Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gatriel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2014
Hey All -

A while ago I grabbed a PowerMac G5 to use as my media server, which I used in conjunction with my iTV -- and it worked great -- until I updated my Apple TV, and getting anything to stream at this point is a waste of time and effort.

From what I am reading, the new iTV update and Leopard no longer play well together. :-/ Oh well, stupid Apple -- their antics as of late are very reminiscent of Windows ca., Windows ME time.

That being said, instead of replacing my PowerMac with an older MacPro -- I am kinda thinking about grabbing an el-cheapo PCIE HDMI graphics card that outputs Audio, but am wondering which card would do this, and would work with Leopard at this point in time?

I only use this thing for serving video, and plan on using it until it literally drops dead and I can no longer source parts, or I can get a MacPro for less than 100€.

What cards can you guys recommend to me? Thanks!

Last edited:

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Hey All -

A while ago I grabbed a PowerMac G5 to use as my media server, which I used in conjunction with my iTV -- and it worked great -- until I updated my Apple TV, and getting anything to stream at this point is a waste of time and effort.

From what I am reading, the new iTV update and Leopard no longer play well together. :-/ Oh well, stupid Apple -- their antics as of late are very reminiscent of Windows ca., Windows ME time.

That being said, instead of replacing my PowerMac with an older MacPro -- I am kinda thinking about grabbing an el-cheapo PCIE HDMI graphics card that outputs Audio, but am wondering which card would do this, and would work with Leopard at this point in time?

I only use this thing for serving video, and plan on using it until it literally drops dead and I can no longer source parts, or I can get a MacPro for less than 100€.

What cards can you guys recommend to me? Thanks!

Did you update iTunes to 10.6.3? I would assume that you did, but from what I can tell, that's still the minimum OS requirement to be able to stream media from your PM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.