Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
you can't sit down with your phone in any pant pocket (front or back) or you'll bend it.

Folks, I really do think this is probably true - maybe not for all of the phones, but for a certain lot or batch.

I took out the rest of the quote about it not being Apple's fault. I do think that there's a bad batch of phones out there that just can't take certain stresses.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
This is not necessarily true. http://www.oneofthenine.com/ has many cases of regular iphones 6 that have been bent (note I am not making a judgement whether mis-use was involved or if there is a defect - just that the iPhone 6 bends too). Some have even reported them slightly bent right out of the box. Even Consumer Reports found that the regular 6 bent with less force than the 6 plus. Since there are six times as many iPhone 6s out there than 6 pluses I would expect there to be more cases of bent iPhone 6s over time.

Sorry but after seeing this website, the iphone 6's are practically lemons waiting to bend......reminds me of how some ford cars use to be back in the day.....

FireCapt

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2014
so how come all the phones are bending is off center?

Had my iPhone 6+ for a month now. normal usage with NO bends. I'm beginning to think this was a bad frame lot during manufacturing and judging by the amount of claimed bent frames, it doesn't appear to be a large lot. Apple will take care of the issue with an exchange:cool::apple:

stevewil131

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
Fort Worth Texas
Your question makes no sense whatsoever.

----------

I've avoided it by buying an iPhone 6 Plus. Which is to say that I haven't really done anything special at all. No bend.

I am pretty new to the forum, but I just have to say Wow. Monkey you are something else. I see you in almost every one of the bend threads talking to people the way you do. I have a 6 plus and it is not bent, but I have to say it is in the back of my mind. I do carry it in my front pocket all the time, and I am constantly worried about bumping something too hard. I am quite certain it will bend if this happens. I am sure people forget about what exactly happens. Quit questioning every single person that has an issue. They are not all lyeing about it. You are one of those guys that us Texans like to take out behind the tool shed and give a good ole @ss woopin. Hard headed folks tend to learn only from this. Have a good one!

AppleWarMachine

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2011
Michigan, US
Folks, I really do think this is probably true - maybe not for all of the phones, but for a certain lot or batch.

I took out the rest of the quote about it not being Apple's fault. I do think that there's a bad batch of phones out there that just can't take certain stresses.

i do agree that they should have made it stronger though (like the 5s)

bendmygate

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
People can claim whatever they want. They can even post pictures after they sit on their phone and claim under the oath of the internet that it was always in their front pocket, in a case, and that they wear baggy microfiber pants because they are so terrified of bending their precious phone.

Can you prove they didn't?

So calling them "liars" may be a bit harsh, but even if it's not "9", it's still a fraction of a fraction of the millions of users, and for the millions that aren't affected, it's really hard to believe.

If that makes it a "gate", getting struck by lightning should be a "gate" too, especially since statistically it happens with greater frequency.

Glad Apple took care of the OP. If I were Apple, I would too. Not because I did anything wrong mind you, but because it really doesn't matter at these numbers.

iphone1027

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
I personally haven't had any issues with my iP6+. I have had it from day 1 and have put it in my jean front pockets, front pockets in my shorts, and lifted weights with it in my pocket. No bending at all. I just recently bought a NATHAN 5k "bag" for working out, since having the phone in my shorts while listening to music was a little annoying. Still no bending. I don't know if I received a "good" batch or not but I certainly take care of my phones but don't baby it too much. Just my .02

cdaq

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2014
People can claim whatever they want. They can even post pictures after they sit on their phone and claim under the oath of the internet that it was always in their front pocket, in a case, and that they wear baggy microfiber pants because they are so terrified of bending their precious phone.

Can you prove they didn't?

So calling them "liars" may be a bit harsh, but even if it's not "9", it's still a fraction of a fraction of the millions of users, and for the millions that aren't affected, it's really hard to believe.

If that makes it a "gate", getting struck by lightning should be a "gate" too, especially since statistically it happens with greater frequency.

Glad Apple took care of the OP. If I were Apple, I would too. Not because I did anything wrong mind you, but because it really doesn't matter at these numbers.
I don't think it's possible to know what the real numbers are at this point, although I understand some peoples need to defend their fruit master at all costs to objectivity. What I do know is that I've NEVER heard of this happening to another phone.

d4nny

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2008
the real issue here is instead of hard snap on cases like the Candyshell maybe slider cases would be more prudent with the iPhone 6's and 6+'s...

I'm going to test this out today. I have a slight warp on my 6+, gonna run to BB after work and try the Seidio Surface case. It's a hard plastic slider, hopefully that will even it out. I'm hoping that Incase comes out with their sliders soon.

MyAppleWorld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Birmingham, UK
i had the same problem, 3week old handset, always kept in an Apple leather case and not kept in leg pockets etc...

Booked in with the Genius Bar in Metrocentre, UK and went there this afternoon. Went through the bend/warp on my 6plus and they agreed to swap it out on this occasion as a gesture of good will. I am yet to get the replacement as they didn't have any Gold 6plus' in stock but will ring me when they have it (ordered in for me apparently), and I have the Apple email confirming their intention for a free exchange.

I was very patient and open about its usage and how I treat a phone and the girl I dealt with was very accommodating and accepted the warp/bend was potentially a manufacturer defect.

exchanging under good will they are NOT accepting its a manufacturing defect

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
wow, what a change of tone... what happened, did your phone bend?

Some of your quotes:

None of those comments contradict. You should work on your reading comprehension skills.

----------

I am pretty new to the forum, but I just have to say Wow. Monkey you are something else. I see you in almost every one of the bend threads talking to people the way you do. I have a 6 plus and it is not bent, but I have to say it is in the back of my mind. I do carry it in my front pocket all the time, and I am constantly worried about bumping something too hard. I am quite certain it will bend if this happens. I am sure people forget about what exactly happens. Quit questioning every single person that has an issue. They are not all lyeing about it. You are one of those guys that us Texans like to take out behind the tool shed and give a good ole @ss woopin. Hard headed folks tend to learn only from this. Have a good one!

Yeah. I need to get beaten up because I'd like to know what these people did to bend their phones. Sure. That makes sense.

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
I didn't think it would happen...signs of bending

Sorry but after seeing this website, the iphone 6's are practically lemons waiting to bend......reminds me of how some ford cars use to be back in the day.....

Thing is that website has only reported 176 instances of bending out of millions of phones sold. This guy scours MacRumors, Twitter, Facebook and Reddit looking for instances of bending to post. I would think that in the social media age we live in the number of postings on his site would have to be much higher if this was a widespread issue. I'm not disputing that the phones can be bent, but I'm not sure if it's due to poor design, manufacturing defects, intentional or accidental damage or just plain old bad luck.

----------

I don't think it's possible to know what the real numbers are at this point, although I understand some peoples need to defend their fruit master at all costs to objectivity. What I do know is that I've NEVER heard of this happening to another phone.

It also happened to the iPhone 5 and 5s. If you google "bent iPhone 5" you will see the reports. I even saw a picture of a slightly bent iPhone 4s. Not saying it took the same force as bending the iPhone 6/6+ but it did happen. Also saw reports on bent HTC One M7 and M8s.

Last edited:

Gryfter

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'm going to test this out today. I have a slight warp on my 6+, gonna run to BB after work and try the Seidio Surface case. It's a hard plastic slider, hopefully that will even it out. I'm hoping that Incase comes out with their sliders soon.

Im personally waiting for the Incase Slider cases myself...

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Quick Update. As always, I had a great experience with Apple customer service. And it's one of the reasons why I buy Apple products. They replaced my phone no questions asked. I didn't have to convince them or anything.

Hopefully everyone that has this problem can get their phones replaced.

OP glad to hear this.

I'm getting mixed messages about bending. some people are straight out told to pay the full out of warranty replacement cost.
what did you say to the genius before he/she decided to replace?

d4nny

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2008
Im personally waiting for the Incase Slider cases myself...

Got the Seidio case, phone lays flush face down and camera side down now. Very minor wobble when its camera side down. If there is a warp, i think the case alleviates its alittle. The case is no good though so I'm returning it and waiting for the incase.

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
Thing is that website has only reported 176 instances of bending out of millions of phones sold. This guy scours MacRumors, Twitter, Facebook and Reddit looking for instances of bending to post. I would think that in the social media age we live in the number of postings on his site would have to be much higher if this was a widespread issue. I'm not disputing that the phones can be bent, but I'm not sure if it's due to poor design, manufacturing defects, intentional or accidental damage or just plain old bad luck.

----------

It also happened to the iPhone 5 and 5s. If you google "bent iPhone 5" you will see the reports. I even saw a picture of a slightly bent iPhone 4s. Not saying it took the same force as bending the iPhone 6/6+ but it did happen. Also saw reports on bent HTC One M7 and M8s.

Yes and the Iphone 6 outsells the M7 and M8 like 1,000 to 1. So more chances that it can happen.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
OP glad to hear this.

I'm getting mixed messages about bending. some people are straight out told to pay the full out of warranty replacement cost.
what did you say to the genius before he/she decided to replace?

I think if you device looks like the OPs and you speak with respect Apple would replace it, some of the photos online the phone looks like a 45degree angle those are more likely the one being turned away as it now looks closer to user damage

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Yes and the Iphone 6 outsells the M7 and M8 like 1,000 to 1. So more chances that it can happen.

Agreed. I was responding to the quoted posters comment that they have never heard of any other phone bending. Was pointing out that it has happened to Apple and HTC phones before the 6/6+ were released.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Almost all, if not all the bend occur off center. All 'scientific' testing aka consumer reports have tested the bending issue at the center of the phone.

What they need to do is test it off center.

Yes exactly. CR testing was very limited.

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto

Bent iPhone 4/4s were rare I have never seen one in person the bent 5/5s were much more common. What was apple repose to the 5/5S bending? lets make it even weaker, the 5/5s is almost 100% less resistant to bending (70 lbs vs 130lbs).

People are bending these phone, nothing will bend by itself. One would expect with Apples "it just works philosophy" people would not have to worry about pant pockets. If I had an iPhone 6, I can tell you it would not bend! I would put the most rigid case available.

Bendgate is no about phones bending but rather what "normal use" is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.