Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dagdagdag234

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
The people who theorize iPhones are bending because of a bad batch... Just curious how that would work. A bad batch of aluminum? DOesn't make sense to me. Could it really be anything other than a general design that is more fragile than previous iPhones?

Don't get me wrong I'm hoping for the bad batch theory I just don't get the concept behind such thinking.

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
That was one of my theories as well. Could be due to variances in metallurgy. Maybe someone here or there forgot to put in a certain part for an alloy or different formulas were used.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
A good test would be to measure the force required to bend 10 or so iPhones and see if there is a large variance. Obviously, this would have to be done by a well established 3rd party institution or something :)

Last edited:

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
A good test would be to measure the force required to bend 10 or so iPhones and see if there is a large variance. Obviously, this would have to be done by a well established 3rd party institution or something :)
That would be nice. Unfortunately it seems no one has the resources to do such an intensive evaluation apart from Apple. The only real scientific test we've seen so far was by Consumer Reports, which could only afford one of each phone. The ideal test would have ten or so iPhones each from different factories and made at different time periods.

But I imagine Apple had done the tests themselves, and the bending problem is actually due to a bad "batch", it would not be something they could've foreseen.

Vundu

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
Sounds like wishful thinking. I think it is the design and Apple wanting it so thin.

I would of been happier with it being thicker, stronger with a larger battery.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
If it is in fact an isolated incident affecting a certain batch, wouldn't Apple do a recall for the affected units much like the battery recall they did for the iPhone 5?

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
I'm torn, sometimes I think it sounds hokey.

Sometimes I think that raw slags of aluminum probably come in different qualities/grades each slag having its own imperfections/etc. When processed out, can possibly lead to "batches" that for no discernible reason, due not meet standards. Similar to liquor. There's always an outlier.

McPc

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
CA
I guess what would be interesting would be to find out if those that got replacement phones end up having it bend on them a second time.

Will those on their second phone change any of their habits?

skierbri10

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2009
If you are a mechanic and you've ever used Chinese tools you will understand how horrible chinese metals are. Bad batch seems legit.

Vundu

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
You only need to look how thin it is around the buttons. Does that look strong?

I love my 6 and think it is the best phone I have ever had. I do wish it was thicker though.

Last edited:

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Bad batch of users more like....I hardly think after years of iPhone production that Apple would not know/rectify "bad aluminium". How ridiculous if you know anything about metal and product engineering. Haha

Prolif1k

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2009
Bad batch of users more like....I hardly think after years of iPhone production that Apple would not know/rectify "bad aluminium". How ridiculous if you know anything about metal and product engineering. Haha

Don't just assume that every bent iPhone was strictly the user's fault.

I've suddenly had a realization today that every bent phone I've seen has been Space Grey. Have there been any bent Gold or Silver phones? If not, that may be pointing to something...

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
If it is in fact an isolated incident affecting a certain batch, wouldn't Apple do a recall for the affected units much like the battery recall they did for the iPhone 5?

Yeah, probably two years after so they'd avoid any bad publicity. Doing it now would spread like wild fire, but to years from now on, they might initiate a small call back on their website telling you to enter the serial number and see if your eligible.

Apple is just as sneaky/terrible as any other corporation in that regard.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Just curious how that would work
To me a bad batch would mean that something flawed occurred in the manufacturing stage of the phone. I can't see how this would only affect a batch of phones, unless a piece of equipment was not operating correctly. Still I think its a stretch. I agree, I just don't see how this could occur.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I just hope that after the 6, Apple gets over it's thin obsession and keep enough thickness to be able to stand what most people put their phone through on a daily basis. This was nice but hope we move on after the 6 and 6S

wermy

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2013
Don't just assume that every bent iPhone was strictly the user's fault.

I've suddenly had a realization today that every bent phone I've seen has been Space Grey. Have there been any bent Gold or Silver phones? If not, that may be pointing to something...

That website that scours instagram and the like for bent iphones shows a variety of colors:

http://www.oneofthenine.con

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
The people who theorize iPhones are bending because of a bad batch... Just curious how that would work. A bad batch of aluminum? DOesn't make sense to me. Could it really be anything other than a general design that is more fragile than previous iPhones?

Don't get me wrong I'm hoping for the bad batch theory I just don't get the concept behind such thinking.

I think it's the design. The bending is occurring at the same point. Look at all the posted images.

iceperson

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2014
Honestly, I expect most people who carry their 6 in their front jean pockets to have bent phones 6 months from now. I really hope I'm wrong, but just watching how my 6 warped pulling it out of the case it was in I think these phones are flawed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.