Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timsaxman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2013
I have a late 2013 13" rMBP with OS X 10.9.2 and the past two weeks it has been acting strangely. Often, it doesn't sleep although I close my lid. And it isn't because I put it in a bag or something just after closing it. This morning I woke up and opened it to see that it was at 45 % (closed it at 100 %) and it wasn't as cool as it is when it has slept for a while (it stands close to a window so the aluminum gets quite cold at night). And at first it showed 100 % while coconutBattery showed 45 %. This doesn't happen every time I close the lid, just sometimes.

Anyone have any experience or know how to fix this? I don't have any new apps running or something that could have caused this.

Last edited:

barnettgs

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2006
Northern Ireland
I had this similar problem recently on MBP 2007, it might have to do with Energy Saver in System Preferences and click Restore Defaults if it had been changed before.

timsaxman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2013
I haven't touched the settings in months, but I restored to default and also I did a SMC-reset but this morning the same thing happened. About 50 % battery had been drained over night, it "woke from sleep" faster (obviously since it was already on) than usual and wasn't as cold as it uses to be...

Anything else I can do? Is there a way to see what apps might prevent it from sleeping (which I've heard should only be those specifically made for that purpose and I don't have anything like that installed)?

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
This is why I always shut down my Macs at night and don't trust it to enter sleep mode, even when I press 'Sleep' in the  menu before shutting the lid.

PS PowerNap's disabled as well and the bug still occurs occasionally.

So I just completely shut it down. Besides, it only takes around 8 seconds to start up.

barnettgs

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2006
Northern Ireland
Nope, only safari.
Ok if there is any program that are running, try closing them first before going to sleep and see if it solves the issue.

Also have a look at the startup programs under Login Items on Users & Group in System Preferences, if any are there, just disable them and restart first before going to sleep.

timsaxman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2013
The apps that are running when I close the lid are, besides like Mail and iMessage, Spotify, Safari, Skype, Dropbox and Google Drive. And I've always had these apps running since I got it and part of the reason why I got a Mac is because of how good it is at sleeping, and waking up just where you left it. I use uTorrent but haven't had it on for a while. Yesterday, I even pressed the sleep button in the menu bar and after that I closed the lid (with 17 % battery left) woke up to a shut down computer which prompted me to plug in my charger to be able to start it.

Since it, what I understand for now, happens so random it's hard to take it to a Apple Store and try to recreate the problem to show it for them, especially since it's most noticeable after a couple of hours since the battery loss is visible then :/

Last edited:

barnettgs

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2006
Northern Ireland
Something must be running in the background that kept it from going to sleep. I had a similar issue with Firefox in the Snow Leopard.

Just a matter of finding out which app that is causing the problem and then find a solution to rectify the sleeping issue or update the app if there is any.

Barney63

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Bolton, UK.
See if uTorrent is still running, I think by default it allows others to download programs that you have downloaded.
Force quit it.

Barney

timsaxman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2013
See if uTorrent is still running, I think by default it allows others to download programs that you have downloaded.
Force quit it.

Barney

It's not.

I tried one thing where I had Spotify playing music and then I put it to sleep. The music stopped but several hours later the battery was drained and I had to plug in the charger to start it again. It's a shame to be wasting battery cycles for nothing and also I want the sleep function to function in the way it's meant...

timsaxman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2013
It's like it enters sleep mode since playback and things stop but the battery is still drained I return. And it makes no difference wether I press the sleep button in the menu, close the lid or let it be until the time set in my energy saving preferensens puts it to sleep, always the same problem.

Last edited:

timsaxman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2013
Okey somethings definitely wrong. Yesterday I set the energy saving settings to default and turned of all the apps that start on boot. This is what happened:

I charged it to 100 %. Started activity monitor to see that the only (under the energy tab) apps running were spotlight, finder, itunes helper and the activity monitor itself. I turned off the activity monitor and then I closed the lid. This morning I opened it and the icon in the menu bar showed 99 % but when going into energy saving preferences it showed 65 % and when I started coconutBattery it too showed 65 %.

So what is happening is that I close the lid, battery keeps draining and when opening it the battery icon shows what's expected but it's the wrong value.

Should I turn it in? Will it cost a lot to repair? (it's under warranty atm)

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
Take it in to Apple and see what they say. It shouldn't cost you anything if still under warranty assuming there is no liquid damage or anything.

timsaxman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2013
I haven't had time to take it to Apple since I need my computer. I've tested turning everything off and tried to turn off apps one by one to see if any apps are causing this but no progress... The other night I thought, since it doesn't go to sleep, I can leave uTorrent on over the night so I did and shut the lid. This morning when I opened again ~60 % battery was drained but the torrent hadn't been downloading. It's like the OS goes to sleep but the battery keeps draining. I don't have any backup on and I don't use powernap.

I've ordered an external harddrive and I'm going to save my files there and then do a full restore on the computer to see if it helps.

Last edited:

timsaxman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2013
Okey, I got an external harddrive and backed it up using Time Machine. Then I booted in recovery mode and chose to install OS X (which I, as a previous Windows user, thought would reinstall the whole partition leaving it as a new Mac) and apparently only the OS reinstalled and all my apps were still there. Nevertheless, this "solved" the problem since it haven't occurred since which concludes that none of the apps installed by me were causing it or running. It's strange but my battery isn't drained unnecessarily so I'm happy!

marddin

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
I have the original 15" rMBP and had the same issue of my laptop not going to sleep when lid closed. Took it to the apple store and they diagnosed it as a magnet issue. There is a magnet on the top keyboard case that is used to trigger your laptop to sleep. They replaced my top case, covered by applecare, problem resolved.

reszelo22

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2017
I have a solution for this, I just figured it out as nowadays I experienced the same problem with my Mac.

You have an option in Advanced settings in Bluetooth connections. Be sure that the option to allow bluetooth devices to wake the mac up is not allowed.

It can mean that if you have a bluetooth mouse and you touch it even if your mac is closed, it will try to wake it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.