Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

surge2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2014
Hey.
Half a year ago or so my parents found an Iphone 5s on the beach here in honolulu. I always wanted to use it but have been really busy and haven't done so. I think I tried to at some point, It had a password on it, I plugged it into a computer, updated the os and wiped the data. However it is in Japanese. This looks like a japanese made iphone 5s. Whenever I turn it on and look at the screen, it shows the data, battery charge, has three symbols where the carrier should be, followed by 3 dots. It says iphone followed by like 8 jap symbols, when I slide to unlock, it takes me to the emergency call interface. With call button and return to menu button. Anyway I can do nothing else, it looks like its locked. How do I unlock this?

ohhh I think it says "iphone is disabled"

jahall05

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2013
Exactly what the poster above said. If you found an iPhone, you should have turned it in.

The owner most likely realized they lost it, logged onto their iCloud account and remotely disabled the phone.

Congratulations, you have a paperweight and nobody in this forum or at Apple is going to assist you.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
eject sim
find out who the carrier is
reinsert sim
return the iPhone to the carrier the sim card matches.

that might be faster then returning it to apple or the police

if the carrier is overseas give iPhone to apple or the police depending on your preferences.

cool tip:

if you find an iPhone and it has not been wiped, you can ask siri "who does this iPhone belong to?" and it will display your contact information. pretty cool, heh

Last edited:

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
That's if you set up your info on it. Otherwise it will say it doesnt know

well, i guess it reads your sim card for the telephone number and matches it to your phone book . i don't think i ever told siri i owned the phone.its not like Medical ID in health book, where you have to specifically set it up.

sim or no sim it knows your device.. based on iCloud i think. it knew my iPhone 6 was mine despite it not having an active sim in it. and it knew my iPad when it has a mobile data sim in it.

the real thing that prevents people from asking siri who does this iPhone belong to, is not your setup, but its the requirement you enter your passcode after the iPhone restarts that stops siri from working

Last edited:

its Dale

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2013
LA California
well, i guess it reads your sim card for the telephone number and matches it to your phone book . i don't think i ever told siri i owned the phone.its not like Medical ID in health book, where you have to specifically set it up.

sim or no sim it knows your device.. based on iCloud i think. it knew my iPhone 6 was mine despite it not having an active sim in it. and it knew my iPad when it has a mobile data sim in it.

the real thing that prevents people from asking siri who does this iPhone belong to, is not your setup, but its the requirement you enter your passcode after the iPhone restarts that stops siri from working

I asked Siri on mine and it doesn't show my info.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
i wonder how you set it to be sure

Settings > General > Siri > My Info
You may need to set up a contact for yourself to point it to, or edit the one that's already there to show only what information you want it to reveal. And of course, you need to be willing to set Siri to be used at the lockscreen, which some people won't do due to security concerns.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
Settings > General > Siri > My Info
You may need to set up a contact for yourself to point it to, or edit the one that's already there to show only what information you want it to reveal. And of course, you need to be willing to set Siri to be used at the lockscreen, which some people won't do due to security concerns.

yeah the bummer deal about the whole topic is that once you reboot an iPhone the whole siri is disabled unless you type your passcode. regardless of your siri lock screen setting, but that is still a good tip

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
I don't mind you keeping it as long as you attempted to locate the owner first. If you can't, then keep it but seems the one you have is useless.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Yep given that the phone is of absolutely no use to you, you may as well do the right thing and help someone out.

Hand it in (either to the police or an Apple store) and hopefully they can help get it reunited with its owner.

surge2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2014
hey

so the iphone is locked in japanese. a japanese tourist dropped it a long time ago. I live in america and he probably lives in japan. When I got it, it was locked with a passcode. Instead of fiddling with it and unlocking it, first thing I did was put it into recovery mode and tried to factory reset it. This is how it was icloud locked. by my itunes.

itkindaworks

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
so the iphone is locked in japanese. a japanese tourist dropped it a long time ago. I live in america and he probably lives in japan. When I got it, it was locked with a passcode. Instead of fiddling with it and unlocking it, first thing I did was put it into recovery mode and tried to factory reset it. This is how it was icloud locked. by my itunes.

Oh I see, so you're the good guy in this saga?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Great.
First thing I do is restore it:(
Looks like you got what you deserved in the end.
What else is there to discuss? You have a useless brick. Enjoy.
And the posts are not trashy, your actions are.

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
Japan has Docomo, AU, and Softbank as their common large carriers. Take the sim card out to identify it and then contact them. Someone paid quite a bit of money for that phone. Just do the right thing. There's a few other possibilities of countries that came from too.

BR3W

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2010
The Siri tip is a good one except when I tried it everything was displayed on my home screen--including my home address and all my twitter/facebook/chat info...so not something I want anyone being able to see. I wish I could control what it does and does not show.

trlyka

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2011
The Siri tip is a good one except when I tried it everything was displayed on my home screen--including my home address and all my twitter/facebook/chat info...so not something I want anyone being able to see. I wish I could control what it does and does not show.

I created my own contact with just my first name, home number (since they obviously can't call my cell), yahoo IM name and email address. Plus a note that says if you find this iPhone please call the home number and send and email. Then I went into Siri and chose my skeleton profile as My Info in Siri.

b3av3r

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2012
Louisiana
Hey.
Half a year ago or so my parents found an Iphone 5s on the beach here in honolulu. I always wanted to use it but have been really busy and haven't done so. I think I tried to at some point, It had a password on it, I plugged it into a computer, updated the os and wiped the data. However it is in Japanese. This looks like a japanese made iphone 5s. Whenever I turn it on and look at the screen, it shows the data, battery charge, has three symbols where the carrier should be, followed by 3 dots. It says iphone followed by like 8 jap symbols, when I slide to unlock, it takes me to the emergency call interface. With call button and return to menu button. Anyway I can do nothing else, it looks like its locked. How do I unlock this?

ohhh I think it says "iphone is disabled"

Based on the bolded info, you never planned on attempting to get the phone to its proper owner and I'm glad the iCloud lock feature kept you from using the phone. Hopefully, you realize the phone is completely useless to you now and make an attempt to do the right thing. I would bring the phone to an Apple store and let them try to get the phone back to its proper owner.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Why did you not try and find a contact using Siri and texting or calling it to find the phones owner?

I am glad the iPhone has this facility because it stops people using phones they find that are not their property. I have found a couple of iPhone's in the past and have handed them in.

MNR

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2014
The iPhone 6 is my first iPhone. I was wondering how do you set up the wipe at distance thing if you loose or if the phone get stolen. I think that for such an expensive phone it feels good to know that nobody can use it if it gets stolen. Thank you,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.