Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipadlvr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2014
Let's face it. The iPad Air 2 makes every other iPad, crap. Regardless of what that old hack Mossberg says.

iPad Air users will be upgrading their iPad Air.

Jawnathin

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009
Doubt the Air2 will outsell the iPad 2. They sold a billion of those things over many years as first tablets and to the education sector. This was during a time of heavy growth and excitement in the market place.

The market a bit stagnant now and there isn't as many reasons to upgrade for anyone who has already tablet.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I agree with the OP. As soon as I read the stats even comparing against the iP6(+) I see this as a model that will be sought out.

RByers8252

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
Possible. I've had an iPad 2 since release and finally got the bug to get the air 2. Could see a lot of people wanting to upgrade, iPad 2 has started showing its age.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
I doubt it. They may sell more iPads in general since they have such a low entry price now, but I don't think the iPad air 2 will sell significantly better than any other flagship iPad

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
I am not sure your prediction will come to be. Every year for the last 4 years the tablet market has become more saturated. There are users who prefer Android tablets as well those who prefer IOS. Then there are the users who cannot afford brand new and will instead buy used. Trying to get everyone who already owns a tablet to upgrade to a new one will not be an easy task.

In our business, we are using iPad Air devices equipped with custom software to perform a variety of tasks in the medical industry. Most of our implementations are currently in hospitals. For our customers there is no immediate need to upgrade to the iPad Air 2. And there is the matter of money. Hospital budgets are already stretched to the core. Reimbursements are down and with Obama Care, the situation is degrading before our very eyes. We see it everyday. So, perhaps the average Joe, such as yourself can afford to buy a new tablet every year but big businesses cannot. Since iPad cannot be user upgraded, that presents a huge challenge in getting companies to invest and take a chance with. I think the partnership between IBM and Apple will result in some very good technologies being developed - whether for tablets or something else yet to be invented.

Jawnathin

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009
I am not sure your prediction will come to be. Every year for the last 4 years the tablet market has become more saturated. There are users who prefer Android tablets as well those who prefer IOS. Then there are the users who cannot afford brand new and will instead buy used. Trying to get everyone who already owns a tablet to upgrade to a new one will not be an easy task.

Not to mention there is alot more competition from all over the place now than there was years ago.

In 2011, the iPad 2 was pretty much the only game in town. It was the first tablet for many people, it was a new experience and product for them. iPhones still had 3.5" screens and wasn't a real alternative. In many ways what makes the Air2 so great right now is what made the 2 great when it was released. Thinner, more powerful, more features. They continued to sell this model into 2014.

Nowadays people are already sitting on a tablet and may not see a need to upgrade. If you did want to buy one to replace an iPad 2, they've had 3 years to do so already, and if they waited until now, they have 5 different new iPad models to choose from plus the backlog of used iPads on the market. You have pressure from Android/Amazon tablets in all sorts of sizes and price points. Lets not forget what phablets are doing to the tablet market as well. All this stuff cuts into the potential sales while it was sort of open game before.

Air2 is a great product but I don't think it will be the best selling iPad. Market saturation and competition being the main reasons.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
no way will it ever outsell the iPad 2. that tablet is everywhere! schools, businesses,medical facilities on and on.

i could also name countless people that own several iPad 2's per family, lol i'm the only one i know besides people on here who own the first air.

mr.bee

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
Antwerp, belgium
The release didn't even generated lines at the apple store!

as an iPad2 owner myself I doubt the iPad Air2 will be a big seller. After owning an iPad2 for 3 years I find the device boring and on its decline.
I would have bought a mini if it wasn't beaten by Apple's lame stick.

yes, the hardware is impressive and nice but I can't find a decent use for it to justify buying it anymore. It's a very expensive toilet read.

MTL18

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013
I doubt it. Many people that want an iPads already have one and Apple isn't giving the casual user enough of a reason to upgrade.

I'm a forum member on MacRumors and I still won't upgrade my iPad 2. Find it hard to believe the masses will go running to the Apple store because the Air 2 is xx% lighter and comes with 2GB of RAM.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
yes, the hardware is impressive and nice but I can't find a decent use for it to justify buying it anymore. It's a very expensive toilet read.

I doubt it. Many people that want an iPads already have one and Apple isn't giving the casual user enough of a reason to upgrade.

I'm a forum member on MacRumors and I still won't upgrade my iPad 2. Find it hard to believe the masses will go running to the Apple store because the Air 2 is xx% lighter and comes with 2GB of RAM.

I agree with both of these. If my job didn't buy me one, I would not be purchasing it myself. I feel like I need something more. However, that being said, I am excited about getting it.

I don't think these things will sell out ridiculous. It's a great iPad, but I think a lot of schools/people will keep the iPad 2 around for a bit longer. It's still supported by iOS. Probably next year it will be obsoleted.

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
No chance. If anything, it's made people realise the iPad air is now a fantastic deal at the new price.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Seeing how every Apple Store is fully in stock with the wifi models I doubt it

Sales will drop another 15-20% year over year

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
At the 14th St. Apple store in NYC on iPad 2 launch day, the line was around the block. A big block.

This morning, I walked into the same store for an Air 2. The employee went to get one, came back 5 minutes later with my singular box in his hand and sold it to me. I did not see a single other iPad being sold while I was there, and there was no line anywhere, except for the Chinese people who currently live in a small village inside the store waiting for iPhones.

Faelan

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
I dunno...

Tablet market is pretty saturated right now. The Air 2 is amazing compared to my iPad 4. It's everything that I hoped for. But I'm a power user. I sometimes do things that require juggling a lot of tabs and apps. Most tablet users are pretty casual though in their approach to using a tablet. Surfing a website here and there, watch a YouTube video or some Netflix and play a little Candy Crush. Do you need the Air 2 for that? If that's all you do and you're on an iPad 2 looking to upgrade, why not just save some money and get the Air 1? It's just as good as it was a week ago, but cheaper now.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
RMini 1 and Air 1 will sell in droves with the price reductions. I bet pre Black Friday they will go even lower and folks will have one of those to mess around with while eating turkey dinner! :D

neteng101

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
I'm a forum member on MacRumors and I still won't upgrade my iPad 2.

I'm stoked - Air 2 replaces my 3+ year old iPad 2, its just so much faster and once you get used to the retina display you'll never want to go back. It seems like the perfect sweet spot was hit again with the Air 2.

The iPad 2 has been great, but its definitely on its last breaths now.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I'm stoked - Air 2 replaces my 3+ year old iPad 2, its just so much faster and once you get used to the retina display you'll never want to go back. It seems like the perfect sweet spot was hit again with the Air 2.

The iPad 2 has been great, but its definitely on its last breaths now.

That is a nice upgrade for you, congrats.

Most don't think it will be the best selling iPad though.

neteng101

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Most don't think it will be the best selling iPad though.

Its hard to say but the iPad 2 was on sale for so long that I don't doubt it will be hard to beat that in the total number of units sold. Still, the Air 2 might be able to pull it off... as part of the halo effect of the iPhone 6 and upcoming iWatch that might bring in more people into the Apple ecosystem.

So it wouldn't be on just its own virtues if it happens... but the 6/6+ halo effect cannot be underestimated just yet.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Product launch or normal day in an Apple Store?

ynumuse3.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.