Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Donka

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Has anyone found any high street stores stocking the new smart cases for iPad Air 2? I'm thinking the likes of Currys, Argos or similar? Needing to pick one up for the Air which arrives tomorrow.

TorontoSS

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Has anyone found any high street stores stocking the new smart cases for iPad Air 2? I'm thinking the likes of Currys, Argos or similar? Needing to pick one up for the Air which arrives tomorrow.

I work in Canary Wharf. No new covers around here at Currys or at the waitrose (basically a john Lewis with a grocery store here) or Carphone warehouse etc. I would suggest the Apple Store - easiest bet.

ajackuk

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014
Visited Covent Garden and Regent Street branches this evening and they had not had any stock of these yet, and had no idea really when they would be in.

"might be tomorrow or day after" was the sort of answer I got.

Donka

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I managed to pick one up today from the Braehead store. I phoned before going through and was told they had them and could sell them. When I went through, I was told they had them in stock but couldn't sell any until tomorrow. When I told the guy I had phoned earlier, they agreed to sell one. They had all colours in stock. I got the black one but the midnight blue case was nice too, darker than it appears online.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
Visited Covent Garden and Regent Street branches this evening and they had not had any stock of these yet, and had no idea really when they would be in.

"might be tomorrow or day after" was the sort of answer I got.
Think you might have asked the wrong person. I bought a midnight blue leather Smart case from the Covent Garden store at 5pm this evening, and they had LOADS of every colour smart case and cover - guy brought out a boxful.

ajackuk

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014
Bum!

Will try tomorrow, I was in about 6pm too!

Does the box say ipad 2 air, in some clear to see way?
The ones on shelves just said ipad air

Think you might have asked the wrong person. I bought a midnight blue leather Smart case from the Covent Garden store at 5pm this evening, and they had LOADS of every colour smart case and cover - guy brought out a boxful.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
Bum!

Will try tomorrow, I was in about 6pm too!

Does the box say ipad 2 air, in some clear to see way?
The ones on shelves just said ipad air

No, and that was confusing them - it just says iPad air on it. If you're after the leather, ask for the colour by its specific name - their handheld thingies could cope with that. A bit chaotic yesterday, to say the least - people were very confused, and one blue-shirt was shocked that I even had an air 2 at all.

ajackuk

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014
So.......... how do you know you have got the Air 2 one, rather than orig Air, if there is nothing on packaging to show it is for the Air 2???

Donka

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Scotland
So.......... how do you know you have got the Air 2 one, rather than orig Air, if there is nothing on packaging to show it is for the Air 2???

If it isn't one of the new colours then you would need to open it up and check it doesn't have the cutout for the mute toggle.
I'll check my packaging tonight for the model number.

fifi77

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
London
The picture of the iPad on the back of the packaging for the Air is black.

The picture of the iPad on the back of the packaging for the Air 2 is midnight blue.

Also, if you turn the packaging over and look at the sticker in the bottom right corner, it should say iPad Air 2.

Other than that, the front is completely identical. There are going to be a hell of a lot of confused people out there buying the wrong case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.