Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tiago44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2014
So the problem is that i have an apple Id with an gmail account, and that is the primary email. the icloud account as that gmail to its primary email. i want just the icloud account for everything! is impossible because in ID management it says i cannot use an icloud.com :/ any help?

Tourgott

macrumors member
May 18, 2014
Stuttgart
This problem exists since years. I guess it will never be fixed because I asked on the hotline and they told me that this is how it should be.

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
This is the problem I also had in 2009. I had no choice but to repurchase everything on my iCloud account.

Satori

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2006
London
This is the problem I also had in 2009. I had no choice but to repurchase everything on my iCloud account.

Wow... that's an expensive solution (depending on how much stuff you had purchased through an itunes account with non-apple email).

I've found that my two apple IDs live side-by-side with no problems. One is for icloud (formerly idisk and mobileme) services and the other for itunes purchases (which is linked to another email). Perhaps one reason that Apple has no intention of creating a way to merge apple IDs is because for the vast majority it won't cause a problem.

Having said that, I can see it would be a PITA for people who had purchased media and apps through 2 or more apple IDs.

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
Wow... that's an expensive solution (depending on how much stuff you had purchased through an itunes account with non-apple email).

I've found that my two apple IDs live side-by-side with no problems. One is for icloud (formerly idisk and mobileme) services and the other for itunes purchases (which is linked to another email). Perhaps one reason that Apple has no intention of creating a way to merge apple IDs is because for the vast majority it won't cause a problem.

Having said that, I can see it would be a PITA for people who had purchased media and apps through 2 or more apple IDs.

It cost me about £300 to buy apps/music again (before iTunes Match). Apple should offer a way to transfer purchase to another Apple ID. What if you want to pass on your iTunes Library/Apps/Books to your children when you die? :(

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
This problem exists since years. I guess it will never be fixed because I asked on the hotline and they told me that this is how it should be.

If this was true, why can people now make a new iTunes account/Apple ID using an @icloud email address?

There are days I hate this issue, but days I don't care. They should just make so we can change our Apple ID to whatever we want including @me/@icloud.

Aragornii

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
If this was true, why can people now make a new iTunes account/Apple ID using an @icloud email address?

There are days I hate this issue, but days I don't care. They should just make so we can change our Apple ID to whatever we want including @me/@icloud.

Even if it's not your primary email address you can still use it as your Apple ID.

My primary email address for my Apple ID is a gmail account, but I never use it to log in. I always just use my iCloud address because it's shorter. I don't think it really matters which email is your "primary". You can add as many email addresses to your Apple ID as you want and use any one of them.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Apple doesn't want to make this easier for the user. Personally, I have an old Hotmail email account that I'd like to retire but I used it with iTunes long ago and now there's no way to merge or migrate purchases to a new iCloud account.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Even if it's not your primary email address you can still use it as your Apple ID.

My primary email address for my Apple ID is a gmail account, but I never use it to log in. I always just use my iCloud address because it's shorter. I don't think it really matters which email is your "primary". You can add as many email addresses to your Apple ID as you want and use any one of them.

True, but some free email providers recycle user names if you don't use it and that can be an issue.

I switched my Apple ID from gmail to ouitlook, but I still have to keep my @outlook even if I don't want to use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.