Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sailor2000

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2013
shift key iOS 7 color & capitals / upper & lower case typing issue not resol

Hi,

Colour is a big part of Ease of Use on the iPhone.

Wondering why the blue colour shift lock key on the pop up keyboard has been replaced with grey colour changes when in other apps like, Maps, Mail, Phone, Calculator, Clock, Photos, Camera, ....(almost all native apps) use colour to highlight certain functions?

The removal of the blue colour when activating upper case typing has now slowed my overall typing down, both in landscape & portrait modes, making me less efficient at work & at home.

The reason for this is that I use both thumbs for typing in landscape & I use both right & left thumbs for typing in portrait. While typing, my left hand is usually hovering over that area of the keyboard in both modes where the shift key is located.

In previous iOS I could easily & quickly identify with my peripheral vision if the shift button was on, (be it locked or not) without consciously looking at it because my brain made a subconscious note of the colour blue in the bottom left hand corner.

Now I have to pause, move my hand/thumb aside and concentrate (albeit for a split second) to check that the shift button is on. This is happening almost every Paragraph & most sentences that I type.

I also type an upper case letter or two and have to continuously backtrack to correct it on most occasions. This simple omission/change has slowed me right down, waisting my precious time & to a lesser extent, energy.

Like all upgrades, I give myself several weeks to see if I'll acclimatise to the new changes, and 99% of the time I do. This time however my brain can not adjust & I'm not getting any faster with out the colour shift key.

If Johnny Ives & the Apple Engineers could bring themselves to surreptitiously put back the colour into the shift key function, I would have no thoughts about considering Samsung & would be a satisfied Apple Fan again.

I would be very surprised if I'm the only customer who has noticed this change.

A suggestion for consideration for the Apple Design Engineers, if not change the keyboard to upper case as suggested by others in this thread, then at the very least put the colour back into the shift key and maybe a small shift key (color) icon on the high side of the iPhone & iPad screen so we don't have to make a conscious note when we're typing. Our eyes would be able to clearly see that the shift key is on & adjust subconsciously with out slowing us down.

Yours sincerely,

Apple Customer :(:confused:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Wondering why the blue colour shift lock key on the pop up keyboard has been replaced with grey colour changes when in other apps like, Maps, Mail, Phone, Calculator, Clock, Photos, Camera, ....(almost all native apps) use colour to highlight certain functions?
I've been having trouble with the shift keys too. I'm color blind so I didn't know that the previous iOS shift key color was blue, but I notice that I'm more confused now about whether or not the key is in SHIFT mode.

I figure I'll get used to it, but for now mY tYpING HAs bAd CaPItalIzaTIon.

Nabzz

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2013
Hey my pictures and all my apps changed colour and i could only take black and white blurry pics on my phone but when i went on settings, general, accesability and clicked on invert colours my problem solved

abhinavsingh88

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2013
Another hidden tip

Open the compass application and after calibrating it, swipe your finger to the left. Tell me what do u see!!
and alignment application :D

hashia

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2013
I used to use the VPN option to break the filtering. After a while I installed OpenVPN. Again I wanted to use the VPN. So I uninstalled the OpenVPN. But in "Settings --> VPN" there was lots of options related to OpenVPN, like:

VpnOneClick- Australia lp (l2tp)
VpnOneClick- Canada lp (pptp)
VpnOneClick- France lp (l2tp)

How can I remove these options?

oldman22

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2013
U have to remove the root certificate just as you installed it u have to remove it

su5eduje.jpg

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Old Headphone Fix for iPhone Cable

Don't know if anyone else has done this before, but THIS was a project for tangle-free headphones, and was repurposed HERE to cover iPhone cables. One of my two Lightning cables had become frayed, and I took to this project to save $20 or so. A friend of mine had the string lying around, since her sister used to make these "Friendship Bracelets" all time time. So I borrowed some string, and sure enough, a nice colorful coating over the frayed part of the cable, that's still flexible. Pretty cool if you're into a bit of an arts-and-crafts project and need to save an iPhone cable.

-N

Attachments

• IMG_7753.jpeg
    IMG_7753.jpeg
    912 KB · Views: 286

Unkei

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Turn Cellular Off

[/COLOR]
I am expecting to buy my first iPhone in a few months (Yes I know I am five years late) So, ..since the carriers are inhibiting data caps, is it possible to turn off the service if you have WiFi, and still send and receive calls? OR does the entire thing shut off and I am reduced to using a VoIP app instead on WiFi? Thanks.

I may be naive but I would have thought the data and voice would be separate to use. Again this is my first iPhone... and smartphone all together :)

For SlasherDuff
(If iphone is connected to wifi it will transmit data over wifi instead of using cellular. I think that is what you were asking.
Moreover, I think he means "can you turn off cellular data altogether"? The answer is yes. You can find this option under Settings>General>Network. When you're connected to WiFi, feel free to turn off cellular data entirely to preserve your data plan.)
Yes, and you will still be able to make and recieve calls, without changing this setting back. This only affects whether you are using Cellular Data for other tasks, like surfing the web..etc. I keep my cellular data turned off at all times, unless I'm somewhere without wifi access and wish to use SIRI or surf the web. Then I turn it back on for that task only, and immediately turn it back off, so I don't forget it was turned on! (Easy to do that when you're a doddering old fool like me, with his first ever smart phone!). Not trying to hijack (your reply Kyotoma), just wanted to add this for newbie clarification, as I originally thought turning off cellular data would prevent me from making and receiving calls! Tain't so.. LOL! And I'm sure I replied in wrong place anyway!
Cheers,
Unkei

Last edited by a moderator:

heycal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2013
Just read through this entire thread. There are some very useful and sometimes subtle tricks and tips in here I suspect most iphoners don't know about. Very informative. Thanks.

heycal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2013
There's one 'tip' I'd like to hear about

Is it possible to scroll up to see previous texts if you've typed enough to cover the window?

Excellent question.

press the area right below the recipients name and drag downwards, to bring the keyboard back up double click your text

Yes and no. Once you've written a certain amount, that area disappears and there is no way to scroll up. So, if you are in the process of composing a lengthy text, and want to scroll back up for a moment to see what a previous text said, you can not, as far as I can tell.

laurenjeanbean

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2010
California
I just got my 6 Plus, and since we all know it's supposed to have amazing battery life, I want to make sure I take full advantage of it. I just got it yesterday and other than syncing it, haven't plugged it in. It's at 9% now...should I let it die and then re-charge? What are some good, concrete battery tips?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I just got my 6 Plus, and since we all know it's supposed to have amazing battery life, I want to make sure I take full advantage of it. I just got it yesterday and other than syncing it, haven't plugged it in. It's at 9% now...should I let it die and then re-charge? What are some good, concrete battery tips?
No patterns thst need to be followed. Use the device as you want and charge it as often as you want/need for as long or short as you want/need. Today's batteries don't need any type of usage or charging patterns to work well.

TruBleu

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
The Hague, Netherlands
Timer for Music

If you're someone like me, who likes to put on the music on your iPhone and drift to sleep, you might find this functionality useful. Open Clock app and then 'Timer'. Set the timer for, say, 1 hr 00 mins (it takes me anywhere between 30-45 minutes to fall asleep once I close my eyes and hence the 1 hr timer) and click on 'When timer ends', scroll down to the very bottom and select 'stop playing' and then activate the timer. Now you can start your favourite playlist from the music app and close your eyes....the music will stop playing in 1 hr :) Works on videos and audiobooks as well. But I don't think non-native apps like Spotify/Rdio,etc.. can use the feature

Last edited:

Ibaorus

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2014

For more battery tips, you can refer Apple website

https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

Normally, I will charge my iPhone when it's around 20%.

Also, you should let the battery go through one charge cycle per month. However, if you use your iPhone often, then you don't have to do it.

heycal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2013
I recommend that anyone who doesn't already consider themselves an expert on iphones to read the user manual cover to cover. I'm currently working my way through the manual for my 6, and while most of it I already knew, I'm surprised at how many cool little tips I've picked up so far, things I never in a million years would have ever realized without reading the manual.

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
Searched for "rotate wallpaper" and found nothing. Sometimes a nice wallpaper looks better from another angle. I've been emailing them to another device for rotation, but is there another easier way to do this? Hard to believe this expensive device can't do this simple task. Maybe I've missed it??
EDIT: Yup, missed it. Finally got to that part in the rather large manual. LOL! Cool features.

Last edited:

frifra

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Searched for "rotate wallpaper" and found nothing. Sometimes a nice wallpaper looks better from another angle. I've been emailing them to another device for rotation, but is there another easier way to do this? Hard to believe this expensive device can't do this simple task. Maybe I've missed it??
EDIT: Yup, missed it. Finally got to that part in the rather large manual. LOL! Cool features.

Is there a manual for the iphone 6 with all it's features?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.