Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Using airdrop?

• Every day

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • ~Once a week

Votes: 24 11.2%
  • ~Once a month

Votes: 53 24.7%
  • Never

Votes: 132 61.4%

• Total voters

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I never used it. Seems unapple like in its implementation, i.e., there are better easier ways to transfer files.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
I use from time to time at work. Send pics/wallpaper back and forth between phones. It's fast and convenient.

Orka

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2012
Moscow, Russia
Frankly the iPhone file support isn't big enough to worry about AirDrop.

Just use iMessage with limitless range. Pics in iMessage are full quality. And if you need to use SMS guess what? That phone isn't an iPhone so it doesn't support airdrop anyway.

That would be more useful for a competing company phone that can use a torrent and you want to transfer a multiple gb movie or something.

And airdrop on an iPhone doesn't work with airdrop on a Mac?!?! Really? I love Apple but this is an embarrassing subject for me. Lol

They are not full quality which is clear if you zoom in, original picture is always sharper then the one you received though iMessage.
By thy way, if you send via airdrop ( or other apps that allow direct wifi transfer) it will preserve original date and time.

I'm sure if people knew all benefits, they would use airdrop much more.

Infinus.gold

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2014
AirDrop is Apple ecosystem component...
i not a great apple fan to fill my life with apple..
but...it's there....good to know...

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
How often do you use AirDrop?

They are not full quality which is clear if you zoom in, original picture is always sharper then the one you received though iMessage.

By thy way, if you send via airdrop ( or other apps that allow direct wifi transfer) it will preserve original date and time.

I'm sure if people knew all benefits, they would use airdrop much more.

iMessage photos and videos are only compressed over cellular and only if the connection is poor. AnandTech covered this when iMessage first came out. http://www.anandtech.com/show/4956/apple-ios-5-review/3

That is moot point. Because I can send a full uncompressed picture video over WiFi just like AirDrop. However you can not send a picture or video AT ALL to someone outside of the area you in let alone state or country. So which looks better? Slightly compressed picture or no picture?

Currently I don't have a device that supports it. That is a problem I have actually. My devices have the supporting hardware and it works beautifully via JB but Apple doesn't support it. lol....

The metadata is sent on a picture with AirDrop? I actually have a problem with that. I'll have to test it but I consider that a security and privacy flaw.

vara6ase.jpg

This is an example. Notice the EXACT address is attached to the photo...

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
iMessage photos and videos are only compressed over cellular and only if the connection is poor. AnandTech covered this when iMessage first came out. http://www.anandtech.com/show/4956/apple-ios-5-review/3

That is moot point. Because I can send a full uncompressed picture video over WiFi just like AirDrop. However you can not send a picture or video AT ALL to someone outside of the area you in let alone state or country. So which looks better? Slightly compressed picture or no picture?

Currently I don't have a device that supports it. That is a problem I have actually. My devices have the supporting hardware and it works beautifully via JB but Apple doesn't support it. lol....

The metadata is sent on a picture with AirDrop? I actually have a problem with that. I'll have to test it but I consider that a security and privacy flaw.

This is an example. Notice the EXACT address is attached to the photo...

That's bad! If I could actually use it, that would be a reason not to.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
How often do you use AirDrop?

That's bad! If I could actually use it, that would be a reason not to.

I don't have a way to test if that info is sent via airdrop. So take that with a grain of salt. Generally that info is scrubbed off like when uploading to FB, text, iMessage etc.

You can also deny location services to the camera app you are using. That's where the info is initially attached.

tkwolf

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
It's handy at times when you have a bunch of friends using iPhone/iPad. Helps sending photos quickly, but apart from that, not much. I think it can't be used with iMac, what a shame.

hunkim

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2014
Airdrop between devices reduces image size/quality?

can't say I've noticed a difference in quality from the one I send to the source where it came from

I just tried an airdrop from iPhone 6 to iPad Mini Retina and the image size went from 2448x3264 (3.48 mb) to 1224x1632 (1.13 mb) - am I missing some sort of setting on either device or do airdrops by default resize the image?

white4s

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2011
New Jersey
I just tried an airdrop from iPhone 6 to iPad Mini Retina and the image size went from 2448x3264 (3.48 mb) to 1224x1632 (1.13 mb) - am I missing some sort of setting on either device or do airdrops by default resize the image?

i assume it defaults like it does with email

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.