, quite like the new default theme, mimicking the flat iOS 7 look.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Yeah, it's odd since the iPhone does have one built-in. There is also no default weather app on the iPad either.
The free Yahoo weather app is way better.

I needed to use my iPhone's calculator to determine my mortgage payments and tax which is pretty ridiculous that I couldn't just do it on the iPad without downloading a calculator app.
Is it really that hard to download a free calculator app?

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Is it really that hard to download a free calculator app?

No, it's not hard but that's not the issue some people are having. The utility apps that come built-in on the iPhone and iPad work with the control center. So it's easy to swipe up and use them. Installing 3rd party apps will not allow this. It would be great in iOS8 if Apple allows us to launch 3rd party apps from the control center.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
No, it's not hard but that's not the issue some people are having. The utility apps that come built-in on the iPhone and iPad work with the control center. So it's easy to swipe up and use them. Installing 3rd party apps will not allow this. It would be great in iOS8 if Apple allows us to launch 3rd party apps from the control center.

Currently CC only has space for two utility apps. Even if the iPad had a built in Calculator there is no guarantee that there would be a link to it in CC.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Currently CC only has space for two utility apps. Even if the iPad had a built in Calculator there is no guarantee that there would be a link to it in CC.

You do realize that Apple can easily design control center on iPad the same way as on the iPhone? Control Center on the iPhone has a UI that covers most of the screen. It's just as easy for Apple to make it on the iPad the same in order to fit more apps, and they really should do this.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
You do realize that Apple can easily design control center on iPad the same way as on the iPhone? Control Center on the iPhone has a UI that covers most of the screen. It's just as easy for Apple to make it on the iPad the same in order to fit more apps, and they really should do this.

There are many things that Apple should do that they haven't done, customizable buttons in CC for example. As of right now there is no calculator app, and no space in CC for a third utility button even if it were part of the OS.

Now even if iOS7 had a calculator app, there are still only two buttons in CC. You wouldn't be able to change Camera or Clock to Calculator so it wouldn't be any different from downloading a free app.

So just download a free app.

Last edited:

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
As of right now there is no calculator app, and no space in CC for a third utility button even if it were part of the OS.

Now even if iOS7 had a calculator app, there are still only two buttons in CC. You wouldn't be able to change Camera or Clock to Calculator so it wouldn't be any different from downloading a free app.

So just download a free app.

Now I'm begging to see what people mean when they say there are people here backing up every single one of Apple's ridiculous decisions and telling others to find a solution because the way Apple made it there's no room for improvement.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Now I'm begging to see what people mean when they say there are people here backing up every single one of Apple's ridiculous decisions and telling others to find a solution because the way Apple made it there's no room for improvement.

Nonsense. I'm telling you to download a calculator app because right now there is no alternative. Ideally CC would have space for several app buttons and those buttons would be customizable. But that's not how it is right now.

Right now there is no built in app and no space for a CC button to access it so your solution is to download an app which, due to there not being space for a third button, would act exactly like a built in app.

All you can do is wait for OS8 and hope things change for the better, but if it makes you feel better to not download a calculator app just because Apple should have included one with a link in CC, which I agree with BTW, you go right ahead and feel like a martyr.

Cheers.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Nonsense. I'm telling you to download a calculator app because right now there is no alternative. Ideally CC would have space for several app buttons and those buttons would be customizable. But that's not how it is right now.

Right now there is no built in app and no space for a CC button to access it so your solution is to download an app which, due to there not being space for a third button, would act exactly like a built in app.

All you can do is wait for OS8 and hope things change for the better, but if it makes you feel better to not download a calculator app just because Apple should have included one with a link in CC, which I agree with BTW, you go right ahead and feel like a martyr.

Cheers.

Uh, you must've been reading someone else's post because I can't find anywhere that I stated that I refuse to download a calculator app, nor did I give off that impression. I use my iPad for work purposes so I already did that, along with a a weather app and stocks, all of which come built-in on the iPhone. I was agreeing with people here that those items should've come built-in with the iPad, therefore Control Center would have access to them. If you need help though, I can find the address to your nearest optometrist. ;)

ipadlvr

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
Why can't iPad Air 2 handle Apple's Calculator App?

Will they add the calculator when they get 3GB of ram?

I don't want some 3rd party calculator with ads at the bottom.

ipadlvr

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
There are actually several free ones that don't have ads. Have you looked?

Yes. I have one of those in my wife's Mini. It is a very jarring experience to go from iOS 7 to these calculator apps. Most of them look like they're stuck on iOS 5.

It is very simple. Apple should just put it in. End of story. It shouldn't be this complicated.

I have this one for the wife

Calculator (3 in 1) by PPCLINK

mzl.jvmcryoa.png

That's the best free no ads just works calculator I have found so far.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.