Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Thanks, but that only works for Safari, for which anyway the back button is at the bottom. What I mean is go back in your app, go back from the inbox of one email to your mailbox overview to pick the next email. Go back from one Pandora station to switch to another one. Go back from a transaction detail in your banking app to see your account summary again.

works fine for me in email.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Only had the iPhone 6 for about a week now, but using Reachability more and more, especially after discovering it works with notification center as well!

Lashae

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
Blown away? Not particularly.
I do however think it's very handy, I use it pretty much every time I pick up my phone.
I'm a woman and I have small hands, I also have a 6 Plus, and the reachability feature makes it a lot easier to reach the top half of the screen.

mgs315

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2011
I find myself using my other hand more often than not if I need to reach the top of the screen. I type double thumbed most of the time as it is (always have done since my first 3G).

When I can't use my other hand then I usually change my grip but considering where I live isn't too friendly I'd rather not use my phone if I haven't got both hands free, it makes the 6+ a bit too easy to snatch out of the hand.

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
I've got small hands but don't find myself using reachability much. It implies getting down to the home button, which is difficult in itself depending on how you're holding the phone. We've got 2 hands, so after all why not use them...

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I've accidentally triggered it more times than I have intentionally it's a decent idea, but I really think having a larger form factor stumped Apple since they had put so much time into laying out an OS that was accessible with only 1 hand.

Thanks, but that only works for Safari, for which anyway the back button is at the bottom. What I mean is go back in your app, go back from the inbox of one email to your mailbox overview to pick the next email. Go back from one Pandora station to switch to another one. Go back from a transaction detail in your banking app to see your account summary again.

Ugh, the idea of adding a physical back button sounds like a step backwards aesthetically.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
I think apple should just copy Samsung on reachability by shrinking the screen. It is much better concept than apple. No shame in copying good idea.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Sometimes I use it but really it's in the wrong place. Depending on what hand your holding the phone with the Touch ID/reachability should be in the center of the screen. Maybe they should have added a gesture/tap

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I've only activated it by accident. I've developed a way of gripping my wallet case cover so I can use the Plus one handed decently when I have to. But I've always been primarily a two-handed texter and smart phone user.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.