Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SweetDove

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
ETA:
Iphone 6, Gold, Verizon, 16GB IOS 8.0.2

Sorry I know this sounds odd, let me explain.

When in a call, if you put the phone near your face it goes dark. When you move it away, it lights up - so you can end the call, go to your home screen, whatever.

Mine doesn't.

Sometimes it'll work but if a call is longer than like, 5 minutes, it'll just stay black when I pull it away. Even if I hit home, or lock or volume it wont light up until the other person hangs up.

I got apple to send me a box to replace the phone, but I'll be without a phone for two days, and so I'm not sure it's worth it.

I wanted to check if this was a common problem, or if it's normal before sending my phone away.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
ETA:

When in a call, if you put the phone near your face it goes dark. When you move it away, it lights up - so you can end the call, go to your home screen, whatever.

Mine doesn't.

Sometimes it'll work but if a call is longer than like, 5 minutes, it'll just stay black when I pull it away. Even if I hit home, or lock or volume it wont light up until the other person hangs up.

I got apple to send me a box to replace the phone, but I'll be without a phone for two days, and so I'm not sure it's worth it.

I wanted to check if this was a common problem, or if it's normal before sending my phone away.

I dont know how common it is but its not working right, I would replace it if it was me

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
ETA:

Mine doesn't.

Just a thought, but it might be worth a reset. If the proximity sensor hardware was bad, I would think it wouldn't work at all. If it turns the screen off when you put it to your ear always, and sometimes turns it back on when you pull it away, sounds more likely to be software than hardware.

Did you try a reset or set up as new?

SweetDove

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
I haven't tried a reset/restore yet. I was kinda waiting to see what the jailbreak was up to (which it looks like 8.1 update is recommended).

Should I go ahead and update to 8.1 and see if it resolves the issue? and, when I do (if I do?) update, should I do it as set up as new?

it's a very off-and-on issue that I have trouble replicating. It turns on and off from the lock screen just fine, and works normally usually, it just seems if I'm in a long call it doesn't light back up again.

It makes it hard when I'm on support lines since they can't hang up on me, and even holding the power button won't bring up a restart option/turn the phone off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.