Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UKmacman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
Anyone know if the existing case will work with the air 2. I like this case and want to know if an updated version will come out.

corry20

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2006
I would like to know this also.I have a Anker keyboard for my Ipad 3.Don't think the hinges is going to fit the the Ipad Air 2.I am looking for just a keyboard cover for my IPad Air 2.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Your best bet is to contact Logitech directly and ask. As the new device is thinner than the old one, I can see where it might not fit & stand up properly in the slot meant for the older model. That said, there's often a little room for error in these things; my Ultrathin cover for the iPad Mini original does fit the Mini 2, even though the newer device is actually a little thicker than the original.

But until someone here actually has an Air 2 in hand and can test this, only the manufacturer is going to be able to tell you anything.

Last edited:

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
My guess us that the ever so slight difference in the thickness if the air2 will not mean new cases are needed

matthewadams

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
Got The fabricskin keyfolio and while the iPad somewhat fits, neither the keyboard gets switched on nor the iPad switched off when closing the lid.
I suppose something magnet related has changed...

jryu90

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2013
Washington, D.C. Metro Area
I've been looking into this as well. I still have my Ultrathin keyboard for my iPad 3, and was hoping the Ultrathin for the iPad Air 1 would be compatible, but discovered it is not. I went to my local Best Buy today and had an employee let me test out the keyboard on both their iPad Air 1 and 2 display models. While the 2 does still fit length-wise into the slot, there are two issues that make it incompatible: 1. The iPad Air 2's thinness doesn't provide a secure fit into the slot (that 1mm does actually make a difference, it seems), 2. The magnets don't align properly thus it doesn't "snap" into place like the Air 1 would and easily falls out if pulled. Hopefully, Logitech releases a new model compatibke with the changes in physical dimensions and magnet placement.

xStatiCa

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2009
The confusing part is that Logitech makes 2 different versions for the ipad air. One of them has a hinge that flaps around when detached. The newer one goes down flat into the keyboard and only pops up with the ipad air comes close to the hinge. Which one is everyone talking about?

Old:
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/ultrathin-keyboard-cover-ipad-5

New:
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/ultrathin-air

None of them claim ipad air 2 compatibility but I am wondering which one people area claiming that it works and doesn't? I am thinking the newer one migth not work as well because the hinge seem more fixed. The old one flops around more so maybe it would work better? I have no idea though. I am just guessing.

jryu90

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2013
The confusing part is that Logitech makes 2 different versions for the ipad air. One of them has a hinge that flaps around when detached. The newer one goes down flat into the keyboard and only pops up with the ipad air comes close to the hinge. Which one is everyone talking about?

Old:
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/ultrathin-keyboard-cover-ipad-5

New:
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/ultrathin-air

None of them claim ipad air 2 compatibility but I am wondering which one people area claiming that it works and doesn't? I am thinking the newer one migth not work as well because the hinge seem more fixed. The old one flops around more so maybe it would work better? I have no idea though. I am just guessing.

Neither of them work for the iPad Air 2. Not perfectly (see my previous post, I tested both of them out.) The first one, the Ultrathin Keyboard Cover, was considered a "rushed product," by Logitech, as it was nothing more than a rehashed re-release of the old Ultrathin Keyboard Cover for the iPad 2-4. The second one, simply known now as the Ultrathin, is a revised version of the first one. They changed the hinge design, added more rubber bumpers, and added a tilt functionality in the hinge. I don't know why Logitech still sells both, as the first one is essentially inferior to the newer one. But like I said, neither of them work perfectly for the iPad Air 2. The iPad Air 2 WILL FIT the grooved slot, but the Air 2 is too thin for it, meaning it runs the risk of falling out by tipping, and the magnets have been rearranged in the Air 2, meaning the keyboard covers don't offer as secure of a fit.

Last edited:

jryu90

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2013
Looks like our prayers have finally been answered. Logitech's announced updated versions of their Ultrathin and Type+ (which was already a revised version of their Ultrathin Folio) for the iPad Air 2.

http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/28/logitech-announces-new-ipad-air-2-keys-to-go-type-and-ultrathin-keyboard-cases/

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
This is probably a silly question, but all the photos I see for the Ultrathin show the iPad in landscape orientation. The Ultrathin allows you to stand the ipad up in portrait orientation, right? I'm currently using the Anker TC30 which doesn't use magnets and both orientations are supported.

HeatherA

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2009
Got The fabricskin keyfolio and while the iPad somewhat fits, neither the keyboard gets switched on nor the iPad switched off when closing the lid.
I suppose something magnet related has changed...

I'm having the same issue... it must be magnet related. I've actually bought and returned one thinking something was wrong with it. I wonder if there's any way to get the iPad Air 2 to play nicely with the fabricskin?

I really want to keep it because I scored it for $30 at Sam's Club ;)

corry20

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2006
I have been using my old Anker keyboard for the Ipad 3.It works even stays in the slot.Doesn't hold it perfectly but I don't really care since I never care it like that always have it in a bag.
oiggew.jpg

25517qq.jpg

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
I'm leaning towards the Keys to Go, but I noticed Logitech already has this for $10 more: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Blue...ard-iPhone/dp/B0099SMFP2/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t

It's a bit larger, slightly larger than the Apple wireless keyboard, but it's got great reviews and has some extra functions that the Keys to Go doesn't. The one downside is that it's got less battery life, rated for about 10 days on a charge. Anyone have this and can chime in on it?

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
That KeysToGo one looks SWEET! If I didn't already have both the Ultrathin Mini and the Apple Wireless Keyboards, I would be all over that one. Heck, I might be anyway; waterproof and futureproof, since it will work with any iPad. Which is something to consider, for those who haven't settled on accessories yet. If you're a frequent upgrader, getting accessories that will work with your next device as well as your current one can be a big plus. I've found more than once that using the Mini with the Ultrathin's stand up groove puts keyboard and screen in a less than ideal position together for me. And if I'm going to carry around a separate stand to put the ipad where I want it (or use a cover with a built in stand), then why go with a hinged keyboard that might not work with my next iPad in a year or two in the first place?

Just something to think about. Anyway, I do wonder how the KeysToGo feels to type on. The Ultrathin I have is very comfortable for touch typing.

As far as vertical position with the Ultrathin: on the Mini version, vertical does work and does appear to use the magnets somehow, as the keyboard lifts as though attached when I pick up the iPad from the top. That said, it's definitely a little more top heavy and easy to tip over, and that makes me wonder how well the Air/Air 2 versions would do in that position. Hopefully someone can chime in on that.

Tacit37

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2014
Logitech ultrathin for Ipad 2 with smartcase works with Ipad Air 2

FYI: I found that putting the Ipad air 2 with a smart case folded up fit perfectly with the logitech ultrathin for ipad 2.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
I'm leaning towards the Keys to Go, but I noticed Logitech already has this for $10 more: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Blue...ard-iPhone/dp/B0099SMFP2/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t

It's a bit larger, slightly larger than the Apple wireless keyboard, but it's got great reviews and has some extra functions that the Keys to Go doesn't. The one downside is that it's got less battery life, rated for about 10 days on a charge. Anyone have this and can chime in on it?

Well I went ahead and ordered that one. It's fantastic. Typing on it feels just right, and being able to hot swap between devices is brilliant. It's bigger than a truly made for iPad keyboard would be, but that just makes it all the easier to type on, IMO. I highly recommend that one.

tim0409

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2010
I picked up a Type + today from the Apple Store for my wife's iPad Air 2 - although it is for the original Air it seemed to fit well enough in store but I have just realised the magnets must have been redesigned in the Air 2 so the auto-on feature doesn't work (it doesn't have an on/off switch). Normally I would have waited for the updated model but she needs it for a presentation on Monday. Will take it back and swap for an Apple Smart Cover until the new one comes out.

BearsFan34

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2007
Chicagoland, IL
Logitech ultra thin keyboard for iPad air 2?

I'll add my vote for the Logitech Keys-To-Go. Happened to stroll into an Apple Store last week, and they had them in stock. Picked up a red Keys-To-Go. HUGE fan. It fits perfectly in both a Herschel zippered case and my STM shoulder bag and adds little to no bulk at all.

The iOS keys are GREAT. Only complaint is that unlike the Logitech K811 I have, the Keys-To-Go does NOT have a key dedicated to putting the iPad to sleep. With the K811 I could press fn and Esc and the iPad would sleep. Very minor complaint, but this keyboard is terrific.

The keys have a bit of a "dry" feel at first--and it took me a day/two to get used to typing on it, but I love this thing & it's well worth the money, even if it's about $20 too pricey IMO.

Tacit37

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2014
Best buy has the new iPad air 2 ultrathin keyboard in stock. I tried it out but didn't buy it. Kind of boring. The original one has nicer keys.

bigdog5142

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MI
That Keys-To-Go keyboard looks interesting!

I just picked up the Keys To Go tonight and I like it! Really slim, extremely portable and feels like the FabricSkin that I've been using for the Air 1. Unfortunately, the FabricSkin won't work for the Air 2. So...it will go on eBay and I'll move on to the Keys To Go. Pretty impressed.

jryu90

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2013
Purcahsed the Ultrathin for the iPad Air 2 at my local Best Buy Thursday evening. The design is stunningly sleek and the keyboard is absolutely amazing. However, because I applied a ZAGG tempered glass screen protector onto my iPad, it made the the fit of the iPad into the magnetic groove of the keyboard imperfect (it was just a tad bit thicker than the groove itself). The iPad would still stay put due to the strong magnets holding it in place, however, it made the slightly unbalanced, especially when adjusting the angle. Occasionally, with enough pressure, the iPad would pop out of the slot.

So today, I headed over to Best Buy and exchanged the Ultrathin for the Logitech Type+ for iPad Air 2, and the fit is perfect this time because the plastic tabs holding the iPad in place only touch the chamfered edges of the iPad. I'll definitely miss the adjustable angle of the Ultrathin and slim profile, but overall, the Type+ is no less impressive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.