Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Porterest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2014
Hi, everyone!

I'm hoping to some get some advice.

I've been working with an IPad 4 since I upgraded from the original iPad. I love my iPad and use it everyday. My reading library is is on it (and I read a lot.). Occasionally, via my Tivo, my TV shows are on there. That's in addition to basic news apps, email and so on. I teach a few courses online; I mainly use a laptop for this, but the Ipad is handy to pick up and check a few things every now and then.

Even though I've owned several iDevice and computers, the only time I've had problems with the iPad was a cracked screen during my last move. It's been replaced twice and is thinly cracked again due to the repair guys not explaining until now that when the screen is replaced, it is much more delicate than ever before. (I keep my device in a good case 24/7, so the replacement materials must be fragile.)

All of that is history--Given the amount of usage (high) and the fact I can't get any trade in money, do you think the IPad Air 2 is worth it for me? Other than a fresh screen, will I notice that much difference?

Any advice and thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Please and thank you!

RockSpider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
Hi, everyone!

I'm hoping to some get some advice.

I've been working with an IPad 4 since I upgraded from the original iPad. I love my iPad and use it everyday. My reading library is is on it (and I read a lot.). Occasionally, via my Tivo, my TV shows are on there. That's in addition to basic news apps, email and so on. I teach a few courses online; I mainly use a laptop for this, but the Ipad is handy to pick up and check a few things every now and then.

Even though I've owned several iDevice and computers, the only time I've had problems with the iPad was a cracked screen during my last move. It's been replaced twice and is thinly cracked again due to the repair guys not explaining until now that when the screen is replaced, it is much more delicate than ever before. (I keep my device in a good case 24/7, so the replacement materials must be fragile.)

All of that is history--Given the amount of usage (high) and the fact I can't get any trade in money, do you think the IPad Air 2 is worth it for me? Other than a fresh screen, will I notice that much difference?

Any advice and thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Please and thank you!
You should notice a big decrease in weight, maybe a bit in speed, apart from that not much else. If you can go and check one out before buying. I was a bit disappointed coming from an Air so I didnt buy it.
Maybe hold off for a bit as there seems to be a few problems with speakers and wireless, but some of that could be software related.
In the end it's up to you, you could be amazed, but I doubt it.

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013
I'm on a 3 to an Air 2, just got it yesterday, and I'll have to test this more, but I think I can already notice less eye strain - not totally sure since I just got it, but will get some time this weekend to put some reading time on it.

Maybe it's the anti-glare or a change in contrast between the 3 display and the Air 2, but also just holding it is fantastic compared to the 3 which is a big plus too.

Porterest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2014
I did upgrade from ipad 4 to Air2, and I'm so glad I did! The Air 2 is so much thinner and faster; it makes a huge difference, as I'm always on my Ipad. Thanks to the posters here for your help!

Ladyc0524

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2014
I did upgrade from ipad 4 to Air2, and I'm so glad I did! The Air 2 is so much thinner and faster; it makes a huge difference, as I'm always on my Ipad. Thanks to the posters here for your help!

Same here. I got tired of lugging that heavy iPad 4 around so I upgraded to the Air 2 and I am happy with my purchase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.