Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

occollegeboi420

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2013
I seriously doubt that using electronic devices such as our phones and other media consumption devices will affect the safety of the plane.

I've been on flights to third world countries and the locals there use their phones before, during and after the plane has landed. I'm still alive to tell the tale.

And you know this how????? Are you a pilot? Are you a flight attendant? Do you work for an airport or do you work in the airline industry????

I used to work in an international airport, I asked a PILOT why cell phones cannot be used, he says it interferes with the NAVIGATION.

You people on your high horses think you are all so special, don't you?

----------

Seriously, it's about RESPECT. I don't care how many times you've heard the same safety brief told by the flight attendants. It is their JOB to say all of that. Do you think they do it for their health? Do you think they do it to entertain you? NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take off your damn earbuds, get that apple device out of your face, put it away, and sit there for 10 minutes and show the FA some respect. If I were the flight attendant I would kick people off the plain for being disrespectful during the safety brief.

I worked at a starbucks in an international airport, and all you people wining about not being able to listen to your music are probably the same people that I gave decaf to without them knowing.

occollegeboi420

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2013
Yeah... On my way from LAX to LGA I used LTE in the sky's and survived fine... No one knew. For the inflight wifi it is just a smartphone plugged into a power source with a funky hotspot.

WOW dude! So you seriously risked everyone's lives just so you can use your phone so you don't have to be "bored?"

It may not make the plane crash, but using a cell phone can cause interference with the navigation system. I used to work at an international airport, I've asked a pilot why cell phone use isn't allowed, he said it won't make the plane crash but it does interferes with the navigation.

All you people asking, "Oh, has it been tested? How do they know for SURE if it interferes with whatever?" So why aren't these same people asking apple, "Oh did you test the iphone 6 to see if it bends? Did you test ios 8 to see if there's no bugs first??"

Who are you? Stevie Wonder? What makes you think you're so special that you can use your cell phone on an airplane?

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
And you know this how????? Are you a pilot? Are you a flight attendant? Do you work for an airport or do you work in the airline industry????

I used to work in an international airport, I asked a PILOT why cell phones cannot be used, he says it interferes with the NAVIGATION.

----------

Seriously, it's about RESPECT. I don't care how many times you've heard the same safety brief told by the flight attendants. It is their JOB to say all of that. Do you think they do it for their health? Do you think they do it to entertain you? NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take off your damn earbuds, get that apple device out of your face, put it away, and sit there for 10 minutes and show the FA some respect. If I were the flight attendant I would kick people off the plain for being disrespectful during the safety brief.

I worked at a starbucks in an international airport, and all you people wining about not being able to listen to your music are probably the same people that I gave decaf to without them knowing.

Working at a Starbucks at an international airport is LEAGUES away from being an actual pilot and understanding the way avionics work on the flight deck.

I'm a student pilot and even know that modern avionics are well shielded from current PEDs. My CFI even uses his iPad as not only his EFB with all of his charts (I use my Mini for the same thing), but also as a GPS. Those would not be approved for use in a flight deck for Part 121 operations if they weren't capable of being used.

In fact, there was a pilot who recently found someone lying unconscious in the Nevada desert and not only made a call out on GUARD, but also to local police for assistance, all from his iPhone, in his own aircraft, while flying back to Oregon.

You don't really have a bloody clue what you are talking about.

BL.

bawbac

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2012
Seattle, WA
Working at a Starbucks at an international airport is LEAGUES away from being an actual pilot and understanding the way avionics work on the flight deck.

I'm a student pilot and even know that modern avionics are well shielded from current PEDs. My CFI even uses his iPad as not only his EFB with all of his charts (I use my Mini for the same thing), but also as a GPS. Those would not be approved for use in a flight deck for Part 121 operations if they weren't capable of being used.

In fact, there was a pilot who recently found someone lying unconscious in the Nevada desert and not only made a call out on GUARD, but also to local police for assistance, all from his iPhone, in his own aircraft, while flying back to Oregon.

You don't really have a bloody clue what you are talking about.

BL.
An armchair expert with a little knowledge & hearsay...

No matter how much you protect or shield a circuit, it's only done to a certain specification/tolerance. Why do you think planes have double, triple, quadruple redundancy.

So if the noise/interference coming from a device is above the specified tolerance, guess what, issues...

Also, you know they don't actually test each device to check it's emissions.
That is only done at certification.
So if devices get to the consumer that are out of specification, then it's a noise generator looking to cause some havoc.

Aloft085

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014

----------

I'm a pilot. There is no navigation interference from cellphones, if you're using something FCC certified in the United States. Just drop it already. The FAA decided to revoke the ban, and they were correct.

Alex88

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2014
Electronic Devices on Flights

Funny, I was always under the impression that the reason we turned things off during take-off and landing was because of potential interference with the avionics on the plane! Now we're being told that it's because of the fact that we won't be able to pay attention to the safety instructions and/or that our device may be used as a projectile? Before, I understood and accepted the protocol, as I thought it was implemented in order to prevent any technical problems, but if that wasn't really the reason, then I suppose people should be able to do whatever they want during the ENTIRE flight. That is, as long as they behave and don't throw their electronic devices! :D

JustinCPA

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2014
PA, USA
Funny, I was always under the impression that the reason we turned things off during take-off and landing was because of potential interference with the avionics on the plane! Now we're being told that it's because of the fact that we won't be able to pay attention to the safety instructions and/or that our device may be used as a projectile? Before, I understood and accepted the protocol, as I thought it was implemented in order to prevent any technical problems, but if that wasn't really the reason, then I suppose people should be able to do whatever they want during the ENTIRE flight. That is, as long as they behave and don't throw their electronic devices! :D

I think the interference excuse actually made sense when cellphones used a lot more power to transmit. Mythbusters showed that a relatively modern cellphone interfered with certain instruments set up in their shop. How Adam & Jamie's test correlates to the real world, I don't know.
Why are people complaining? Is it really a big deal to turn your crap off for half an hour? Angry Birds can wait.

As for listening to the safety instructions, when I was 20 I had to open the emergency door on a 727 after my plane went off the side of the runway while landing in Philadelphia. Interesting flight to say the least. I was annoyed at the fact I was assigned the emergency door seat and couldn't recline. But that was cancelled out by a 9/10 MILF sitting next to me, touching my arm - the rest is for another thread.

----------

I'm a pilot. There is no navigation interference from cellphones, if you're using something FCC certified in the United States. Just drop it already. The FAA decided to revoke the ban, and they were correct.

What about the old-school PREdigital cellphones? Were they more powerful and on a different frequency that could interfere?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.