Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Anyway, back to the original question of performance, let me setup the ROM 01 and find its software, and maybe I can create a video and give you the Youtube link. Then perhaps you can make the judgement yourself. I'll post back here with any updates relating to this project.

That would be very helpful, thanks! :)

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada
I also like collecting computers. At first, when I initially started, I was looking for cheapy machines from 1995-1999. Now that I have lost interest in machines from that time period, I'm more interested in machines from 2000-2006. That's the wonderful thing about some computers. It's a quick fix for cheap.

Anyhow, at my height of collecting computers, I had about 20. I got rid of 4, but I got about 4 others, so now I have 20 again. All but 5 of which are regular PC machines.

Since I got my Power Mac G4, I kind of just came across the other 4. In order, I got my Power Mac G4, my iMac G3 (which is now dead, but I still have it), my Core 2 Duo iMac, my PowerBook G3 and my PowerBook G4.

Sometimes I'm impulsive when it comes to collecting old junker computers. Just recently I bought an HP Compaq dc7600 for $20. I got it because it was $20 and the seller was literally a few doors down. What luck, since I found the listing on Kijiji. I have no use for the computer, but I got it anyways. I was also impulsive when I got my iMac G3 and my Core 2 Duo iMac, amongst other computers.

CYB3RBYTE

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2014
Midwest
I have had many iBook G4's in the past. Unfortunately I was in the fix and sell business at the time, and I wasn't as interested in collecting. I should have kept at least one or two of them. I also have owned various other machines, but today the only PPC Mac I own is my PowerMac G4 Quicksilver 2001. This is subject to change though, as I may get the chance at a FW800 MDD soon!

All PPC Macs I own or have owned:

-PowerMac G4 Quicksilver, 867MHZ, 1.5GB RAM, 250GB HD

-PowerMac G4 Sawtooth, 400MHZ, 512MB RAM, 250GB HD

-PowerMac G4 MDD, Single 1.0GHZ, 768MB RAM, 80GB HD

-iBook G3 Clamshell SE, 366MHZ, 512MB RAM, 40GB HD

-iBook G3 Clamshell SE, 466MHZ, 512MB RAM, 40GB HD

-2x iBook G4 12", 1.2GHZ, 768MB RAM, 80GB HD

-PowerBook G4 12", 1.0GHZ, 1.25GB RAM, 40GB HD

-PowerBook G4 15", 667MHZ, 256MB, 30GB HD

*PowerMac G5 Early-2004, 2.0GHZ DP, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD* (I repaired this one for a friends father's business, so I never actually owned it :p)

So thats all so far. Hopefully my list continues to grow!

Last edited:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I also like collecting computers. At first, when I initially started, I was looking for cheapy machines from 1995-1999. Now that I have lost interest in machines from that time period, I'm more interested in machines from 2000-2006. That's the wonderful thing about some computers. It's a quick fix for cheap.

Anyhow, at my height of collecting computers, I had about 20. I got rid of 4, but I got about 4 others, so now I have 20 again. All but 5 of which are regular PC machines.

Since I got my Power Mac G4, I kind of just came across the other 4. In order, I got my Power Mac G4, my iMac G3 (which is now dead, but I still have it), my Core 2 Duo iMac, my PowerBook G3 and my PowerBook G4.

Sometimes I'm impulsive when it comes to collecting old junker computers. Just recently I bought an HP Compaq dc7600 for $20. I got it because it was $20 and the seller was literally a few doors down. What luck, since I found the listing on Kijiji. I have no use for the computer, but I got it anyways. I was also impulsive when I got my iMac G3 and my Core 2 Duo iMac, amongst other computers.

Did you ever get the PowerBook G4 fixed or is it still acting up with the GPU issue?

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I went through an all out Powermac attack early this year and now I have to stare at 5 G4 Quicksilvers, 4 monitors, a Powermac G5 with 23" cinema, a powermac 9600, a macintosh plus, mactintosh classic and macintosh classic II. Need a bigger house.

This is why I can't find any on Craigslist.

All I want is a QS that I can boot into OS 9.

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Did you ever get the PowerBook G4 fixed or is it still acting up with the GPU issue?

I don't think I'll ever get that PowerBook fixed. It technically works, and the problem is less intrusive than it was when I first got it but it's still there. A GPU reflow may help but that runs a high risk of wrecking everything all together. So, I won't bother with it.

I don't use the computer as a primary system (as to be expected), and so I have no qualms about rebooting it a few times to get it running. But, once it's going, it runs quite well. Graphics performance is pretty good for the machine, particularly UI animations which are butter smooth on it. And, with MacTubes, YouTube videos are totally watchable, even in fullscreen.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I don't use the computer as a primary system (as to be expected), and so I have no qualms about rebooting it a few times to get it running. But, once it's going, it runs quite well. Graphics performance is pretty good for the machine, particularly UI animations which are butter smooth on it. And, with MacTubes, YouTube videos are totally watchable, even in fullscreen.

Have you ever tried the program called YouView? It lets you play those official videos that throw a 403 error in MacTubes and the performance is great on higher end G4s and G5s. For low-end G4s I still recommend MacTubes.

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Have you ever tried the program called YouView? It lets you play those official videos that throw a 403 error in MacTubes and the performance is great on higher end G4s and G5s. For low-end G4s I still recommend MacTubes.

Nope, I've never tried YouView. Never even heard of it for that matter, but I'll probably try it on my Power Mac G4 since it has two 1.25GHz G4s.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Nope, I've never tried YouView. Never even heard of it for that matter, but I'll probably try it on my Power Mac G4 since it has two 1.25GHz G4s.

I find that the benefit of watching any video with higher quality outweighs the slightly higher CPU usage. It is by no means laggy however, and I find it silky smooth on my dual 1.8 GHz G5 and 1.67 GHz PowerBook G4.

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada
I find that the benefit of watching any video with higher quality outweighs the slightly higher CPU usage. It is by no means laggy however, and I find it silky smooth on my dual 1.8 GHz G5 and 1.67 GHz PowerBook G4.

I'm not concerned about how high my CPU usage is. It's how it performs under load that I'm concerned about. So, perhaps it'll work well on my Power Mac G4. I wonder if YouView is a multithreaded application.

ClamshellOfDoom

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2013
Tallahassee, FL
You are not alone.

I started way back when Apple made um apples, and I have a IIc from the days of the ancients. When I went off to college, I became a Windows guy, but I finally got tired of fixing the machine and went out and bought a PowerWave (clone). There was no turning back after that!

Current collection:

Apple IIc
Apple IIGS (ROM 3/Transwarp GS with latest ROM)
Quicksilver 2 Ghz (OWC) 768 RAM
ibook Graphite Firewire 466 Mhz
ibook Indigo
Pismo G3 1 Gb RAM
iMac 17" Core 2 Duo 2.16 Ghz, self-installed SSD, Cinema 20" display
PowerTowerPro 900 Ghz G3 (OWC) 768 Mb RAM, Apple Studio display 15"

I too have a few guitars, cats, CDs and anime`...I have a collecting gift, not a problem. :)

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
This topic explains me way too well. I only have a total of four PowerPC Macs, but it still feels like way too many. Both of my iMac G3 models sit in the closet and are simply collecting dust as they aren't usable for my tasks. The iMac G4 is out on display (it is such a good looking Mac) but isn't used as it desperately needs more RAM, a new DVD drive, and a new HDD. The eMac G4 is the most usable out of the PowerPC bunch, it's got a very decent amount of RAM and has the most processing power out of the bunch. My only gripe is it sounds like an airplane. It is SO LOUD.

I love looking at them and turning them on every once and a while but I often think to myself, do I really need to hang on to them? I know that selling them will be a tough task. Throwing them away is another option, I don't think I could trash a precious PowerPC Mac though... I need to either find a use for them or do something about them soon. I have a fairly small living space and the extra space would be nice...

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
This topic explains me way too well. I only have a total of four PowerPC Macs, but it still feels like way too many. Both of my iMac G3 models sit in the closet and are simply collecting dust as they aren't usable for my tasks. The iMac G4 is out on display (it is such a good looking Mac) but isn't used as it desperately needs more RAM, a new DVD drive, and a new HDD. The eMac G4 is the most usable out of the PowerPC bunch, it's got a very decent amount of RAM and has the most processing power out of the bunch. My only gripe is it sounds like an airplane. It is SO LOUD.

I love looking at them and turning them on every once and a while but I often think to myself, do I really need to hang on to them? I know that selling them will be a tough task. Throwing them away is another option, I don't think I could trash a precious PowerPC Mac though... I need to either find a use for them or do something about them soon. I have a fairly small living space and the extra space would be nice...

Do you know of anyone who has a use for them?

gooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2013
i have 2 g4 imacs that i use almost daily and a g3 imac that i use once a week. i can't be the only one. spread the word around and you'll find someone in baltimore or philadelphis that wants them.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014

While you don't necessarily need those G3s, I wouldn't toss them. I'd donate them to a thrift store or find a collector who may want them. By the way, don't feel bad about having four PowerPC Macs. I have 12 iMac G3s alone... and those aren't my only PowerPC Macs.

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
Sometimes people on Craigslist or FreeCycle would take them.

Sent from my PowerBook G4!

I'll list them on Craigslist and see if I have any takers. :D

While you don't necessarily need those G3s, I wouldn't toss them. I'd donate them to a thrift store or find a collector who may want them. By the way, don't feel bad about having four PowerPC Macs. I have 12 iMac G3s alone... and those aren't my only PowerPC Macs.

Don't worry, I couldn't ever throw away a PowerPC Mac. :) I'll list them on Craigslist and see if I get any bites. If I don't, I'll post them on the Marketplace here and see if there are any takers. That's a lot! Do you use any of the 12 iMac G3s?

Once I get rid of the G3s and probably the eMac, I'll probably pick up a high end PowerBook G4. It'll still be PowerPC, but a lot smaller, and more capable than the iMac G3s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.