Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Geefiasco

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2008
Hi, I've literally just opened my new iPhone 6 Plus 10 minutes ago and instantly noticed a really dark blotch in the top right-hand corner near the battery indicator.

I'm pissed off because I now have to travel some distance and pay for parking (and petrol) to visit an Apple Store.

If they agree to replace it, will it be a BRAND NEW device? (sealed), or will it be a shoddy refurb? if it's the latter, I won't even bother wasting my time.

I'm from the UK by the way.

Thanks in advance.

saltd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
There is no reason to think that refurbs are shoddy, any refurbs that I've gotten have been just like new. They won't show any signs of use, in my experience.

Anyhow, that bad display is gonna drive you nuts. Don't hesitate, get that phone replaced ASAP! That's too much money to settle on a defective phone.

Also, they might just give you a new one-I don't really know. Sorry about your wonky display-I've been there myself. Very frustrating.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
It's still too soon to likely get a refurbished replacement. If you want to guarantee getting a brand new device, return it and repurchase a new one.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
If they agree to replace it, will it be a BRAND NEW device? (sealed), or will it be a shoddy refurb? if it's the latter, I won't even bother wasting my time.

I'm from the UK by the way.

Thanks in advance.

If the Apple store has a new retail unit in stock, and you are within return period, you can do the return/exchange. Otherwise you will have to go through the Genius Bar for a replacement unit, which can be brand new or refurb.

techiebug

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2013
I'm not sure what would piss me more.. A brand new item with defect or a "brand new" refurbished without defect.. But I'm sure as hell a refurbished doesn't worth $1000

Geefiasco

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2008
Thanks for the help guys.

I don't want a refurb because I think it's unfair, especially if my iPhone is 5 hours old!

I have rung my phone provider (Three UK) and have explained the situation to them, and they have agreed to send out the replacement for a Monday delivery. Which is more than fair enough.

I just HOPE the new phone doesn't have this issue.

yaboyac29

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2014
Thanks for the help guys.

I don't want a refurb because I think it's unfair, especially if my iPhone is 5 hours old!

I have rung my phone provider (Three UK) and have explained the situation to them, and they have agreed to send out the replacement for a Monday delivery. Which is more than fair enough.

I just HOPE the new phone doesn't have this issue.

The phones been out for a month. refurbs haven't hit the store yet

yaboyac29

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2014
How long does it take to turn all the returns (for customers who just didn't want it) into refurbs?

They still need to get inspected. I would imagine they're sent to a facility in the US where they go through a very thorough quality control test and then shipped back to the stores.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Refurbs are anything but shoddy. In fact, they're more reliable as more testing has been done on them.

I've always been happy when I've had to get a refurb replacement. At the end of the day, if the device looks and operates like new, who gives a crap?

Geefiasco

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2008
A refurb after the usual 14/28 day return period is fair enoughh - But having opened the phone today and to be told you can either accept this second-hand device or keep your faulty one, is taking the p!ss. It's only 6 hours old for Goodness sake. If I knew it had this problem I obviously wouldn't have parted way with my well earned cash.

But as it seems, Apple are doing the right thing and are exchanging the device for a brand new one.

3lionsbecks

Suspended
Jul 19, 2010
Ontario, Canada
A refurb after the usual 14/28 day return period is fair enoughh - But having opened the phone today and to be told you can either accept this second-hand device or keep your faulty one, is taking the p!ss. It's only 6 hours old for Goodness sake. If I knew it had this problem I obviously wouldn't have parted way with my well earned cash.

But as it seems, Apple are doing the right thing and are exchanging the device for a brand new one.

If its an issue why not just return it and buy a new one. Why come on here and piss and moan about something that hasn't happened and is easily avoidable.

You need to do some thinking about what you perceive as a 'problem' in your life.

Last edited:

MothJab

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2014
This is indeed an issue. Iv had 4 replacement 6 devices because of it and the one I have now is the worse of all of them. I believe I see what it's occurring and posted it to one of the many Apple support threads about this. The issue appears to occur because of backlight leak near the dark spots.

Geefiasco

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2008
If its an issue why not just return it and buy a new one. Why come on here and piss and moan about something that hasn't happened and is easily avoidable.

You need to do some thinking about what you perceive as a 'problem' in your life.
What on earth are you babbling on about? 'problem' in my life? how did you come to that conclusion?

I wasn't moaning either, I mentioned the words "shoddy refurb" and some posters weren't happy with that - I simply explained myself.

I have a new device on the way, so the issue has been resolved.

3lionsbecks

Suspended
Jul 19, 2010
Ontario, Canada
This is indeed an issue. Iv had 4 replacement 6 devices because of it and the one I have now is the worse of all of them. I believe I see what it's occurring and posted it to one of the many Apple support threads about this. The issue appears to occur because of backlight leak near the dark spots.

Oh....you're one of those customers.....got it.

I've had 4 new iPhones as well (6 128gb, 6 64gb, 6+ 16gb and now a 6+ 64gb) and none have had this issue.

MothJab

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2014
Man some of your guys on this forum act like passive aggressive children. I've been lurking for a while. This is indeed a legit issue. I paid 750 dollars for my phone outright, did you?

Anyway check the apple forums. I'm not here to convince you.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.