Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

treehorn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
I've been purchasing JVC/Taiyo Rudin DVD-Rs from the same source for years without a problem (an Amazon vendor that has never had a history of bad reviews). I just opened a batch, though that is...questionable to say the least.

First of all, the top disc was odd...it was thinner and it was silver instead of hub printable white like it was supposed to be. It took me a while but I finally realized that the disc had separated - the white printable layer had separated from the burnable layer and was stuck to the protective plastic top of the pack.

In looking at the discs closely, I noticed that the printing on the hub is completely unreadable as it has been crossed out by a series of Xs going around the inner hub.

And in comparing them to the last of another pack of JVC discs, I notice that if I flip over the disc, the inner rim is silver on the questionable discs instead of white like on the other JVC packs.

In opening the other pack that came with the questionable discs, the printing isn't crossed out and says JVC (not that that's a solid indication...) but the rim is silver.

I used to have a program that allowed me to look at a blank disc and check out it's origin but I think that went by the way of Classic MacOS and I can't find anything else that works on a Mac.

Am I correct in wondering about the authenticity of the discs? I really don't want to use them in burning things for clients if they have potential to go bad rapidly...

mcpix

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2005
About 5 or 6 years ago when Taiyo Yuden was starting to become popular there were some stories about fake DVDs from China. I read that they even copied the manufacturer code on the discs. I have always bought my Taiyo Yuden media from supermediastore.com and I have never had a problem.

treehorn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
yeah I just placed an order with them. I just looked at Amazon and noticed that they pulled a bit of a fast one on me...switched the company I ordered from to one I didn't recognize...

I had been ordering from Supermedia and from this other company depending on who had the lower prices at the moment I needed them. I think that's about to stop...

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
yeah I just placed an order with them. I just looked at Amazon and noticed that they pulled a bit of a fast one on me...switched the company I ordered from to one I didn't recognize...

I had been ordering from Supermedia and from this other company depending on who had the lower prices at the moment I needed them. I think that's about to stop...

My go-to source for Taiyo Yuden and subsequent JVC discs has always been TapeOnline.com. I've purchased thousands of DVDs from them over the years and I honestly can't remember any problems.

When TY changed their name to JVC... TapeOnline made the following page to inform their customers:

http://www.tapeonline.com/info/taiyo-yuden-name-change-to-jvc

Stores like TapeOnline and SuperMediaStore seem to be very careful about where they get their stock from... whereas Amazon can switch suppliers without you knowing.

treehorn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
This is the second potential counterfeit product from a 'reputable' Amazon vendor this year (after never having problems before) so it looks like they are becoming as dubious as Ebay (worse actually, since they have supposedly vetted vendors)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.